• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Football News and Rumors

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want to include/exclude players from an all time greats list, based on a listing of individual seasons of yards from scrimmage??
The mere existence of Joe schmoes like McAllister, Wilder, etc..on that list is evidence that it means little to nothing in an 'all time' context

Yards from scrimmage, career..
#1 Jerry Rice
#2 Emmitt

End of discussion

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t watch Payton growing up. I didn’t fall in love with football until 1988.

So Brown is out too.

If I agree about the Great Wall of Dallas, then I’d have to exclude the Greatest Show on Turf.

The fact these four need a disclaimer with exclusion, probably demands their place in the top five.

But I’ll play devil’s advocate…
Barry Sanders
LaDainian Tomlinson
Adrian Peterson
Marcus Allen
Curtis Martin

But Thurman Thomas is the best. ;)
(Only one to reach four consecutive Super Bowls)
Thurman does get overlooked far too often in 'all time greats' discussions. I dunno where he belongs, but he's worth mentioning more often than he gets.

Btw, another footnote on his resume- only one to lose 4 consecutive SB's...I had to :)

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want to include/exclude players from an all time greats list, based on a listing of individual seasons of yards from scrimmage??
The mere existence of Joe schmoes like McAllister, Wilder, etc..on that list is evidence that it means little to nothing in an 'all time' context

#1 Jerry Rice
#2 Emmitt

End of discussion

there's a case to be made for longevity of career, but I don't see anyone trying to claim Frank Gore was a better or more deserving of "top 5 RB" list than some guys that he's in front of.

1687525358903.png

Smith and Peterson having nearly identical yards/game for their careers is pretty wild, a shame Peterson whipped away one of his prime seasons, but those are the two I'd have battling it out for that 5th spot.

@TKOSpikes - Greatest Show doesn't exist without Faulk, they literally pulled a guy out of the grocery store bagging line to play QB in that system and won a playoff game with Marc Bulger as their QB.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's a case to be made for longevity of career, but I don't see anyone trying to claim Frank Gore was a better or more deserving of "top 5 RB" list than some guys that he's in front of.

View attachment 332241

Smith and Peterson having nearly identical yards/game for their careers is pretty wild, a shame Peterson whipped away one of his prime seasons, but those are the two I'd have battling it out for that 5th spot.

@TKOSpikes - Greatest Show doesn't exist without Faulk, they literally pulled a guy out of the grocery store bagging line to play QB in that system and won a playoff game with Marc Bulger as their QB.

I agree.
Manning also attributes his success to Faulk’s leadership on the field.
And Marshall invented fantasy football.

Hard to beat 28

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 Jerry Rice
#2 Emmitt
We all have our favorites.
But category leaders are not necessarily the litmus.
If Aaron Rodgers throws for 4000 passing yards this year, he moves up to like 6th all-time. Would you put Rodgers as the 6th-best QB ever? Other than Packers fans, bet most would not have Rodgers their top 10.
Same with other positions.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Aaron Rodgers throws for 4000 passing yards this year, he moves up to like 6th all-time. Would you put Rodgers as the 6th-best QB ever? Other than Packers fans, bet most would not have Rodgers their top 10.

aaron rodgers news GIF

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#1 Jerry Rice
#2 Emmitt

End of discussion
What a shame that Emmitt never peaked.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No fer sure..especially not fringe stats, or analytics. No one thing means much of anything on its own

But all time rushing leader...I'm sorry, that just can't be discounted. That is a litmus test of the best ever. A litmus test, not THE litmus test, one of them though, one that is not biased, it us not skewed, its cold, hard, undeniable, reality...and he's WAY on top.

Yellow Fuzzies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No fer sure..especially not fringe stats, or analytics. No one thing means much of anything on its own

But all time rushing leader...I'm sorry, that just can't be discounted. That is a litmus test of the best ever. A litmus test, not THE litmus test, one of them though, one that is not biased, it us not skewed, its cold, hard, undeniable, reality...and he's WAY on top.
The point is that had Emmett ran behind a different offensive line I doubt that he would be the all time rushing leader. He is still good but may not make my top 5 all time.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been reading all of these and for me Barry will always be #1 as a fan. There was never a more entertaining player and gave you a feeling of doing something special every time he touched the ball than he did and as a fan is there really anything else we could ask for? I just wish I had been old enough in the mid 90's to get Sunday Ticket so I didn't have to wait for Thanksgiving every year since we never got Lions games here in Florida. After that though I would go Jim Brown #2, Emmitt #3, Walter Payton #4, and Faulk and Tomlinson tied for #5.

As a shoutout to one of Joe's guys and a guy from the U, the only other player I ever felt that way about was when a kick had a chance to be returned by Devin Hester. After the initial thought of, "Wait did they really just kick it to Hester?" wore off, the excitement of what he could do with it came through.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After that though I would go Jim Brown #2, Emmitt #3, Walter Payton #4, and Faulk and Tomlinson tied for #5.
I am seeing a trend with the guys that picked emmitt also being unable to actually pick 5 guys. Just take out emmitt and then you won't have too many.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me- Barry, Emmitt, Jim Brown, Sweetness, and a 5 way tie between Tomlinson, Faulk, Peterson, Sayers, and Campbell. Gun to my head, I'm taking Faulk as the 5th guy as he was L.T. before L.T., and innovated the way the position is played today. Thorpe is an honorable mention imho, as a lot of what he did great, wasn't as a RB. He's much more a factor in the greatest athlete of all time discussion, than the greatest RB.
That's my top 5 although my order would be: Jim Brown, Barry, Sweetness, Emmitt, and Faulk.