• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Football News and Rumors

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's a case to be made for longevity of career, but I don't see anyone trying to claim Frank Gore was a better or more deserving of "top 5 RB" list than some guys that he's in front of.

View attachment 332241

Smith and Peterson having nearly identical yards/game for their careers is pretty wild, a shame Peterson whipped away one of his prime seasons, but those are the two I'd have battling it out for that 5th spot.

@TKOSpikes - Greatest Show doesn't exist without Faulk, they literally pulled a guy out of the grocery store bagging line to play QB in that system and won a playoff game with Marc Bulger as their QB.
That chart just shows why Emmitt doesn’t deserve to be top 5.

His avg yards pales in comparison to the others outside of Gore.

The only reason he and Gore are even on the list is because they played more seasons than the other guys.

Otherwise, they aren’t even sniffing the list with those averages.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That chart just shows why Emmitt doesn’t deserve to be top 5.

His avg yards pales in comparison to the others outside of Gore.

The only reason he and Gore are even on the list is because they played more seasons than the other guys.

Otherwie, they aren’t even sniffing the list with those averages.
But it's yards from scrimmage, in an era that didn't often throw to RB's, on a team that NEVER threw to RBs it's .like saying Y.A. Title isn't a great QB becuase Matt Stafford average more passing yards per season.
for Christ's sake, ya'll the same peeps belittling what he's done because of his Oline, yet failing to credit him for the era he played in, and further dogpiling becuase others had 100 targets a year.

Yards from scrimmage..gimme a break-
It's a largely irrelevant stat to an 'all time' discussion, and one that he's still on top of anyways.

The only clue needed? You have start manipulating the stats, dividing them, taking averages, cherry picking, in order to make his appearance less and others better. That proves nothing

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it's yards from scrimmage, in an era that didn't often throw to RB's, on a team that NEVER threw to RBs it's .like saying Y.A. Title isn't a great QB becuase Matt Stafford average more passing yards per season.
for Christ's sake, ya'll the same peeps belittling what he's done because of his Oline, yet failing to credit him for the era he played in, and further dogpiling becuase others had 100 targets a year.

Yards from scrimmage..gimme a break-
It's a largely irrelevant stat to an 'all time' discussion, and one that he's still on top of anyways.

The only clue needed? You have start manipulating the stats, dividing them, taking averages, cherry picking, in order to make his appearance less and others better. That proves nothing
Sanders played in the same freaking era and had almost 500 more average than Smith.

And Sanders was playing on crappy Lions teams with crappy QB’s.

The defense literally showed up every game to stop him, and they still couldn’t do it.

Smith played on stacked Dallas teams where the defense had to account for Irvin, Aikman, Novacek and others in addition to him.

If Sanders didn’t retire early and played as long as Smith did, he’s holding all the records.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanders played in the same freaking era and had almost 500 more average than Smith.

And Sanders was playing on crappy Lions teams with crappy QB’s.

The defense literally showed up every game to stop him, and they still couldn’t do it.

Smith played on stacked Dallas teams where the defense had to account for Irvin, Aikman, Novacek and others in addition to him.

If Sanders didn’t retire early and played as long as Smith did, he’s holding all the records.
Anyone see or hear me say Emmitt is better than Barry??

what if this, what if that, But the oline, but Troy Aikmen, here we even pull out what about Jay Novacek of all people
..maybe if Emmitt played on the greatest show on turf? Maybe he'd have been great, maybe it wouldn't have worked at all.
If's and buts and what abouts...all anyone has. And its always to tear down, never to speculate, hey, could he have done what they did, where they were, and when they did it? And you just can't say, becuase that's not the way the cookie crumbled

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emmitt is so far down the list on per-game yardage (either rushing or from scrimmage) that his career position there looks like Hank Aaron - mostly the result of playing a long time. It's his rushing TDs that stand out.

I'm not as high as many on Sanders, although he has the best highlights. I felt like more than half the time he got a trivial gain or took a loss and one time out of five he got a spectacular gain. I have the impression the Lions had a lot of three-and-outs because they just fed Sanders and he often didn't pop one, but it's been a long time.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emmitt is so far down the list on per-game yardage (either rushing or from scrimmage) that his career position there looks like Hank Aaron - mostly the result of playing a long time. It's his rushing TDs that stand out.

I'm not as high as many on Sanders, although he has the best highlights. I felt like more than half the time he got a trivial gain or took a loss and one time out of five he got a spectacular gain. I have the impression the Lions had a lot of three-and-outs because they just fed Sanders and he often didn't pop one, but it's been a long time.
All true, but there again..it's a contradictory stat...yes it shows he compiled, and it's a longevity accomplishment..but...let's add some context. Seeing as how everyone adds subtracts, divides, projects, or otherwise 'what ifs' in the negative, surely I can do the same in the positive, yes? Doesn't it stand to reason, that as you age, and efficiency starts to tail off, your averages will fall?

13 years in Dallas, 85.4 a game, good for what would be 8th all time (Payton with 88 a game is 6th) , but those 2 years in ARZ in his mid 30's, dropped him to 17th (currently).he was all ready the all time leading rusher with that 85.4 per game when he left Dallas. And even further context, that was before TD, Jonathan Taylor, and Portis who are all in the top 7 today, meaning, that at the time, he was 5th all time in yards per game.

Going even further, everyone always likes to speculate- well if Barry hadn't retired early..such and such and such and such, right? is Barry averaging 99 yards a game at age 31-35, or is his average going to fall as well?? Ever think that's part of the reason why he did? He knew he couldn't be what he was for much longer. Sure he probably catches and passes Emmitt, but his per game averages are taking a significant hit too, its just the laws of nature.

And on the topic of Barry..another popular thing peeps point to..'well if Barry had Emmits oline, and Aikmen and Irvin he wouldve done such and such'
Well if Barry is taking every 3rd or fifth handcuff for a 5 yard or more loss, Jimmy Johnson isn't giving him the ball 25+ a game either, nor would he have had to, becuase he had Aikmen and Irvin. He likely wouldn't even have been on the team long, given the way Jimmy Johnson ran the show

We can do the what ifs and what abouts, both ways, all day long.

In the end, we have the NFL all time leading rusher, that's all that's known

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the end, we have the NFL all time leading rusher, that's all that's known

Something we also know - Smith's peak seasons weren't as good as Faulks or LTs.

Just cause someone did it a few more years than someone else doesn't mean they were better at it

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something we also know - Smith's peak seasons weren't as good as Faulks or LTs.

Just cause someone did it a few more years than someone else doesn't mean they were better at it
Nope, doesn't mean they were worse either. Also need to consider the rule changes heavily favoring the offense from the 90's to the more recent history and the scoring explosion too though. There was simply more yards and more TD's to be had. I don't think Faulk or LT do what they did if a Mike Singletary is sitting there and allowed to rip their heads off either

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, doesn't mean they were worse either. Also need to consider the rule changes heavily favoring the offense from the 90's to the more recent history and the scoring explosion too though. There was simply more yards and more TD's to be had. I don't think Faulk or LT do what they did if a Mike Singletary is sitting there and allowed to rip their heads off either

You're getting old

Smith and Faulk played most of their careers in the league at the same time as each other

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this.
I tend to lean toward the guys that made their own yards, as opposed to the RB that were on stacked teams.
Maybe why a guy like Franco Harris isnt in the discussion.
With this in mind, not convinced i'd put Faulk in the top 5. Adrian Peterson is over Faulk to me. OJ may be a punchline today, but man was he good.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're getting old

Smith and Faulk played most of their careers in the league at the same time as each other
More or less, yes. Theres a four year difference. A four year difference that has the greatest show on turf, which changed the entire league's offensive gameplans, during Faulks prime, and Emmit's career beginning to hit the brakes at the same time.

And yes i am getting old :)

While Faulk's first few years were fairly impressive, he didn't start putting up the kind of stuff that puts him in this conversation until 1999/2000 after the trade the Rams. And we could 'what if' him to death too..what if he wasn't traded and spent his career in Indy? What if Trent Green never got injured? What if he didn't have Orlando Pace, and Adam Timmerman and Tom Nutten to run behind, or to get out in front on all those screen passes, for all those years?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peterson got Favres best year and fumbled it away. He is up there but definitely not top 5 imo

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peterson got Favres best year and fumbled it away. He is up there but definitely not top 5 imo
That's pretty questionable. All of 95-98 could easily be viewed as better than '09. None of Farve's career bests came in that year, except the least amount of INT's

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty questionable. All of 95-98 could easily be viewed as better than '09. None of Farve's career bests came in that year, except the least amount of INT's
One of his best years. Ints, YPA and QB rating all best. That team could've easily won a super bowl

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he had one of his best stat years after the NFL had changed the rules to make QBs stats better?

Color me surprised.

Hey ease up on Favre, it's not like he's out there sending dick pics to reporters or swindling tax payers out of their money to fund his kid's sports careers or anything

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this.
I tend to lean toward the guys that made their own yards, as opposed to the RB that were on stacked teams.
Maybe why a guy like Franco Harris isnt in the discussion.
With this in mind, not convinced i'd put Faulk in the top 5. Adrian Peterson is over Faulk to me. OJ may be a punchline today, but man was he gdynasty!

OJ def deserves to be in the discussion, monster seasons with shorter schedule

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@averagejoe , @ANGELAKERAMS , @SmokingMonkey , @Clayton - and anyone/everyone else

I hope you all understand that during that entire conversation, I'm picturing a bunch of guys, sitting at a poker table or the bar, just bullshitting/debating the nuances, all in good fun..as is always my intentions and hopes when getting into these discussions. I appreciate you all for engaging :)