• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eric Mangini Regrets Spygate

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It feels like forever ago, but it really wasn't that long ago when Eric Mangini and Bill Belichick paired up as one of the league's best coaching duos. From 2000-04, Mangini served as the Patriots' defensive backs coach before taking over as the defensive coordinator in 2005. In those six seasons, the Patriots won 63 regular-season games and three Super Bowls.

And then it all went to hell. Mangini left for the Jets and started what became known as Spygate, a scandal that cost the Patriots a first-round draft pick and money, and ultimately branded them as cheaters.

Speaking with the New York Post's Brian Costello in an article that was published Tuesday, Mangini -- now out of the NFL -- opened up on his damaged relationship with Belichick. He admitted that he regrets Spygate.

From the Post's article:

"Spygate is a big regret," Mangini said. "It wasn't supposed to go down the way it went down."

Mangini warned Jets security that the Patriots could be videotaping the Jets' signals during their game at Giants Stadium on Sept. 9, 2007. He knew this from his time in New England. Mangini wanted the Patriots stopped, but he never thought it would get reported to the league.

But Tannenbaum reported it to the NFL, and Spygate was born. The NFL fined Belichick $500,000 and the Patriots $250,000. They also were stripped of their first-round pick in the 2008 draft.

"There was no great value in what they were doing," Mangini said. "It wasn't worth it. It wasn't worth it to me personally. It wasn't worth it to the relationship."

Mangini went on to explain why he did report it, even if he acknowledged that the Patriots weren't gaining much by taping teams: because he didn't want to put the Jets at a competitive disadvantage, which makes sense. He added, however, that he cared about Belichick and the Patriots and didn't want to hurt them.

So clearly, he still regrets how his relationship with Belichick ended. He revealed to the Post that he hasn't held a real conversation with Belichick in a decade. In that same story, Mangini also offers some interesting insight into the brief Brett Favre era -- so go read it -- but let's stick with Spygate.

Though Mangini shouldn't feel bad for ratting out Belichick -- he would've been doing his team a disservice had he allowed the Patriots to film his signals -- he unintentionally ruined the Patriots organization's reputation. Would Deflategate really have mattered or generated any kind of interest if it had involved, say, the Bills or the Chargers? Because Spygate was already on the Patriots' record (and because they win, a lot), Deflategate turned into a giant scandal, even though the PSI levels of a few footballs hardly mattered in a blowout of a game.

Again, I'm not saying the Patriots were blameless in Spygate. I'm also not saying the Jets were wrong to report the Patriots. I'm guessing the other 30 teams were thankful they did that.

But from Mangini's perspective, the regret makes sense. He lost one of his friends and mentors, and he's no longer coaching in the NFL after his recent stint as the 49ers' defensive coordinator ended last year.

Meanwhile, Belichick is doing just fine in his post-Mangini years. He won another Super Bowl and remains the best coach in the league -- exemplified by the Patriots' 3-0 start without Tom Brady.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though Mangini shouldn't feel bad for ratting out Belichick -- he would've been doing his team a disservice had he allowed the Patriots to film his signals -- he unintentionally ruined the Patriots organization's reputation.
The Patriots ruined their own reputation. If it wasn't helping, or if as the article claims it only helped a little, then they shouldn't have been doing it. But they decided to thumb their nose at the NFL after the league sent out that memo, so they have no one to blame for their ruined reputation but themselves.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots ruined their own reputation. If it wasn't helping, or if as the article claims it only helped a little, then they shouldn't have been doing it. But they decided to thumb their nose at the NFL after the league sent out that memo, so they have no one to blame for their ruined reputation but themselves.

And yet the only rule they were found in violation of was filming from an unapproved location, not for the filming itself. Which by the way they still do, but it is now from an enclosed area as prescribed by the league.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet the only rule they were found in violation of was filming from an unapproved location, not for the filming itself. Which by the way they still do, but it is now from an enclosed area as prescribed by the league.
So they were breaking a rule, after the NFL sent out a memo before the season specifically saying not to do it?

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they were breaking a rule, after the NFL sent out a memo before the season specifically saying not to do it?

No question about it. The " genius" but arrogant BB said he misinterpreted it. Kraft called Bill a schmuch, deservedly so, no real advantage but disgrace and black cloud over organization

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right, which gave them an advantage. 100% of home teams when choosing their sidelines have their opponents facing the filming locations and their own backs to the camera's in the press/media box. Now with filming from the approved locations home teams hand signals and signs are not filmed.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, which gave visiting teams an advantage. 100% of home teams when choosing their sidelines have their opponents facing the filming locations and their own backs to the camera's in the press/media box. Now with filming from the approved locations home teams hand signals and signs are not filmed.

It didn't just apply to the Patriots.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didn't just apply to the Patriots.

Sorry I meant to say which gave teams that chose to film from outside of the press/media box when on the road an advantage. That's the only way to get tape on your opponents signals on road games.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
solid take on what it was all about, and how it was handled.

The Truth About Spygate: Punishing Success and Promoting Parity
LOL...the title alone tells me not to bother reading it...like the league had to knock down the Pats because they were too good for everyone else? What asinine, arrogant Boston writer that is unable to accept his favorite teams flaws and feels everyone is out to get them wrote that garbage??? Actually, I guess it could be about 80% of Pats fans...

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...the title alone tells me not to bother reading it...like the league had to knock down the Pats because they were too good for everyone else? What asinine, arrogant Boston writer that is unable to accept his favorite teams flaws and feels everyone is out to get them wrote that garbage??? Actually, I guess it could be about 80% of Pats fans...

Couldn't refute the facts layed out in the article, huh?:thumb:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a decades-long pattern of deceit from Robert Kraft down.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't refute the facts layed out in the article, huh?:thumb:
I didn't click on the link. But I'm sure the word "facts" is a stretch at best. It amazes me when people try to say the league is trying to make a specific team lose a game or not be as good in general. It's complete horseshit. Does the league want parity? Of course they do; over time. But they strive for it through long term avenues like the draft and salary cap. They don't try to directly make the teams that are currently good, less dominant through some nefarious ways. That's just a stupid premise. Cheaters get punished whether they are good or bad and how good they are does not come into play AT ALL. It's just a way for whiny fans to justify negatives that happen to their team. My personal favorite is 'the league told the refs to...'

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bah, another Spygate thread in the midst of a TN game. What is the NFL coming to?

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't click on the link. But I'm sure the word "facts" is a stretch at best. It amazes me when people try to say the league is trying to make a specific team lose a game or not be as good in general. It's complete horseshit. Does the league want parity? Of course they do; over time. But they strive for it through long term avenues like the draft and salary cap. They don't try to directly make the teams that are currently good, less dominant through some nefarious ways. That's just a stupid premise. Cheaters get punished whether they are good or bad and how good they are does not come into play AT ALL. It's just a way for whiny fans to justify negatives that happen to their team. My personal favorite is 'the league told the refs to...'

Afraid to find out something that doesn't fit your biased narrative then, huh?:thumb:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What, he is trying to get his job back with the Patriots or something now that the Jets blow chunks this season?