• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Football News and Rumors

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus a few years of Champ. Had they not traded him, it would have been a landslide.
For some reason he didn't show up as part of the trade when I googled it. But even at the time I remember thinking the Saints were being dumb

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason he didn't show up as part of the trade when I googled it. But even at the time I remember thinking the Saints were being dumb
It may not have shown up because Washington used the Saints picks as trade bait with Chicago. Per Wiki:

The trade​

With limited leverage, Saints' general manager Bill Kuharich began discussing trades with the teams holding the first five selections. The Saints offered nine draft picks to the Cincinnati Bengals for the third overall choice, but the Bengals declined the deal.

The Saints traded their first round, third round, fourth round, fifth round, sixth round, and seventh round picks in the 1999 NFL Draft, and their first-round and third-round picks from the 2000 NFL Draft to the Washington Redskins for the fifth overall pick of the 1999 NFL Draft.

The Redskins traded the 12th overall pick, the third-round draft pick acquired from the Saints, and their fourth- and fifth-round picks to the Chicago Bears to acquire the seventh overall pick. The Redskins used the pick to select Champ Bailey, the player they had coveted. They also made a second trade with the Bears, acquiring a second-round pick that allowed them to select Jon Jansen, in exchange for a second round pick and the fifth round pick acquired from the Saints.

Traded to New Orleans

Traded to Washington

• 1999 first round pick (12th overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select Cade McNown)
  • 1999 third round pick (71st overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select D'Wayne Bates)
  • 1999 fourth round pick (107th overall, used to select Nate Stimson)
  • 1999 fifth round pick (144th overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select Khari Samuel)
  • 1999 sixth round pick (179th overall, later traded to Denver, used to select Desmond Clark)
  • 1999 seventh round pick (218th overall, later traded to Denver, used to select Billy Miller)
  • 2000 first round pick (2nd overall, used to select LaVar Arrington)
  • 2000 third round pick (64th overall, used to select Lloyd Harrison)

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey trade was fairly even for a few seasons, then Champ played another 6-8 at an extremely high level

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 438.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They used a couple picks from that deal to move up for Champ.

Edit - Ninjaed...

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I dunno...there so many ?'s there.

First and foremost, Penny threw 2 and half years of sub par performances, with rare flashes of pretty decent, on film before his crazy 5 game finish. And even one of those 5 wasn't exactly a shining example of a 'good' performance (fantasy points sure, but yards/ efficiency, not so much). And of those 5 games, only the 'bad' one was against a team in the top 70% of rushing yards allowed: HOUS (31st), LAR (6th), Chicago (26th), Detriot (28th), and ARZ (23rd). So I don't exactly have a ton of faith that Penny has a stranglehold on anything other than the opening week start.
Secondly, all early reports out of camp seemed to rave about Walkers pass catching chops that he put on display.
And then there's the simple reality that Homer and Dallas just aren't all that good to begin with.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see a straight up split in touches out of the gates. I seriously doubt Walker, a rookie, gets his hands on third down work no matter how great his hands are in practice, the real factor will be - can he pass block, and not many rookies have that as a plus attribute right away. But I'm sure he could get there at some point. Might take into next year..but.....If the willingness is there, adequate pass pro can be taught. Honestly Penny should be the preferred option on 3rd downs, he's a perfectly fine asset in the passing game, and as a 5th year vet, he has zero excuses to not be adequate in pass pro.

It's a tough call. Personally, in a redraft, I wouldn't take Penny any higher than my 3rd RB, and I'd probably have no more than one round in between the two as far as where I'd draft them.
In a dynasty, I would let Penny be someone else's issue, and I'd be all over the rook.

Carson is just done, for his sake, I hope he hangs em up.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I dunno...there so many ?'s there.

First and foremost, Penny threw 2 and half years of sub par performances, with rare flashes of pretty decent, on film before his crazy 5 game finish. And even one of those 5 wasn't exactly a shining example of a 'good' performance (fantasy points sure, but yards/ efficiency, not so much). And of those 5 games, only the 'bad' one was against a team in the top 70% of rushing yards allowed: HOUS (31st), LAR (6th), Chicago (26th), Detriot (28th), and ARZ (23rd). So I don't exactly have a ton of faith that Penny has a stranglehold on anything other than the opening week start.
Secondly, all early reports out of camp seemed to rave about Walkers pass catching chops that he put on display.
And then there's the simple reality that Homer and Dallas just aren't all that good to begin with.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see a straight up split in touches out of the gates. I seriously doubt Walker, a rookie, gets his hands on third down work no matter how great his hands are in practice, the real factor will be - can he pass block, and not many rookies have that as a plus attribute right away. But I'm sure he could get there at some point. Might take into next year..but.....If the willingness is there, adequate pass pro can be taught. Honestly Penny should be the preferred option on 3rd downs, he's a perfectly fine asset in the passing game, and as a 5th year vet, he has zero excuses to not be adequate in pass pro.

It's a tough call. Personally, in a redraft, I wouldn't take Penny any higher than my 3rd RB, and I'd probably have no more than one round in between the two as far as where I'd draft them.
In a dynasty, I would let Penny be someone else's issue, and I'd be all over the rook.

Carson is just done, for his sake, I hope he hangs em up.
Penny will be the starter IMO and will be until the inevitable injury occurs, then Walker will have his opportunity. Yes Carson is done and Homer and Dallas are only going to be used to catch the ball. If Walker shows well he’ll be the starter in 2023 ( I guess there is a small chance Penny gets resigned if he’s willing to sign for peanuts).

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penny will be the starter IMO and will be until the inevitable injury occurs, then Walker will have his opportunity. Yes Carson is done and Homer and Dallas are only going to be used to catch the ball. If Walker shows well he’ll be the starter in 2023 ( I guess there is a small chance Penny gets resigned if he’s willing to sign for peanuts).
Well he SHOULD be, but he's still got plenty to prove to me before I can see him holding the job long

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you're taking Penny before the top 25-27 or so RBs are off the board, current ADP has that has a pretty significant reach.

1657987814180.png

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll double Penny with my :2cents::

In a run-friendly offense with Russel Wilson, he failed to impress. Now he is essentially handed the job with Carson nursing his neck recovery (which i doubt he never returns). Given this environment, i think the blurb that Harold posted was very pro-Penny.

I feel Penny will fail in a non-Russel Wilson offense because he has already shown to be unreliable despite plenty of opportunities.

The fact it mentions Walker in 2023 is an overly safe statement. If Walker cant wrestle the job from Penny now, then maybe that's a red flag for Walker and his future?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll double Penny with my :2cents::

In a run-friendly offense with Russel Wilson, he failed to impress. Now he is essentially handed the job with Carson nursing his neck recovery (which i doubt he never returns). Given this environment, i think the blurb that Harold posted was very pro-Penny.

I feel Penny will fail in a non-Russel Wilson offense because he has already shown to be unreliable despite plenty of opportunities.

The fact it mentions Walker in 2023 is an overly safe statement. If Walker cant wrestle the job from Penny now, then maybe that's a red flag for Walker and his future?
I'd say when healthy Penny has been impressive, he just hasn't been healthy much.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not the first time Fournette has had weight issues going into an offseason. Lenny himself claims he's at 240 right now, and that's the same weight he was at the combine in 2017, fell all the way down to 223 in '18, and ballooned back up to 247 during that offseason and got back down to 228 during camp in '19. At some point age will reduce his ability to get back down, but it's definitely something that he does most every year.
And depending on who you beleive, the 260 seems like it may be an exageration?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not the first time Fournette has had weight issues going into an offseason. Lenny himself claims he's at 240 right now, and that's the same weight he was at the combine in 2017, fell all the way down to 223 in '18, and ballooned back up to 247 during that offseason and got back down to 228 during camp in '19. At some point age will reduce his ability to get back down, but it's definitely something that he does most every year.
And depending on who you beleive, the 260 seems like it may be an exageration?
In any case RBs that swell up in the off season are scary to own IMO.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In any case RBs that swell up in the off season are scary to own IMO.

scary, sure.... But i dont think his ADP or draft value will change much... he has not been seen as a RB 1, and any RB who is their teams #1 has decent upside... especially when your team is a good team...

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 438.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I listen to Baltimore sports talk radio a lot and all the guys (and gals) are worried about his availability. Sources have been pretty tight lipped about his recovery, so this would be news if true. Although, in the same sentence he says that he is "damn sure" going to be ready for week 1, he also says that he "might" not go on the PUP list.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I listen to Baltimore sports talk radio a lot and all the guys (and gals) are worried about his availability. Sources have been pretty tight lipped about his recovery, so this would be news if true. Although, in the same sentence he says that he is "damn sure" going to be ready for week 1, he also says that he "might" not go on the PUP list.
well he could go on the PUP for all of camp and preseason, be activated from it prior to the 53 man cut day and still play week 1

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 438.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well he could go on the PUP for all of camp and preseason, be activated from it prior to the 53 man cut day and still play week 1
I didn't realize there was a separate PUP for the preseason.