• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Everything and Anything Superhero-Related

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's the primary reason. Batman v Superman, two most iconic superheroes ever, first time on BIG SCREEN, and Warner Bros don't think this one won't top the Cap 3 where people have already seen Ironman and Cap several times, and add to that was the failure of Age of Ultron compared to The Avengers?

They moved BvS mainly because they want to top the list of Highest Grossing Films of All Time or be in that conversation imo. They are maximizing the gross they will be gaining when the movie is released. Obviously, you'll gross more on a week without a major competitor around.

Star Wars this Christmas will probably obliterate any chance of that. It could join the Avatar and Titantic club in 3 billion in theater and blue ray sales. Not to mention how much will be also generated for Disney via cable and dish on demand, online streaming services like Netflix, merchandising, and theme park tie-ins.

BvS will be hugely successful, but no way it gets close to the 2-3 billion club. Star Wars on the other hand.....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Star Wars this Christmas will probably obliterate any chance of that. It could join the Avatar and Titantic club in 3 billion in theater and blue ray sales. Not to mention how much will be also generated for Disney via cable and dish on demand, online streaming services like Netflix, merchandising, and theme park tie-ins.

BvS will be hugely successful, but no way it gets close to the 2-3 billion club. Star Wars on the other hand.....
All depends on early reviews of SWVII. If the early reviews are good, than yes, it could be a 2B+ movie. If it is compared to Phantom Menace, I think it maxes at about 600-700 M

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All depends on early reviews of SWVII. If the early reviews are good, than yes, it could be a 2B+ movie. If it is compared to Phantom Menace, I think it maxes at about 600-700 M

I consider PM to be one of the worst movies of all time, and it still made all that money based on the strength of the source material from the former movies and gearing it completely towards children.

There is no way in hell this will compare to that stinking pile of Lucas shit. The trailers already displaying they knocked it out of the park. The cast, the story, the use of practical effects and real sets. It's going to be one of the biggest block busters of all time. People will be lining up for days to see it in IMAX.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I consider PM to be one of the worst movies of all time, and it still made all that money based on the strength of the source material from the former movies and gearing it completely towards children.

There is no way in hell this will compare to that stinking pile of Lucas shit. The trailers already displaying they knocked it out of the park. The cast, the story, the use of practical effects and real sets. It's going to be one of the biggest block busters of all time. People will be lining up for days to see it in IMAX.
I wouldnt go quite that far on PM, but I get your gist. The fact that they are going with anamitronics (sp?) and puppets in this flick with CG as the support instead of pure, 100% CG like PM bodes very well for the direction they are going. But to say it will definitely be on par (or surpassing) IV and V is a bit premature.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt go quite that far on PM, but I get your gist. The fact that they are going with anamitronics (sp?) and puppets in this flick with CG as the support instead of pure, 100% CG like PM bodes very well for the direction they are going. But to say it will definitely be on par (or surpassing) IV and V is a bit premature.

The original star war movies basically became a part of US culture. I'm not saying the new movie will have the same type of impact. Animitronics is nice, but not one of the main reasons to like this movie. Sure there will be plenty of effects in this movie.

But 1-3 was a disaster for very obvious reasons. The main one being George Lucas anointed himself total control over every decision in the movie. From writing the script himself, to choosing the actors, to directing, to the actors delivery and actions, to choosing what effects to use, to when to use green screen vs real sets.

Watching the behind the scenes videos of the making of those movies is like watching a slow motion disaster that sadly could be adverted. I couldn't even believe they released them because it provided in great detail all the massive fuckups and what a mental case Lucas was. They knew after the final cut private screening of PM what a pile of shit it was. They even dared to include their reactions after they watched what Lucas had put together. Everyone had a look of dread on their faces. They knew how bad this thing was.

It should be mandatory watching at any film and arts program schools on how to fuck a production up.

There is he surrounding himself with yes people and anytime anyone tried to speak up with a different idea or critic what George was doing, it was overridden. Someone accurately stated that the reason 1-3 made a majority of it's money was because SW fans were suffering from "battered spouse" syndrome. You kept coming back hoping that it would get better somehow, but Lucas kept abusing you with his egomaniac bullshit.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not seen the making-of videos. I need track those down.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not seen the making-of videos. I need track those down.

When George starts ranting on about how Jar-Jar Binks is the glue that will hold the movies together, you want to reach out through the tv and strangle him. Again, it's like watching a slow motion man made disaster unfold and a lesson in why even billionaires need people around them to let them know when their acting batshit crazy or make worldclass bad decisions.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't watched it yet, but it looks like it is on YouTube.

I will watch it either tonight or sometime this weekend.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a bit biased since I was a kid when episodes 1-3 came out so I never thought they were that bad. Jar-Jar Binks has to be one of the worst, most boring characters in the history of movies/television though.

I can see where Lucas was coming from, a bumbling doofus with a heart of gold turned war-hero isn't a terrible idea in theory. But the way he executed it was horrible, definitely would have been better if he wasn't a borderline racist, weird looking alien made completely out of CGI.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I'm saying though, they moved because they didn't want to compete. Yes part of it is that they'd have significant competition but part of it is also the specific film that they were going to compete against.

I'm not sure that people are going to be any less enthused with Civil War just because they've seen Captain America and Iron Man before. The appeal is much the same as Batman v Superman. It's Cap vs. Tony Stark. Only there are a slew of great films staring the current versions of Cap and Iron Man ( only Iron Man 2 and 3 weren't great) and one sort of meh film with the current Superman. Although I will say that Man of Steel was better than I thought it was going to be.

And I guess maybe you can call Age of Ultron a relative failure compared to the Avengers but you're still comparing the third highest grossing film of all time to the sixth.
You can't forget about batman. Although you and I know it's a reboot and has nothing to do with the Nolan films, those films are going to draw people to see BvS.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know she is getting older, but she is in no way old enough for Aunt Mae. Who is playing Uncle Ben? Shia LeBeouf?

Fingers crossed.

Really it would make sense for his actual aunt to be around 50 since Peter Parker is a high school kid but traditionally she is an elderly woman so this is kind of a head scratcher.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fingers crossed.

Really it would make sense for his actual aunt to be around 50 since Peter Parker is a high school kid but traditionally she is an elderly woman so this is kind of a head scratcher.
I knew you would like that casting. :)

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Ant-Man today. Not as bad as I expected considering the issues they had in production. Worth seeing it in 2D. Effects were well done. Humor was good. Script was decent. Evangeline Lilly is hot as hell.

Appears Marvel is serious about this character not just being a one movie project. He may get another dedicated movie and appears he could be involved in the next Capt. America project as well.

Stick around till the end credits complete. Two important bits are reveled.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Ant-Man today. Not as bad as I expected considering the issues they had in production. Worth seeing it in 2D. Effects were well done. Humor was good. Script was decent. Evangeline Lilly is hot as hell.

Appears Marvel is serious about this character not just being a one movie project. He may get another dedicated movie and appears he could be involved in the next Capt. America project as well.

Really liked Ant Man, might be a top 5 Marvel movie for me. Pacing was really solid, Rudd, Lilly, Douglas, and Pena were great, fight scenes were well done, and plenty of easter eggs for those who've seen all the other films. Maybe a little goofy at times but overall worth the price of admission.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really liked Ant Man, might be a top 5 Marvel movie for me. Pacing was really solid, Rudd, Lilly, Douglas, and Pena were great, fight scenes were well done, and plenty of easter eggs for those who've seen all the other films. Maybe a little goofy at times but overall worth the price of admission.

I thought Antman was enjoyable for what it was. It's the same safe Marvel formula with a different character and different story but what makes Antman really stand out are the scenes where he is able to shrink and manipulate his size. I thought there were too many jokes. Some hit and missed but the ones that hit were hilarious. Pena stole the show every time he was on screen.

At this point with every Marvel movie you kind of know what to expect. It's going to be good but not great. Entertaining but never really compelling. It's the same formulaic recipe for success. It's continuing to work but I think eventually people are grow tired of it if Marvel doesn't change it up and take more risks with their films.

8/10 for Antman

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvel continues to use the same formula to death for sure. But got to give them credit, they're still working it with some very obscure characters like the guardians and ant-man. But agree that it's getting long in the tooth and they're going to have to start taking risks to keep it fresh.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure that it's the Marvel formula as much as just the general Super Hero movie formula, and that's likely not changing anytime soon because it's making ass loads of money.