• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Football News and Rumors

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who leaves Emmit completely off an all time top 5 list..loses a little sway with me. You don't have to put him 1, or even 4, but not in the top 5? Shame
Jim Brown not being in a Top 5 is crazy to me.

Dickerson also ahead of Emmit, for me.

Top 3 being Sweetness, Barry and Brown in whatever order anyone prefers. But the list starts after them for me.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who you leave off, though?

Problem is there's like eight guys with a claim to top-five. People talk about Jim Brown, but I always think of Jim Thorpe... and we don't even have stats for him.
Wouldn’t be hard for me to put Smith ahead of Peterson.

But I genuinely dislike Adrian Peterson.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well sure, I mean, there's no right or wrong answer..but if the context is greatest RB, ALL TIME, and the dude who is at the top of virtually every meaningful RB stat- all time, #1 yards, #1 TD's, #2 to Rice for yards from scrimmage, #2 to Rice in all TD's scored...there's no subjectivity there, excluding him invalidates the entire list. And Rice is arguably the greatest football player, regardless of position, of all time.

Of course there's 8,-10 dudes who are arguably in that top 5. Who would I exclude? Dunno, but that's why you start with the inarguable stuff..that's what is in first, and whomever else gets left off after, when it starts to become subjective, I guess that's the dude who gets left off, is what it is.
Now favorite of all time?? Sure leave him off. Best though? He's either in it, or your list is questionable.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Rice is arguably the greatest football player, regardless of position, of all time.
I would not agree.
Makes for a great debate tho.

For me, what a player does without the supporting cast is more impressive to me.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My final thought...the tired old trope of his O-line?
From 98 to end of his Cowboys career, the line was in shambles, Allen old hurt, gone, Newton hurt, gone, Erik Williams, hurt, gone...and he still averaged 1200 yards a year and near double digit scores. Not to mention just shy of a 1000/10 in 15 games, as a 35 year old on a SHITTY Cardinals team...come on now, give the guy his due. Yes, for his GLORY years, an all time great line, but he amassed plenty on his own. The oline stuff is a little more than a cop out excuse for Cowboy haters

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not agree.
Makes for a great debate tho.

For me, what a player does without the supporting cast is more impressive to me.
Couldn't argue with that...however, what exactly happens, anywhere on the feild, on either side of the ball, where the supporting cast doesn't have a hand in it in some way? I can't argue with the overall premise, I'm just curious as to how one would separate it out, without bias?

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me- Barry, Emmitt, Jim Brown, Sweetness, and a 5 way tie between Tomlinson, Faulk, Peterson, Sayers, and Campbell. Gun to my head, I'm taking Faulk as the 5th guy as he was L.T. before L.T., and innovated the way the position is played today. Thorpe is an honorable mention imho, as a lot of what he did great, wasn't as a RB. He's much more a factor in the greatest athlete of all time discussion, than the greatest RB.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a friggin beast, fer sure

I was at his first game, against the Emmitt Smith-led Cardinals team. SJax blows through the line for his first carry only to have it punched out at the end of a 15-20yd run for a lost fumble.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payton… cmon, so yeah, I’m biased. But man he was a physical freak for his era, and we really need to acknowledge his versatility was ahead of his time. He was literally all the Bears had for close to a decade and did everything. And the durability was something unrivaled.

I feel as though some of the more modern backs had schemes tailored to them. The scheme for Payton was basically, just give him the ball… and there was no one to take the focus off him. No Aikman and Irvin. No Warner, Holt, or Bruce. Hell, he didn’t even have a single Herman Moore or an Antonio Gates!

It was literally just him!

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payton… cmon, so yeah, I’m biased. But man he was a physical freak for his era, and we really need to acknowledge his versatility was ahead of his time. He was literally all the Bears had for close to a decade and did everything. And the durability was something unrivaled.

I feel as though some of the more modern backs had schemes tailored to them. The scheme for Payton was basically, just give him the ball… and there was no one to take the focus off him. No Aikman and Irvin. No Warner, Holt, or Bruce. Hell, he didn’t even have a single Herman Moore or an Antonio Gates!

he had a pathetic 32% completion rate on his passes and threw 6 INTs though

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he had a pathetic 32% completion rate on his passes and threw 6 INTs though
Golden Richards and Brian Baschnagel couldn’t get open for him! . But yeah, probably should have just tucked it and ran.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eddie Payton wasn't that good. I don't understand all the love for him.

Jim Brown
Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Enmity Smith
Eric Dickerson hate him with a passion, but have to give him his due.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I personally have no arguments with anyone wanting Sweetness for that #1 spot...certainly a worthy candidate.

I'll just always have Emmit #2, his numbers just demand that he's no lower than that. #1, be it Peyton or Barry, Emmitt is #2, and whichever of the other two isn't #1, is #3 either way is perfectly agreeable to me. ...quirky, but I have my reasons :)

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eddie Payton wasn't that good. I don't understand all the love for him.

Jim Brown
Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Enmity Smith
Eric Dickerson hate him with a passion, but have to give him his due.
LOL! Totally forgot about Eddie! (He played for the Lions IIRC?)

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me- Barry, Emmitt, Jim Brown, Sweetness, and a 5 way tie between Tomlinson, Faulk, Peterson, Sayers, and Campbell. Gun to my head, I'm taking Faulk as the 5th guy as he was L.T. before L.T., and innovated the way the position is played today. Thorpe is an honorable mention imho, as a lot of what he did great, wasn't as a RB. He's much more a factor in the greatest athlete of all time discussion, than the greatest RB.
No emmitt

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t watch Payton growing up. I didn’t fall in love with football until 1988.

So Brown is out too.

If I agree about the Great Wall of Dallas, then I’d have to exclude the Greatest Show on Turf.

The fact these four need a disclaimer with exclusion, probably demands their place in the top five.

But I’ll play devil’s advocate…
Barry Sanders
LaDainian Tomlinson
Adrian Peterson
Marcus Allen
Curtis Martin

But Thurman Thomas is the best. ;)
(Only one to reach four consecutive Super Bowls)

Last edited: