• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

False start rule

BradPittsEvilTwin

Keaton for President '16
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the rule should be changed so that it is more like encroachment. Run the play, and the defense can then decide on accepting or declining the penalty. Offenses get "free plays" when someone jumps offsides. Why shouldn't the D get the same option?

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the rule should be changed so that it is more like encroachment. Run the play, and the defense can then decide on accepting or declining the penalty. Offenses get "free plays" when someone jumps offsides. Why shouldn't the D get the same option?

Once the flag is thrown for offside the offense can still make a big play. Once the flag is thrown for false start their would be no chance for the offense to do anything so why would they bother? Plus the league would never risk someone getting hurt on a play that was dead anyway.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once the flag is thrown for offside the offense can still make a big play. Once the flag is thrown for false start their would be no chance for the offense to do anything so why would they bother? Plus the league would never risk someone getting hurt on a play that was dead anyway.
Especially not a QB.

BradPittsEvilTwin

Keaton for President '16
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to try to make a play. Suppose it is 3rd and 3. The LG false starts. If the qb just spikes the ball, they have to punt. So they'd better run the play and try for the first down. If they fail, the D can decline the penalty.

I just don't understand why it's dead if the O jumps, but not when the D does. If you're going to allow free plays, which they do, they should allow them both ways.

BradPittsEvilTwin

Keaton for President '16
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The alternative would be to make all encroachments the same as "unabated to the qb" and stop the play immediately. No free plays.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to try to make a play. Suppose it is 3rd and 3. The LG false starts. If the qb just spikes the ball, they have to punt. So they'd better run the play and try for the first down. If they fail, the D can decline the penalty.

I just don't understand why it's dead if the O jumps, but not when the D does. If you're going to allow free plays, which they do, they should allow them both ways.

The NFL loooooooves offense. That's why almost every penalty favors the offense. It's also why almost every rule change has benefited the offense, and why QB's routinely throw for over 4000 yards and 40+ TDs when that used to be next to impossible a couple decades ago. Face it, the NFL would rather see a QB on a box of wheaties than they would a Defensive End or Linebacker.

Last edited:

BradPittsEvilTwin

Keaton for President '16
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt.

If I were a defensive coordinator I woukd teach my guys to never try to get back onside if they jump. Go directly at the qb as fast as you can and make them blow the play dead. No freebies.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't understand about false starts, is everybody on the offensive line can be set, the quarterback can then try to draw the defense offsides by yelling hut, hut, hut or whatever, then all the lineman can stand up and look around and get set again. Isn't that a false start?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt.

If I were a defensive coordinator I woukd teach my guys to never try to get back onside if they jump. Go directly at the qb as fast as you can and make them blow the play dead. No freebies.
I said something similar about the Broncos going against the Packers. Rodgers will kill you if you jump offsides, so I hope the coaches have been training the defensive players to just keep going once they go.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They would bother because there is a chance for the defense to make a big play, say a pick or a sack for a bigger loss than the penalty.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would bother because there is a chance for the defense to make a big play, say a pick or a sack for a bigger loss than the penalty.
Why wouldn't the QB just spike the ball? I guess then the defense would have to choose between 1st and 15 or 2nd and 10.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

really only a fumble and an interception would be the times the D would decline the penalty. Maybe...maybe a quarterback sack

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God for fucks sake can we just leave an NFL rule that has been there forever, alone?

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wouldn't the QB just spike the ball?

He could, but if treated as a live play he may not even know it's a false start penalty, in fact he may not even know a flag has been thrown since it's often to his side or back.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya the defense would think it's great, but why would the offense try a play they know will called back unless they do something even worse like a fumble or interception? They'd either just kneel it or chuck it out of bounds. No way does the offense run a play under that rule.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one more item...the NFL already thinks its games are too long and this would just extend the game.

Offense would have no motivation to run a play and the 75 yard bomb is more exciting to the "causal" fan than a spiked ball.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya the defense would think it's great, but why would the offense try a play they know will called back unless they do something even worse like a fumble or interception? They'd either just kneel it or chuck it out of bounds. No way does the offense run a play under that rule.

How would the offence even know the flag had been thrown? They usually only know due to the whistle being blown, not because of a yellow rag being tossed on the ground.

BradPittsEvilTwin

Keaton for President '16
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wouldn't the QB just spike the ball? I guess then the defense would have to choose between 1st and 15 or 2nd and 10.
As I said earlier, what if its 3rd down? Spiking really isn't an option without conceding the punt. Or a FG/punt attempt... can't just spike that either.