• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite Reads

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My fucking laptop changed like 8 words in my review:L
it's impressive that you have been able to stay away from the show. I finished the first 4 books just before the first season came out, so it's been a while.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's impressive that you have been able to stay away from the show. I finished the first 4 books just before the first season came out, so it's been a while.
Yeah, and I'm going to do the same thing with Outlander

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and I'm going to do the same thing with Outlander
my girlfriend is a fan of that one. Read the books a while ago and is pissed the show is getting away from the books.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a girlie series. An excuse for soft core sex....
the show is at least somewhat watchable and has some badass battle scenes to go along with the bewbs

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only caught parts, I don't plan on playing catch up.

I know what the books look like because my wife reads them, but they could easily have a Fabio on the cover with some buxom wench and be found next to the checkout at the drugstore...

Reactions: ill

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finished Blood Meridian a while ago...a masterfully written and thought provoking book, to be sure. It did not pull me in emotionally like The Border Trilogy because there was not a single sympathetic character in BM to my mind...I can't say that's a flaw, just that I didn't feel as compelled to read on to see what happened to the people I felt invested in. McCarthy's use of the English language is truly incredible, I love to stop and savor his majestic run on sentences.
Am partway through Outer Dark, I had a hard time dealing with the first twenty or so pages (emotionally wrenching) but really want to see what is going to happen now. Not as well written as BM, but more engaging in some ways.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
picked up a copy of The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

weird that it was written in 1974 about the future (2007) which is now the past

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I also have not watched on minute of the tv show. I'm about to start, I just don't really have the free time to binge-watch. I'll have to wait till my kids are in bed, and they are staying up later because it's summer and there's Olympics on. So i'll probably catch one or two episodes a week.

I know the show is way different from the books, so no expectations.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
picked up a copy of The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

weird that it was written in 1974 about the future (2007) which is now the past

Recently let my kids watch the first two Back to the Future films. That was a total trip. Kids were like, "wait, 30 years ago they thought we'd have hoverboards but not cell phones?"

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also have not watched on minute of the tv show. I'm about to start, I just don't really have the free time to binge-watch. I'll have to wait till my kids are in bed, and they are staying up later because it's summer and there's Olympics on. So i'll probably catch one or two episodes a week.

I know the show is way different from the books, so no expectations.
I wouldn't say it is "way different". Season 1 is basically the same as the show, but they cut some of the fluff characters out. As the show went on, it diverged from the books more and more.

I used to read the episode recaps and comparisons over at Westeros.org. They gave good coverage on what I remembered from the books and how it happened in the show.

RavensNation2158

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good one... The writer is incredible - I love his way with words.

upload_2016-8-15_9-26-3.jpeg

RavensNation2158

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small picture is small...what's the elevator speech on this book?

Sorry... Let's give this a go:

images

"It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured."

So begins this epic, mesmerizing first novel by Gregory David Roberts, set in the underworld of contemporary Bombay. Shantaram is narrated by Lin, an escaped convict with a false passport who flees maximum security prison in Australia for the teeming streets of a city where he can disappear.

Accompanied by his guide and faithful friend, Prabaker, the two enter Bombay's hidden society of beggars and gangsters, prostitutes and holy men, soldiers and actors, and Indians and exiles from other countries, who seek in this remarkable place what they cannot find elsewhere.

As a hunted man without a home, family, or identity, Lin searches for love and meaning while running a clinic in one of the city's poorest slums, and serving his apprenticeship in the dark arts of the Bombay mafia. The search leads him to war, prison torture, murder, and a series of enigmatic and bloody betrayals. The keys to unlock the mysteries and intrigues that bind Lin are held by two people. The first is Khader Khan: mafia godfather, criminal-philosopher-saint, and mentor to Lin in the underworld of the Golden City. The second is Karla: elusive, dangerous, and beautiful, whose passions are driven by secrets that torment her and yet give her a terrible power.

Burning slums and five-star hotels, romantic love and prison agonies, criminal wars and Bollywood films, spiritual gurus and mujaheddin guerrillas---this huge novel has the world of human experience in its reach, and a passionate love for India at its heart. Based on the life of the author, it is by any measure the debut of an extraordinary voice in literature.

RavensNation2158

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I went from too small to too huge... Apparently I can't do moderation well. :noidea:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds good...have you read any other fiction based in India? One of my favorite works is the Raj Quartet, about the end of the British Colonial period in India

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Count of Monte Cristo is my favorite book. About to start the Game of Thrones series, wondering how it stacks up to the great TV series