• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First look at the Bears offseason (mock free agents and full draft)

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day two of the free agency period is over and nothing at all in terms of any developments on the FA front. It's quite possible that Poles goes into a holding pattern from this point forward, perhaps all the way thru the draft. If I had to pass out grades, which of course is silly because these would only be paper grades at best, but in recognizing this I'd nonetheless give out:

The trade. In moving from #1 to #9, Poles managed to extract from the Panthers:
This year's #61
1st round in '24
2nd round in '25
True #1 starter in WR DJ Moore

It would probably be more fitting that I place the Moore acquisition under free agency, being he's an established NFL player under contract for three more years. And not to mention that it did reduce our cap space by 20some million. Totally worth it tho.
Grade: A

Free agency:
During the first two days of free agency, Poles has signed:
MLB TJ Sanders
MLB Tremaine Edmunds
G Nate Davis
DE DeMarcus Walker
RB Travis Home
r
Grade: C+
In fairness, we don't know what's gone on behind the scenes during this period. Poles may have tried to sign more players than he was able to for all we know. While we no doubt super built up the LB unit - we might now arguably be a top 5 in the league, two critical needs at OT and DT were not addressed at all, and to me these superseded the LB spots in terms of importance. Yes, we did shore up the OL a touch and some are saying Walker could be the sleeper signing of this group. And suddenly we have a very decent WR unit. But we also lost our starting RB.

Bottom line is as of today the Bears are without a doubt an improved team. But a playoff caliber team? Who knows, but my gut tells me no, not yet. We're still missing much needed talent in the two most important units, the DL & OL, with the latter being the one that protects JF. Hello??? Yet there should be more opportunities to help fill these needs, either in more free agency signings (as in post June 1st) and the draft.
C+ is pretty lowball, dude.

It's TJ Edwards btw. He's a baller.

They completely cured the LB corps for lower than Roquan's contract. They got a stud Guard. They got a good young d-lineman. Homer, I couldn't give any less fucks about.

Now Robert Tonyan and D'Onta Foreman!? Good stuff.

Poles is killing it so far.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to give Poles credit, he's continuing to fill holes and while none of the signings today broke the internet, it definitely appears that the Bears are better now than they were yesterday. In terms of importance, I'd have to rank the D'Onta Foreman signing as tops, followed closely behind with the inking of Robert Tonyan.

New Grade: B-
Ninja GIF by Walk Off The Earth

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C+ is pretty lowball, dude.

It's TJ Edwards btw. He's a baller.

They completely cured the LB corps for lower than Roquan's contract. They got a stud Guard. They got a good young d-lineman. Homer, I couldn't give any less fucks about.

Now Robert Tonyan and D'Onta Foreman!? Good stuff.

Poles is killing it so far.
After today I raised it to a B- Loved the two signings today in Foreman and Tonyan. Maybe I should have elevated it to a solid B. The reason for the original lowish grade is I felt two of our three biggest needs, DT and OT, were not addressed, and even addressing the 3rd biggest need, DE remains to be seen if it was a good signing. If/when Poles signs or drafts a top end OT and DT, then I'm more than willing to be completely on board.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid FA so far. I think they could have reached deeper for DL.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t listen to the idiot giving out C+ lol. Poles deserves an A+ for what he has done so far. You cannot sign everybody but he signed key guys that allows him a clear path to the draft. I don’t think Poles could have done better than he has.

As far as the draft it’s obvious it’ll be the lines. If he can execute this will go down as the greatest offseason in Bears history. But make no mistake, up until now, Poles deserves an A+

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
High grade due to staying out of the bidding wars and the appearance of getting guys that actually want to be here.
I would have appreciated extending Monty and you can blow 18 million on one bad contract like they did with Quinn his first season here. Braxton Jones though, did his job, developed well, and is disgustingly cheap thru 2025, so it is understandable to get out on McGlitchery and Brown, but why evenkick the tires on them?

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
High grade due to staying out of the bidding wars and the appearance of getting guys that actually want to be here.
I would have appreciated extending Monty and you can blow 18 million on one bad contract like they did with Quinn his first season here. Braxton Jones though, did his job, developed well, and is disgustingly cheap thru 2025, so it is understandable to get out on McGlitchery and Brown, but why evenkick the tires on them?

Lets face it. Montgomery was not that good. He will not be missed. I know idiots in here called him "elite" but he was far far from that. We got Homer + Foreman for less than it would have cost Monty. I'm fine with that.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t listen to the idiot giving out C+ lol. Poles deserves an A+ for what he has done so far. You cannot sign everybody but he signed key guys that allows him a clear path to the draft. I don’t think Poles could have done better than he has.

As far as the draft it’s obvious it’ll be the lines. If he can execute this will go down as the greatest offseason in Bears history. But make no mistake, up until now, Poles deserves an A+

I would agree. He was able strengthen some positions and allow himself to narrow his draft board to focus on areas of extreme need.

You can't fill all the holes in one offseason. But I think he did a really good job in the first few days of free agency and he has the draft capital to really do some damage in April.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which of your posts have been deleted or edited? I agree, that shouldn't happen.

I've had a sentence edited out of one post and another post completely deleted.

In fairness...both were just me being an asshole. But there are plenty of assholes all over this forum.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had a sentence edited out of one post and another post completely deleted.

In fairness...both were just me being an asshole. But there are plenty of assholes all over this forum.
Well, unless you threatened someone's life or something along that nature, I'm a free speech guy and not a fan whatsoever of post deletions or edits from others.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How much did we give Tonyan? If we gave him 3.7 million or more like the Packers did there's no way I can accept an A+ grade from genius. Dude was having a conniption fit at the idea we could drop a 6th rounder on a TE.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much did we give Tonyan? If we gave him 3.7 million or more like the Packers did there's no way I can accept an A+ grade from genius. Dude was having a conniption fit at the idea we could drop a 6th rounder on a TE.
just see its a one year deal. The guy was an UDFA playing with a real quarterback. Kind of think a team like the bears who barely throw, let alone 11 times in the end zone to a TE, would have been available in a late round pick.

People getting giddy about all the signings, but 9 picks is basically 20% of the roster so all picks are not going to make the squad this year.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just see its a one year deal. The guy was an UDFA playing with a real quarterback. Kind of think a team like the bears who barely throw, let alone 11 times in the end zone to a TE, would have been available in a late round pick.

People getting giddy about all the signings, but 9 picks is basically 20% of the roster so all picks are not going to make the squad this year.

That's kind of why I feel we're gonna consolidate our picks and trade up at least once come draft time if a guy we want opens up in the earlier draft.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I like this move (D'Onta Foreman). He's only 26 (soon to be 27), and doesn't have a lot of mileage on his legs, in part due to injuries earlier in his career. I trust he's completely healthy now - proof of that is him having his best season as a pro this past year, gaining 914 yards on 203 carries, for a 4.5 avg. Haven't seen him much on game film, but based on his 6' 235lb frame, it appears he's more of a bruiser type back, which would offset nicely with Hebert's cut-n-zip approach. Doesn't seem to be much of a factor in the passing game tho, and I have no idea how he is at blocking.
Here are some highlights from his play in '22. Liking this signing more and more by the day.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's kind of why I feel we're gonna consolidate our picks and trade up at least once come draft time if a guy we want opens up in the earlier draft.
I'm with ya on this. We have the right number of picks to package for moving up, assuming the right player is there for Poles liking. Besides, for those who want Poles to accumulate even more picks, I'm sure he'll have plenty of opportunities to do this as well.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some highlights and analysis of our new guard, Nate Davis. The analyst really likes this signing for da Bearssss:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Jonah Williams wants out of Cincy because of the Orlando Brown signing.......

I always thought he was a top 15 olineman,but I read he had a dysmal season last year.......a 61 grade kast season...
But he had a 74.5 offensive grade in 2021 and a 70.1 grade in 2020......

Any thoughts.......??