• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Football News and Rumors

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I'm not expecting anyone better than Terry Mclaurin in the whole draft.

agree completely here, back end WR1 production is the ceiling for this class, WR18-26 is prob more realistic ceiling for the top 6-7 WRs in this class

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean he was more productive than Marshall but we are also comparing a 5 star almost perfect grade recruit to a 3 star recruit. The only reason Ohio St knew about this kid is bc they were recruiting a 5 star QB and they asked the coaches, "who is the guy WR running the routes?". They offered Olave a scholarship.

I get why you are hesitatant on Olave but it less about the production in college and more about the opportunity and system in New Orleans. Like others have said, before the Landry pickup I liked him more...now I would also be hesitant for an immediate impact. So to see him slip in rookie drafts was not surprising to me. I would have taken a handful of rookie WR's over him bc of opportunity alone.
what is the system in NO though? Sean Peyton gone..Jameis Winston now the full time QB..what exactly is the system? to hell if I know. I do know that if I were that coach and Jameis Winston was my QB..I'd have drafted Drake London, and then turned and handed the ball to Kamara/Ingram 30+ times a game, throwing 5 or so "Winston specials" to (hopefully) London 50 yards downfield, because he's the tallest, biggest catch radius that might be able to find a Winston pass.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Atlanta, taking a page out of the Dolphins playbook..accumulating scrub RB's. Jeremy McNichols signs in ATL, and apparently, an underused CB is being converted into a RB. You get that? a good 5-6 RB's available in the draft that could've been at worst, semi reliable early down bangers, and they get Algeier way late and convert a DB. SMDH

CPat
Algeier
D. Williams
McNIchols
and a DB

(oh and a rookie WR as the #1 and a Raiders castoff at WR)

best of luck Marriota

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports free agent QB Colin Kaepernick's workout with the Raiders "was largely considered a positive."​

In his quest to return to the NFL, Kaepernick reportedly turned in a solid outing with the Raiders on Thursday. Fowler noted that his arm strength and conditioning were both "good overall" as we now wait to get word on a potential signing. The 34-year-old quarterback last played in the league in 2016, but could push for the backup role behind Derek Carr. The Raiders made a trade for former Patriot Jarrett Stidham two weeks ago, and also have journeyman Nick Mullens on the roster.

Hey, IF the guy can play, great, whatever, welcome aboard, especially if you're good enough to displace Derrick f'n Carr.

Much like any other entertainer on my radar, if he can entertain me, I get bang for my buck, I don't care about their politics, criminal history (within limits), or especially the color of their skin. the only reason I care about them at all, is what they bring to the table in my break from reality every Sunday/concert/movie night/whatever, everything else is irrelevant, and when they aren't on the stage in front of me or on my TV screen, they are not a factor in my mind ( Fantasy football studying aside..of course). Just keep that other stuff away from my entertainment dollar..it was hard earned, and spent in good faith that I was buying a break from that crap.

But lets be clear, this dude sucked 6 years ago and hasn't played since, I have a very hard time buying that IF being answered in the affirmative. And if he isn't good enough to be a starting QB, I can't see the circus that follows him being worth it for a backup job.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much like any other entertainer on my radar, if he can entertain me, I get bang for my buck, I don't care about their politics, criminal history (within limits), or especially the color of their skin. the only reason I care about them at all, is what they bring to the table in my break from reality every Sunday/concert/movie night/whatever, everything else is irrelevant, and when they aren't on the stage in front of me or on my TV screen, they are not a factor in my mind ( Fantasy football studying aside..of course). Just keep that other stuff away from my entertainment dollar..it was hard earned, and spent in good faith that I was buying a break from that crap.

New York Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

But lets be clear, this dude sucked 6 years ago and hasn't played since, I have a very hard time buying that IF being answered in the affirmative. And if he isn't good enough to be a starting QB, I can't see the circus that follows him being worth it for a backup job.

This is where I hope he goes to a team I am not a fan of. Let them take the gamble that the circus is worth however many wins he adds.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets be clear, this dude sucked 6 years ago and hasn't played since
This may be true, but has the new crop of QB that has come into the NFL been better than a sucky Kap?

Its so bad that Trubs & Mariota are getting second chances. Compared to what is out there, Kap could still be an upgrade.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be true, but has the new crop of QB that has come into the NFL been better than a sucky Kap?

Its so bad that Trubs & Mariota are getting second chances. Compared to what is out there, Kap could still be an upgrade.

NAILED IT - the fact that anyone is bringing him in to kick the tires proves your point.

NFL teams seem even more willing to pull the plug and start over at QB than in the past, and even more likely to throw their newly drafted QB into the fire to see if he has 'it' vs benching them for 2-3yrs to learn the game like they used to.

wouldn't mind seeing Kap compete in SEA or CAR for the starting job, those seem to be the most "in-need" teams right now. HOU maybe too, but I'd see if this Mills kid can chuck it over bringing in the Kap circus. I highly doubt Kap's willingness to accept a backup QB job a few years ago when he was first attempting to come back to the league, but if he's serious about being an NFL'er and be a backup, we could see him on sundays again at some point.

Baker is another one that looks to be on the same career path as Trubs/Mariota - flashed some potential, never put it all together for a full season.
Think Baker's lack of trade partners so far has been due to him wanting to be signed as the QB1 vs into a QB competition? no clue, just flinging some ideas around in the off season...I could be a beat writer!

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker is another one that looks to be on the same career path as Trubs/Mariota - flashed some potential, never put it all together for a full season.
He was definitely above the league average in 2020.

I have a suspicion he will perform far better this year than people expect. And if there's no trade and Watson is suspended for a while he'll get a bunch of weeks in September and October to make his case.

I'm not a fan, particularly, but the negative hype is a little overblown IMO.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was definitely above the league average in 2020.

I have a suspicion he will perform far better this year than people expect. And if there's no trade and Watson is suspended for a while he'll get a bunch of weeks in September and October to make his case.

I'm not a fan, particularly, but the negative hype is a little overblown IMO.

they won games in 2020, but was that due to Baker or their defense and run game?
Not sure I can agree with ABOVE league avg, with the stats being extremely avg or even below avg in 2020:
  • 3500 passing yards - below avg
  • 26 TDs - middle of the pack
  • 7.3 yd/att - middle of the pack
  • 62.8% completion rate - below avg
  • 43 big plays (over 20yds) - below avg
Those look like bridge QB stats while your team is looking for its franchise QB, not "pay this man ++$30mil/yr to be our starter". His performance was good ROI on a rookie contract, but teams with an unaddressed need at QB at the end of May are few and far between. I'd much rather have Baker than Kap as my backup QB, for whatever that's worth, but at least Kap's taken a team to the SB before.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they won games in 2020, but was that due to Baker or their defense and run game?
Not sure I can agree with ABOVE league avg, with the stats being extremely avg or even below avg in 2020:
Those look like bridge QB stats while your team is looking for its franchise QB, not "pay this man ++$30mil/yr to be our starter". His performance was good ROI on a rookie contract, but teams with an unaddressed need at QB at the end of May are few and far between. I'd much rather have Baker than Kap as my backup QB, for whatever that's worth, but at least Kap's taken a team to the SB before.
He was tenth in QBR that year. His interceptions were way down. He didn't get sacked a lot. His Adjusted Net Yards per Pass Attempt - which I think is a great metric - was #12. Not that exciting but still better than half the league.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports free agent QB Colin Kaepernick's workout with the Raiders "was largely considered a positive."​

In his quest to return to the NFL, Kaepernick reportedly turned in a solid outing with the Raiders on Thursday. Fowler noted that his arm strength and conditioning were both "good overall" as we now wait to get word on a potential signing. The 34-year-old quarterback last played in the league in 2016, but could push for the backup role behind Derek Carr. The Raiders made a trade for former Patriot Jarrett Stidham two weeks ago, and also have journeyman Nick Mullens on the roster.

Hey, IF the guy can play, great, whatever, welcome aboard, especially if you're good enough to displace Derrick f'n Carr.

:first::thumb::suds:where are the clapping hands when i need them...Great Stuff Mr Treff

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NAILED IT - the fact that anyone is bringing him in to kick the tires proves your point.
Appreciate it.
Didnt even think of Nick Foles as i was typing it. Foles' value is so low and yet to be reunited with Reich as a backup is "safe." Which is more of a reflection on the current state of the young QB in the NFL right now.

Not sure who the USFL passing leader is, but he may be getting a call from an NFL GM.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota coming out of college was compared to Kap. The team that just lost Mariota gave Kap a call. Fairly typical 'next man up' imo assuming Kap is good with being a backup

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure who the USFL passing leader is, but he may be getting a call from an NFL GM.

That guy? He got cut from his team for trying to order pizza from the hotel instead of eating chicken salad.

sounds totally made up, right? the only part that's fabricated is the "USFL passing leader". They actually cut a dude (RB I think?) from that league this year and told him it was because he was rude to the hotel staff. He politely declined their chicken salad and simply asked if they had something else like pizza he could eat. Should've just told the guy he wasn't good enough, don't have to make shit up for added drama, damn.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree and that was his "best" year out of 4 years of playing. ESPN had him ranked as QB 18 at the end of that season. We seen teams trade for these under whelming QBs, Wentz to the Colts, Darnold to the Panthers, are a couple from last season and I feel those teams regret those trades.
Folks can say Mayfield is better then X, Y,or Z QB, but does he really elevate the team? Is he someone future franchise QB? I don't think so. Now if he was a FA and is willing to sign a team friendly contract then sure, let come into camp and compete for a roster spot, but give something like the Colts or Panthers gave? No thanks and no to paying him the kind of money he's making. A trade like the Bridgewater to Broncos last year where the Panthers paid 17 out 20 million and received a 6th round future pick is about right and I got to say that deal didn't really help the Broncos. We talk about how RBs are replaceable because you can always find one, well mediocre QBs are not rare either.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, the one big sticking point..none of those young guys come with a media circus. None of those young guys are gonna have the mass media or half the general public questioning your motives (and thus your character as a human being/coach/gm/owner) if you don't start him.
If he's gonna be your starter, I absolutely get it, and i'm %100 behind it. If not, just ain't worth it, not by a long shot

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree and that was his "best" year out of 4 years of playing. ESPN had him ranked as QB 18 at the end of that season. We seen teams trade for these under whelming QBs, Wentz to the Colts, Darnold to the Panthers, are a couple from last season and I feel those teams regret those trades.
Folks can say Mayfield is better then X, Y,or Z QB, but does he really elevate the team? Is he someone future franchise QB? I don't think so. Now if he was a FA and is willing to sign a team friendly contract then sure, let come into camp and compete for a roster spot, but give something like the Colts or Panthers gave? No thanks and no to paying him the kind of money he's making. A trade like the Bridgewater to Broncos last year where the Panthers paid 17 out 20 million and received a 6th round future pick is about right and I got to say that deal didn't really help the Broncos. We talk about how RBs are replaceable because you can always find one, well mediocre QBs are not rare either.
Team friendly contract? For a QB that could be $15-$20M and Mayfield is right in that range. If you trade for Mayfield and the Browns cover 50% or more so you are looking at a ridiculous bargain. Sure it’s only for one year but that’s what you want. You want to see what he has and you are paying basically nothing for him. That’s why I don’t get the questions about elevating a team. It’s one year, is he better than the options you have, yes. You can’t even sign someone for his caliber in FA for that cheap. If he has a good year and that team ways to give him a multi-year contract…great. Teams like the Giants, for example, have nothing to lose. Jones isn’t the future and you can basically try him out for one year without paying a premium.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team friendly contract? For a QB that could be $15-$20M and Mayfield is right in that range. If you trade for Mayfield and the Browns cover 50% or more so you are looking at a ridiculous bargain. Sure it’s only for one year but that’s what you want. You want to see what he has and you are paying basically nothing for him. That’s why I don’t get the questions about elevating a team. It’s one year, is he better than the options you have, yes. You can’t even sign someone for his caliber in FA for that cheap. If he has a good year and that team ways to give him a multi-year contract…great. Teams like the Giants, for example, have nothing to lose. Jones isn’t the future and you can basically try him out for one year without paying a premium.
It's a losing strategy to invest in these mediocre QBs other then the bare minimum. The Wentz, Darnold and Mayfield of the world are basically fools gold and teams who sign them are basically simply spinning their wheels and getting no where.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the one big sticking point..none of those young guys come with a media circus. None of those young guys are gonna have the mass media or half the general public questioning your motives (and thus your character as a human being/coach/gm/owner) if you don't start him.
Circus?
Maybe if you're nostalgic I suppose. In the last 6 years, there has been enough political and social unrest to overshadow it, not to mention the NFL's own branding issues including Florez, Watson and the wife-beaters I cant remember that make kneeling during the national anthem seem harmless.