• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First west coast trip of the year - Rangers V. Halos 4/19-21

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update on Rangers K watch:

after 18 games, they sit at 192 K's. Pace is 1728 K's for the season (record is 1595).
Not surprised during a rebuild. I expect some of these names will not be here when the final decisions are made. That should account for some of the numbers. Also wonder just how effective our hitting instructor is. Pressure on young players play into the problem too. All in all there is not much experience at this level which explains some of it.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised during a rebuild. I expect some of these names will not be here when the final decisions are made. That should account for some of the numbers. Also wonder just how effective our hitting instructor is. Pressure on young players play into the problem too. All in all there is not much experience at this level which explains some of it.

I haven’t liked a rangers hitting instructor since Clint hurdle was here. With that said, I do think the pitching coaches are earning their money so far.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hard to tell, although yes it's to be expected and there are multiple causes. I follow along on gameday so I cannot see the pitches live, but last night it seemed as though Ohtani couldn't find the plate. walked 3 straight with 1 out, and the hitters didn't capitalize.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In mid-July of 2019 we had hitters in our lineup with OPS of 1.069, .894, .869, .803, and .792.

The first was Gallo. He got hurt, then 2020 happened, and then they talked him into changing his swing.

The second was Choo. He would finish the season only 7 weeks later, about 70 points lower. It was simply time for Choo to move on.

The third was Danny Santana. He would finish the season just a few points lower, despite everyone predicting all season long that his bubble would burst. Then 2020 happened and he also got hurt. The Rangers decided they didn't need his bat and versatility and released him.

The fourth was Calhoun. His OPS went up 45 points over those final 7 weeks. He is still here and hopefully can get back to that level.

The fifth one was Elvis. His OPS would go on to drop some 85 points in 7 weeks, as the bottom fell out for him for some reason.

Since that year we have traded out Mathis/Kiner-Falefa at catcher for Trevino and that is a big boost offensively. We have also basically switched out Mazara and his .786 OPS for Dahl, resulting in a 265 point drop thus far. History says Dahl will be much better though.

We acquired Solak later that month and he did very well offensively. He is trying to show that that wasn't a fluke.

That is kind of how we got from that point to where we are now. Offensively, we are not in a very good place right now.

At that point in mid-July 2019 we had a record of 50-42(.543).

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In mid-July of 2019 we had hitters in our lineup with OPS of 1.069, .894, .869, .803, and .792.

The first was Gallo. He got hurt, then 2020 happened, and then they talked him into changing his swing.

The second was Choo. He would finish the season only 7 weeks later, about 70 points lower. It was simply time for Choo to move on.

The third was Danny Santana. He would finish the season just a few points lower, despite everyone predicting all season long that his bubble would burst. Then 2020 happened and he also got hurt. The Rangers decided they didn't need his bat and versatility and released him.

The fourth was Calhoun. His OPS went up 45 points over those final 7 weeks. He is still here and hopefully can get back to that level.

The fifth one was Elvis. His OPS would go on to drop some 85 points in 7 weeks, as the bottom fell out for him for some reason.

Since that year we have traded out Mathis/Kiner-Falefa at catcher for Trevino and that is a big boost offensively. We have also basically switched out Mazara and his .786 OPS for Dahl, resulting in a 265 point drop thus far. History says Dahl will be much better though.

We acquired Solak later that month and he did very well offensively. He is trying to show that that wasn't a fluke.

That is kind of how we got from that point to where we are now. Offensively, we are not in a very good place right now.

At that point in mid-July 2019 we had a record of 50-42(.543).

I suppose it could be worse. Looking at Elvis' and Odor's numbers this year, at least they aren't in the lineup anymore.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose it could be worse. Looking at Elvis' and Odor's numbers this year, at least they aren't in the lineup anymore.
And Gallo does not help either.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Gallo does not help either.

I can't knock Gallo right now. He's leading the Rangers regulars in OBP (and 7th in all of MLB) and all of MLB in walks.

Which is why he needs to be hitting 2nd. Let him keep getting on base and give others a chance to drive him in.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo is the next A-Rod, but without the 'actual' quandy numbers of sir A-Roid..........Meaning: he's going to be overpaid regardless of staying here or going elsewhere, and if he stays, he'll financially drain the bank account so piecing together other key components will be damn near impossible.......And frankly, from the little I've read/heard about him recently, it certainly appears he has no desire to be here any longer than he has to be..........He's beginning to look & act more and more like his former teammate Harper (how's that working out for the Phillies?), and this isn't a good thing for anyone other than himself and Boras!.......In all fairness to the Rangers FO, they're really caught in a awful trap with Gallo, and I'm not so sure they had little to do with setting it. But maybe this is just me attempting to give JD a tad of wiggle-room, and I'm not sure why I want to do that since I'm far from his biggest fan.

I haven't seen Gallo express a disinterest in being here (not to say that isn't the case, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least).

It certainly is a case of baptism by fire for our new GM, and Gallo's performance is such a mystery that it makes it that much more worse, in my opinion.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Solak at #2 makes zero sense to me.

Garcia
Gallo
Lowe
Solak
Culby
IKF
Heim
White
Taveras

that's how I'd roll.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rocker really needs to finish strong so that we can pick either him or Leiter.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen Gallo express a disinterest in being here (not to say that isn't the case, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least).

It certainly is a case of baptism by fire for our new GM, and Gallo's performance is such a mystery that it makes it that much more worse, in my opinion.
I still listen to Norm a little, and he recently quoted Gallo with lamenting how he's booed if he hits HRs or Ks, and he'll probably be booed for trying to be an on-base (W), bunt for a single guy - which I saw on ESPN, and thought not only was it great, but if he (more players) were willing to do this, then the shift would go the way of the Doo-Doo bird without legislation - in other words, at least according to Norm, it sounded a lot like, one of those 'Poor old me' quotes from an overappreciated player...........Perhaps my interpretation of what Hitzges said, but I think it's close.......Regardless, I think the Rangers are in a really tough situation of what to do with this guy, short/long term, etc.......But for me, attempting to sign him long term is another Titanic moment in our history, and that's with or without AC.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still listen to Norm a little, and he recently quoted Gallo with lamenting how he's booed if he hits HRs or Ks, and he'll probably be booed for trying to be an on-base (W), bunt for a single guy - which I saw on ESPN, and thought not only was it great, but if he (more players) were willing to do this, then the shift would go the way of the Doo-Doo bird without legislation - in other words, at least according to Norm, it sounded a lot like, one of those 'Poor old me' quotes from an overappreciated player...........Perhaps my interpretation of what Hitzges said, but I think it's close.......Regardless, I think the Rangers are in a really tough situation of what to do with this guy, short/long term, etc.......But for me, attempting to sign him long term is another Titanic moment in our history, and that's with or without AC.
I think you are so right. If he and Boras seek a contract like Trout Harper etc, he will be disappointed.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“It shows I don't need to hit for power to still be effective, so I think that's pretty cool,” Gallo said. “At the same time, [hitting home runs] is just not what the team needs from me right now. The team needs for me to get on base and keep the line moving for the guys behind me."

...Gallo put in the effort over the last few years to become a more well-rounded player. He said that he remembers that people called him “the worst 40-home run hitter” and he has worked to become more than just that. It started with his defense, where he won an American League Gold Glove in right field in 2020, and he has developed into even more at the plate in ‘21.

Gallo is also not worried about the naysayers anymore. While he doesn’t really use social media much, he’s focused on the task at hand -- becoming a better player and leader for the Rangers.

“I just tried to focus on ... what's going on in our clubhouse, what's going on within our team and within our walls, that's really it,” Gallo said. “I don't really focus too much anymore like what the media is saying and stats and how other players are doing, stuff like that. I just focus on the task at hand and that's for us to win a game today. And tomorrow is going to be the same thing.”