• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

False start rule

BradPittsEvilTwin

Keaton for President '16
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya the defense would think it's great, but why would the offense try a play they know will called back unless they do something even worse like a fumble or interception? They'd either just kneel it or chuck it out of bounds. No way does the offense run a play under that rule.
See 3rd down/punt/fg scenario.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would the offence even know the flag had been thrown? They usually only know due to the whistle being blown, not because of a yellow rag being tossed on the ground.

They seem to know just fine when they have a free play for offsides, what's the difference?

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said earlier, what if its 3rd down? Spiking really isn't an option without conceding the punt. Or a FG/punt attempt... can't just spike that either.

If that was the rule then that is exactly what they'd do. They'd concede the punt rather than risk a play that has absolutely zero chance of success because it's getting called back, or worse turned over.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one more item...the NFL already thinks its games are too long and this would just extend the game.

Offense would have no motivation to run a play and the 75 yard bomb is more exciting to the "causal" fan than a spiked ball.
A 75 yard bomb is more exciting to every fan than a spiked ball.

BradPittsEvilTwin

Keaton for President '16
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more I think the "no play" encroachment would be better. No freebies for the offense. Just move the ball 5 yds and start again.

They already do this if the defender has a free run at the qb.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more I think the "no play" encroachment would be better. No freebies for the offense. Just move the ball 5 yds and start again.

They already do this if the defender has a free run at the qb.
I disagree. If you can't stay disciplined enough to jump offside, you deserve to get burned. But like I said, just train your defenders to keep on going, don't even try to get back, and the officials blow the play dead anyway and you've got nothing to worry about.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the thing- if you watch GB- when Rodgers does the hard count on early downs his Oline never moves so that he has a chance at a free play. The defense crosses the line and then stops. If the defense would go ahead and continue , Rodgers will either get drilled or his Oline will have to hold to stop it which would offset the penalty.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why shouldn't this apply to the OL as well?
Because it's to prevent injury to the qb. If one lineman moves and the whole defensive line attacks while everyone on the offense stands around, the quarterback is going to get killed if you don't blow the play dead. It's the same reason they blow it dead if the defense is unabated to the quarterback.