• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN reporting Fitzgerald soon to be traded

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That figure can be restructured and allocated to future years.

I think that would be a mistake (at least for a team like the 49ers & with Fitz at his age - hypothetically speaking). If the Niners trade for a WR he needs to be a guy who's going to be a #1 guy for the very long term IMO.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Hold on... I just realized the team who trades for Fitz doesn't have to take his bounus hit, so maybe it wouldn't be such a bad move after all.

:think:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that would be a mistake (at least for a team like the 49ers & with Fitz at his age - hypothetically speaking). If the Niners trade for a WR he needs to be a guy who's going to be a #1 guy for the very long term IMO.

I'm not talking about the 49ers, and there's absolutely way they are trading him to a division rival. I was speaking generally.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hold on... I just realized the team who trades for Fitz doesn't have to take his bounus hit, so maybe it wouldn't be such a bad move after all.

:think:

What's the breakdown? Any bonuses paid out after he's traded the new team would be responsible for. My quick search revealed a 10M signing bonus prorated over 5 years that the new team wouldn't be responsible for, but a 12.75M base salary and many other option bonuses.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to post his exact quote because it leaves a different feel when you hear/read his EXACT words in my opinion:

"A trade for Larry Fitzgerald will be in play this offseason in the unlikely event a deal isn't completed before Tuesday's trade deadline.

Fitzgerald's salary cap number balloons to 18M dollars next season. Arizona and Fitzgerald are going to have to figure out a restructured contract or a trade that would allow each side to go its own way with the WR finishing his career on a franchise that wins more consistently than Arizona.

But multiple league executives said Fitzgerald's future with the Cardinals is in question. Come this offseason, both will be on the clock when some believe a divorce is somewhere between possible and inevitable."

Um, did you cut and paste that directly? Schefter's piece says "likely", which is sort of the exact opposite of "unlikely"

Larry Fitzgerald trade from Arizona Cardinals in play this offseason - ESPN

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took it from the on-air television segment this morning.

Looks like either Schefter misspoke on TV or you transcribed it wrong, his twitter also says "likely"

Last edited by a moderator:

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another good WR on the trading block, will only help make this a buyer's market and bring down the price of the sellers...

If teams like Cleveland and NY have only been posturing to get the best deal possible, this is not good news for them...

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitzgerald shits on nicks and Gordon. It's not even close.

Fitz for a first (with a contract rework) is a better deal than nicks or Gordon for a seventh.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Fitz for a first (with a contract rework) is a better deal than nicks or Gordon for a seventh.

I'm going to strongly disagree with that. Especially if you're including contract restructures. Fitz is 30, not old but not young.

Nicks is 25 and Gordon is 22.

If you can rework contracts, Gordon is the best option there by a considerable margin.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon's prime at all his upside doesn't come close to fitz's next five years. I would also actually be a pretty big fan of acquiring nicks, but I wouldn't touch Gordon. His off the field problems are a concern that it takes far more talent to put up with.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Gordon's prime at all his upside doesn't come close to fitz's next five years. I would also actually be a pretty big fan of acquiring nicks, but I wouldn't touch Gordon. His off the field problems are a concern that it takes far more talent to put up with.

Well, you're saying Fitz for a 1st is better than Gordon for a 7th. Think about what you could get with the 1st relative to the 7th as well.

That being said, Gordon's off field stuff doesn't concern me all that much. I'd rather have Gordon than Fitz even with = compensation.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? Fitz is the best receiver in the NFL with several years left and Gordon doesn't even have the potential to crack the top 10.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seriously? Fitz is the best receiver in the NFL with several years left and Gordon doesn't even have the potential to crack the top 10.

You went 0 for 2 with that statement.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I wasn't really trying to make a comparison with the WR's, just simply stating it helps any team looking to add a WR through a trade because the market was bigger...

But, I would also disagree with your statement. Fitz is still a great WR, but he is not what he was 2 or 3 years ago. And you don't have to bring up the fact that Arizona has had a miserable time finding decent QB play, because honestly you could make the same case with Gordon and the QB play in Cleveland. If you compare this years stats, Gordon has more yards, a higher avg per catch but has 2 less TD's. But thats also with 2 less games played. If Gordon can stay out of trouble, I would think the next 5 seasons would favor Gordon...

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitz>Calvin. Calvin is the only guy you can compare to Fitz and have a chance of being taken seriously, though.