• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First look at the Bears offseason (mock free agents and full draft)

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well scratch that Orlando Brown.......he is now a Bengall.

Ugh
the rich get richer. They got another guard, still in on Cody and Patrick, both were expected cuts. Maybe Jenkins gets another shot at tackle. Not really sure it is a good idea if he loses and gets stuck back inside after he finally embraced inside, but I thought the inside depth was decent other than center.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's quite possible that Poles goes into a holding pattern from this point forward, perhaps all the way thru the draft.
NFL teams had until the 15th to be legally under the cap. I would imagine that some teams are still crunching numbers (restructuring contracts, negotiating trades, or even considering cutting some players) to create more cap space.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well scratch that Orlando Brown.......he is now a Bengall.

Ugh
I'm surprised he signed so soon after taking into account that the contract is only worth 4/64 (includes a $31m signing bonus). I was thinking he was holding out for much bigger coinage.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still don’t have a DLine or an OT. A lot of people seem to think Poles already found a LTnin the draft and maybe he can do it again. We also need defensive line players like crazy.

We’re getting to know Poles a lot in this off-season. I still don’t know quite what I’m seeing yet though. He seems frugal. He doesn’t seem panicked at all. We had a chance this free agency to go into the draft without a big time need. Now, when we make trades or are about to pick, other teams have a good idea of who we will take. Taking a dlinemen? You might need to jump the bears. It is a picky criticism this far, but we need to keep it in mind as we move forward. Hopefully, he doesn’t reach for some players in hopes they might fill a hole.

I hope striking out on big time FAs is a sign of his long game and being frugal. A couple million here and there doesn’t seem like much, but it can mean a big difference when you actually need a top flight player at a position of weakness when you’re a contender. He’s done fantastic so far, imho.
I agree with your overall view on this matter. And specifically you nailed those two takes I bolded. Poles does seem frugal, yet at the same time it's as if he doesn't have a care in the world, like he knows big things are coming down the pike. But from where? Not sure whether to interpret this as self confidence or a smokescreen.

I understand that there's still the draft, more signings following additonal cuts, and as you suggested, we shouldn't overlook the likelihood of Poles saving some of that cap space for next year. He's probably going with the attitude that we're more on a 2-3 year plan than trying for the whole enchilada this season. For those Bears fans, kinda including me, who aren't so patient, this is looking like another season of wait till next year.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Seems frugal" when he gave a linebacker 42 million guaranteed? Naaahhh...He just spends on what he wants to spend.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Seems frugal" when he gave a linebacker 42 million guaranteed? Naaahhh...He just spends on what he wants to spend.
He could have signed a number of key players for lesser amounts than what was projected for them. He could have easily outbid the teams that did sign the players for those lesser amounts. Sorry, but the word frugal is still in play here.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The o-line is a trip. Teven Jenkins played very well last year, when healthy. But Nate Davis prolly gets the start at RG, so they are either drafting a RT, or thinking about kicking Jenkins out to Tackle.

Braxton Jones played pretty darn well for a rookie last year.

So as it stands...

Braxton Jones LT
Cody Whitehair LG
Lucas Patrick C
Nate Davis RG
Teven Jenkins RT

Wouldn't be surprised to see them go Tackle early.

That front 4 on D needs some serious bodies. The front 7 was by far the weakest link last year. Back 7 looks to be GREAT this year. That front 4 doe. Ugh. It needs a couple day one starters, at least.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched an interview between DJ and Jeff Joniak. What a humble, team-first player he is. Man, I can't wait to see him performing in a Bears uniform this season.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could have signed a number of key players for lesser amounts than what was projected for them. He could have easily outbid the teams that did sign the players for those lesser amounts. Sorry, but the word frugal is still in play here.

That so? I haven't heard a word about a player we bid on and lost. From what I've seen Poles got every player he wanted...

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That so? I haven't heard a word about a player we bid on and lost. From what I've seen Poles got every player he wanted...
No, I didn't say he missed out on a specific player, altho it was reported that he was in early on McGlinchey, but wasn't about to get in a bidding war over him. What I meant and perhaps stated it poorly was that there were a number of key players that many of us discussed as potential Bears who signed for less than what was expected - amounts that easily would have fit into Poles budget. Now whether or not he made any efforts at signing some of these players is a whole nuther story. Maybe he wasn't interested or if he was, not at the price. All I know is there was some fine talent that signed reasonable contracts with teams not called the Bears.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched an interview between DJ and Jeff Joniak. What a humble, team-first player he is. Man, I can't wait to see him performing in a Bears uniform this season.
And now I just finished watching Tremaine's presser. And talk about excited to be a Bear and ready to hit the ground running, this guy is 100% all in. Very refreshing to watch, I'd highly recommend.

One thing that's interesting. I remember back prior to the '18 draft, I had only weeks earlier joined Sports SportsHoopla. I recall in here the discussions as to whether we should go with Roquan Smith or Edmunds. So just for kicks, I revisited the draft and couldn't help but notice how many big names were taken in the 1st round. Naturally, not everyone lived up to their draft slot, but a lot of them sure have gone on to very successful careers in the NFL and still going strong.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears signing qb PJ Walker.....along with dt Andrew Billings......

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also signing Robert Tonyan.

A 2nd TE that can catch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears signing qb PJ Walker.....along with dt Andrew Billings......
With the Billings signing, this could possibly tip the scales for Poles to use his 1st pick on the OL. Not that Billings is any kind of game changer, but he played just well enough last year to be penciled in as a starter, or until someone better is signed.

D’onta Foreman too.
Hey, I like this move. He's only 26 (soon to be 27), and doesn't have a lot of mileage on his legs, in part due to injuries earlier in his career. I trust he's completely healthy now - proof of that is him having his best season as a pro this past year, gaining 914 yards on 203 carries, for a 4.5 avg. Haven't seen him much on game film, but based on his 6' 235lb frame, it appears he's more of a bruiser type back, which would offset nicely with Hebert's cut-n-zip approach. Doesn't seem to be much of a factor in the passing game tho, and I have no idea how he is at blocking.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to pass out grades, which of course is silly because these would only be paper grades at best, but in recognizing this I'd nonetheless give out:

Free agency:

Grade: C+
Have to give Poles credit, he's continuing to fill holes and while none of the signings today broke the internet, it definitely appears that the Bears are better now than they were yesterday. In terms of importance, I'd have to rank the D'Onta Foreman signing as tops, followed closely behind with the inking of Robert Tonyan.

New Grade: B-