• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First west coast trip of the year - Rangers V. Halos 4/19-21

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps I 'misquoted' or 'overstated' on Norm's behalf. But his overall view sure didn't seem like a shot in the arm for Gallo's future with Rangers.....And frankly, that's a wonderful quote from Gallo re: 'focusing on us/winning today's game' blah-blah, but the cold-hard-truth is - as WE all know - is this: Today's game matters not an iota! It's not even about 2022. It's the bigger picture.......Gallo is going to cost someone around a quarter of a billion dollars very soon, and it won't be b/c they think he's willing to take a walk/bunt against the shift, or win one for the Gipper nonsense.

IMO Gallo is a tremendously talented player. He has power few have, well above average speed in the OF/base paths, terrific arm (under appreciated), seems like a good teammate, and honestly, pretty decent guy.......However, he's on pace to hit about a dozen HRs, and his cost is a Gazillion shortly! But what-the-hey. Maybe he'll lead us to a few games under .500, and then the Great Satan (Galloway's term for Boras), can con someone into paying the freight......I hope it ain't the Rangers!
Good post!! Also consider he has been around 6 yrs. Is his best years ahead or have we seen them already? I agree completely concerning all the positives you pointed out but no way do I want the Rangers to extend him the money he and Great Satan will demand.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there’s any possibility Rocker could be the next Dillon Tate, I’d consider drafting Lawler. Id love for leiter to fall to us tho.
That possibility always exist but I sure get the message.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps I 'misquoted' or 'overstated' on Norm's behalf. But his overall view sure didn't seem like a shot in the arm for Gallo's future with Rangers.....And frankly, that's a wonderful quote from Gallo re: 'focusing on us/winning today's game' blah-blah, but the cold-hard-truth is - as WE all know - is this: Today's game matters not an iota! It's not even about 2022. It's the bigger picture.......Gallo is going to cost someone around a quarter of a billion dollars very soon, and it won't be b/c they think he's willing to take a walk/bunt against the shift, or win one for the Gipper nonsense.

IMO Gallo is a tremendously talented player. He has power few have, well above average speed in the OF/base paths, terrific arm (under appreciated), seems like a good teammate, and honestly, pretty decent guy.......However, he's on pace to hit about a dozen HRs, and his cost is a Gazillion shortly! But what-the-hey. Maybe he'll lead us to a few games under .500, and then the Great Satan (Galloway's term for Boras), can con someone into paying the freight......I hope it ain't the Rangers!
It's pretty clear a lack of protection in the lineup and fear of Gallo is leading to pitchers pitching around, but also he hasn't done much with the opportunities he's gotten so far... but that's probably largely do to the shift, time will tell and there's plenty of time to get hot

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the day of traditional baseball when you didn’t do such things
We would adjust a foot or two but nothing like today's shift. Was unheard of.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is more from Scott Lucas on the draft.

"MLB.com’s latest mock draft has the Rangers landing Dallas Jesuit shortstop Jordan Lawlar with the #2 pick after Vandy righty Jack Leiter. Jamey Newberg, whom you may know from such publications as the Newberg Report, has a terrific feature on Lawlar at The Athletic that details Lawler’s apparently unshakable commitment to Vanderbilt. We’ll see. He can confirm that commitment by removing his name from the draft. Absent that, I expect him to sign."

"Internal opinions among clubs will vary, of course, but for the sake of argument, let’s stipulate that Lawlar and Vandy hurler Jack Leiter are the clear top-two choices on draft day. (Leiter’s teammate Kumar Rocker has slid a little, and others such as Louisville catcher Henry Davis and prep shortstops Marcelo Mayer and Brady House may warrant consideration in July.) In that respect, Texas’s decision is easy: pick who Pittsburgh doesn’t. I’m fine with either. It’s not as though one is a 7-level prospect and the other a 5. The draft doesn’t contain a Harper or Strasburg."

"Choosing between the two is trickier. Position players are less risky. Arms can explode at any time. On the other hand, Leiter is a polished prospect with a relatively small gap between current performance and potential, while an investment in Lawlar probably doesn’t produce returns before 2025. Grabbing a player with a quicker payoff has to be tempting."

"Also under consideration is Texas’s recent inability to select and develop MLB starting pitching. The last pitcher drafted by Texas who threw 150 innings as a Ranger is Derek Holland in 2013. In the past three seasons, the most starting innings by a Texas-drafted pitcher is 18 by Kyle Cody in 2020. Should that background impel Texas to favor hitters? I don’t think so. You (in the role of GM) have to have faith in the people you’ve hired to develop pitching. They’re your people, after all. If you feel a pitcher is the better pick but you’ve lost faith in the development staff, the answer isn’t to pick a hitter, it’s to replace the development staff. Your organizational policy can’t be “we’re bad at doing pitching, let’s look elsewhere.” It’s like Amazon saying “we haven’t done distribution well lately, so we’ll focus on the website.” No! It’s too important not to fix. (I haven't carefully studied the SP development success of Texas's division mates as a comparison, but I will.)"

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is funny.