• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First half

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know lots of people on this board are much better at breaking down film, but I rewatched the first half of the GB game and a couple of things stood out.

1. Except for the excellent touch pass to Gore for 45 yards or whatever, CK had some issues getting some touch and/or air under the ball when necessary. I'm thinking of the pass to Bruce Miller that Matthews batted down, and the pass to Moss that was way too hot to handle, my hope is that that is something he's continuing to work on -- because if he can master that he could be great.

2. He obviously had some beginning jitters-- despite what everyone says, the amazing thing was that he overcame them.

3. He was also inconsistent, overshooting some of the receivers, but also made some real laser like throws. I had read that in training camp his accuracy was a work in progress, I hope he's continuing to progress and work on it, because again, if he can improve his accuracy (as well as his touch) he could be great.

4. I also started watching his eyes because I was in some debate with a Seahawks fan about CKs ability to go through progressions -- it didn't appear to me that he was locking in on receivers, the one td pass to Crabtree in the 1st half he was looking to his right before throwing the ball in the middle to Crabtree.

Anyway, my two cents.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yep, he'll need to improve his "pocket passing" to move into the 'elite' category. he's doing more than fine now mind you, and not complaining. especially considering how long he's been starting.

but just looking ahead past this season, elite QB's become elite when they can complete all the passes. like most things in life, a lot of it will come with experience.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, he'll need to improve his "pocket passing" to move into the 'elite' category. he's doing more than fine now mind you, and not complaining. especially considering how long he's been starting.

but just looking ahead past this season, elite QB's become elite when they can complete all the passes. like most things in life, a lot of it will come with experience.

Deep, there isn't a single pass that Kap can't complete, I think he was just a little nervous - even Joe Montana got nervous and overthrew some passes in the playoffs.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deep, there isn't a single pass that Kap can't complete, I think he was just a little nervous - even Joe Montana got nervous and overthrew some passes in the playoffs.

he throws too hard. he might knock james over with a screen pass next game.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know lots of people on this board are much better at breaking down film, but I rewatched the first half of the GB game and a couple of things stood out.

1. Except for the excellent touch pass to Gore for 45 yards or whatever, CK had some issues getting some touch and/or air under the ball when necessary. I'm thinking of the pass to Bruce Miller that Matthews batted down, and the pass to Moss that was way too hot to handle, my hope is that that is something he's continuing to work on -- because if he can master that he could be great.

2. He obviously had some beginning jitters-- despite what everyone says, the amazing thing was that he overcame them.

3. He was also inconsistent, overshooting some of the receivers, but also made some real laser like throws. I had read that in training camp his accuracy was a work in progress, I hope he's continuing to progress and work on it, because again, if he can improve his accuracy (as well as his touch) he could be great.

4. I also started watching his eyes because I was in some debate with a Seahawks fan about CKs ability to go through progressions -- it didn't appear to me that he was locking in on receivers, the one td pass to Crabtree in the 1st half he was looking to his right before throwing the ball in the middle to Crabtree.

Anyway, my two cents.

I agree with what you stated above. He also could have put a little more air on a deep crossing route to Vernon and fit it in between coverage (this could have been early-mid 2nd half rather than the 1st half).

All the things mentioned above are fixable which is nice. He needs to work on his touch in certain situations, but everything else is there. Much better than working with a QB that simply doesn't have the arm strength or other critical elements of being an elite NFL QB. He's doing a lot of little things too like looking off the safety or looking one way and then quickly going another way. Extremely impressive for his limited NFL game experience.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with what you stated above. He also could have put a little more air on a deep crossing route to Vernon and fit it in between coverage (this could have been early-mid 2nd half rather than the 1st half).

All the things mentioned above are fixable which is nice. He needs to work on his touch in certain situations, but everything else is there. Much better than working with a QB that simply doesn't have the arm strength or other critical elements of being an elite NFL QB. He's doing a lot of little things too like looking off the safety or looking one way and then quickly going another way. Extremely impressive for his limited NFL game experience.

I agree, and I would rather shave my head with a cheese grater than compare him to any non-starting qbs on the roster and start another viral thread. I also trust Harbaugh and Geep Chryst to get rid of those issues. If his coaching wasn't as top notch I would worry a little more.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was overthrowing some guys and for sure needs to work on his touch. I was at the game and although he tried to get it to him a couple times, Davis was pretty open quite a few times and wasn't looked at. And so was Moss a few times. I think that is a bigger issue than his touch right now. Seeing the open receivers. His legs are covering a lot of that up, but eventually that will catch up with him. I am not concerned though. I think he is going to develop to be pretty good.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He was overthrowing some guys and for sure needs to work on his touch. I was at the game and although he tried to get it to him a couple times, Davis was pretty open quite a few times and wasn't looked at. And so was Moss a few times. I think that is a bigger issue than his touch right now. Seeing the open receivers. His legs are covering a lot of that up, but eventually that will catch up with him. I am not concerned though. I think he is going to develop to be pretty good.

that SHOULD improve with more 'live action'.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blasphemy. We're not friends anymore.

:llama:

Yeah, I spoke out of turn on that one - I thought there were two, but now I know there were none.

May I offer a :llama: for your forgiveness!

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that jumped out at me in the 1st half was that CK probably should have finished the game with 3 Rushing TDs and just 1 Passing TD. Remember that play where Goodwin snapped it early and CK was lucky to just contain it, pick it up and only get a sack?

I think I figured out why Goodwin got excited and snapped early. It looks to me like Roman called the perfect play that anticipated the Packers defense on a long yardage down( it was 2nd and 9), and when Goodwin saw it was just like they drew it up he snapped it too soon. It was a designed run that had Joe Staley pulling to the left and it would have put a body on every Packer and CK would have probably trotted into the endzone untouched or getting tackled as he crossed the endzone depending on how well of a job Walker would have done with the LB. They ran the same play just before the end of the half and picked up 9 yards and then kicked the FG on 4th and 1.

Goodwinfumble.png

Goodwinfumble2.png

Goodwinfumble3.png

It looks weird because the bad snap made Kaep get the ball way deeper than he normally would have, but use your imagination and see that the running lane would have been HUGE and poor little M.D. Jennings sure would have been surprised when Joe Staley popped out behind Boone with CK in tow.

Anyway, instead a play later CK hit Crabtree on that crossing pattern and he waltzed into the endzone.