• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Football News and Rumors

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find that grading the top rookie WRs is harder than grading rookie RBs, for me at least. So I tend to listen to breakdowns more when it comes to WRs. I still have my own take but a lot of time I miss on them. This was a breakdown by Steve Smith Sr. that I felt was pretty good.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out the recent history of late round/ undrafted RB's who were the steals, or 'diamonds in the rough'-

Day 3 running backs (Rounds 4-7) drafted from 2011-2021, have had 21/179 (11.7%) with a single 1k+ scrimmage yard season in their career.

Day 3 Running Backs (Drafted 2011-2021):​

• Alfred Morris
• Devonta Freeman
• Jordan Howard
• Aaron Jones
• Chris Carson
• Jay Ajayi
• Lamar Miller
• Spencer Ware
• Latavius Murray
• James White
• Marlon Mack
• Tarik Cohen
• Alex Collins
• Zac Stacy
• Dion Lewis
• Bilal Powell
• Elijah Mitchell
• Tony Pollard
• Andre Ellington
• Roy Helu
• Mike Davis
UDFA Running Backs (2011-2021):
• Austin Ekeler
• James Robinson
• Phillip Lindsay
• Isaiah Crowell
• CJ Anderson
• Matt Breida
• Darrel Williams

With a handful of exceptions, most are super nova types, 1, 2, MAYBE 3 decent to great seasons, and then toast. And even some of the exceptions, while they've hung around for more years, haven't exactly been fantasy gold for more than a couple seasons. That's not what I'm hoping for out of my first round pick in a dynasty regardless of opportunity. It's like all that effort spent proving yourselves, just burns those dudes out.
IMHO- Out of all those names, the only guys who would've, even in retrospect, been worthy of a top 5 rookie draft pick, we're Ekeler, Carson, and maybe A. Jones..jury is still out on Pollard.
And that's not even considering that every name on those lists were already the exceptions to the rule of their classes, the 20 dozen other late round/UDFA RB's throughout that 10 year time frame never amounted to anything to begin with.
I know I'm digressing, but damn, what a shame about Chris Carson. Dude was an excellent RB.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm digressing, but damn, what a shame about Chris Carson. Dude was an excellent RB.
Dude was a stud for 2 1/2 seasons. Then poof...

In my mind he had a longer run that that...maybe he wasn't worth a top 5 pick either now that I check his numbers...he's a poster child for exactly the point I was making

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In my mind he had a longer run that that...maybe he wasn't worth a top 5 pick either now that I check his numbers...he's a poster child for exactly the point I was making
Well, it didn’t help that Seattle was constantly trying to replace him either.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've read that the average life of an RB these days is exactly that, 2 1/2 years. Not sure I totally agree with that in all cases, but yeah, it seems to be coming to that point.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read that the average life of an RB these days is exactly that, 2 1/2 years. Not sure I totally agree with that in all cases, but yeah, it seems to be coming to that point.
That's been the about average shelf life of virtually all non QB/K NFL players for quite some time. 3-4 years. It doesn't surprise me that RB's are slightly less. But you do have to consider that that average not only accounts for the 22 starters any given Sunday, but every team'n6s entire roster over the years and years...every one and done draft bust, every dude who played in exactly one game..averaged out against all the guys who have 8, 10, 15 year careers, so the data is somewhat skewed.

But, back to the point..that's the "average" RB...when using your first round pick, do you want to hope for "average"? Obviously there's no sure thing, and I'd love to see a comparative analysis of it, but I'd have to assume, the RB'S draft days 1 &2, most likely, have a longer 'average' career than those drafted on day 3, so odds are against you getting full value if you reach for the longshot, who, recent history suggests, will have a very short, average, career.

Those RB's who are still starters at 27-30+? Those are the guys you need to identify and go after. More often than not, they're day 1 or 2 picks.

Btw..I ain't arguing, just adding commentary

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ANGELAKERAMS
@TREFF

Kind of shocked no one is toying with the idea of McBride in Minny? Vikes just released Cook.... is Mattison next up? Some believe he is. But should the backup RB (Mattison) average less ypc than Cook?

I dropped Chandler in two of three leagues… it will be Chandler.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports "injuries were the issue" for James Robinson, who was released by the Patriots on Monday.​

Robison "couldn't stay on the field" during offseason practices and the Pats cut bait with him after signing him to a two-year deal in March. Robinson, 24, has been unable to maintain a spot on an NFL roster since tearing his Achilles at the end of the 2021 season. In four games with the Jets last season, he averaged a meager 2.9 yards per carry. Robinson should be able to catch on with another team as a backfield depth signing who has no real path to touches. Like many running backs recovering from an Achilles injury, it could take Robinson several years to get all the way back to form.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess when a RB's opportunity grows from 2% to 7% of the Vikes offense, I just don't get as excited as you.

I'll take the hit rate of a 1st round WR over a 7th round RB in every single dynasty draft forever, regardless how much opportunity they have behind 2 players with higher draft pedigree + familiarity in the system and a 3rd RB that plays a bunch of special teams - gonna be an uphill battle for McBride to make the final 53.
How many 7th round runningbacks have the incumbent starter get cut after the draft?

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many 7th round runningbacks have the incumbent starter get cut after the draft?

Bobs Burgers Straws GIF