• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Enjoy it while you can, Philthies

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real problem that the Philthies and their fans face are expectations. They are expected to win it all. Just like they were last year. We never had that hanging over our heads. We were always the underdog and every step we took was a step farther then anyone thought we would go. But like everyone here says ... once you reach the playoffs - it's a crap shoot. Our pitching can shut down any offense. The problem we have is that any pitching can shut down ours. Big money teams play for that moment in time. Bad contacts given on the hope that it will carry them to paradise. Usually it's the grave yard. NYY continually have one of the highest salary structures in baseball but money can't buy everything that a WS Champion team actually needs. I personally feel that if it wasn't for Brooks Conrad we never make it past Atlanta last year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real problem that the Philthies and their fans face are expectations. They are expected to win it all. Just like they were last year. We never had that hanging over our heads. We were always the underdog and every step we took was a step farther then anyone thought we would go. But like everyone here says ... once you reach the playoffs - it's a crap shoot. Our pitching can shut down any offense. The problem we have is that any pitching can shut down ours. Big money teams play for that moment in time. Bad contacts given on the hope that it will carry them to paradise. Usually it's the grave yard. NYY continually have one of the highest salary structures in baseball but money can't buy everything that a WS Champion team actually needs. I personally feel that if it wasn't for Brooks Conrad we never make it past Atlanta last year.

Exactly the reason many of us declared a few days ago that we would be pulling for the Braves in the playoffs this year if the miracle does not exist for us.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The thing is, when the baseball gods are smiling, there's always some unexpected hero (Renteria) or goat (Conrad) that you can look back on and say was the 'reason'. The reason we won is we fought all year to make the playoffs, then pitched great in the playoffs and got a little luck. All the winners get a little luck.

Dave Roberts in 2004, Bill Buckner in 1986, etc. There's always a small thing or two that a series ends up pivoting on...

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The thing is, when the baseball gods are smiling, there's always some unexpected hero (Renteria) or goat (Conrad) that you can look back on and say was the 'reason'. The reason we won is we fought all year to make the playoffs, then pitched great in the playoffs and got a little luck. All the winners get a little luck.

Dave Roberts in 2004, Bill Buckner in 1986, etc. There's always a small thing or two that a series ends up pivoting on...

This. If I'm able to, then rep for you sir.

Good find by the way, I've been saying the same thing to my buddies that are Phillies fans for awhile now:happy:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. If I'm able to, then rep for you sir.

Good find by the way, I've been saying the same thing to my buddies that are Phillies fans for awhile now:happy:

:yo:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From the article:

the Phillies' offense isn't particularly good. After finishing first or second in the NL in runs scored every year from 2005 to 2010, the Phillies have dropped to sixth this season.

They're actually fourth in Runs/Game, right now. The Giants are sixteenth, and are not close to the fifteenth team. Giants are not just the worst offense, they're an outlier in futility. And this guy is upset with the sixth worst offence?

Last edited by a moderator:
Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlike Ryan Howard, this never gets old. And this is for recon: :D

howard1.gif

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least this is posted on OUR board, and not the Philth board. I am sure if the roles were reversed, Recon would be posting a similar GIF here...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlike Ryan Howard, this never gets old. And this is for recon: :D

howard1.gif

Watch the ump on that gif...

As he punches Howard out, Howard's head goes back, as if the ump is ACTUALLY punching him out.

A thing of beauty :)

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least this is posted on OUR board, and not the Philth board. I am sure if the roles were reversed, Recon would be posting a similar GIF here...

Yeah guys, Recon actually is a solid citizen on the hockey board. I have no problem with us giving him some ribbing here, but we can't have it both ways. Either we poke fun at him and he's welcome to do what he's been doing on our board, or we don't call him out at all. I think it's only fair.

EDIT: Not saying we can't poke fun at other teams, but singling/calling out certain posters that we haven't agreed with when we don't want them posting here is taking it to the extreme as far as fairness is concerned (in my humble opinion of course).

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best. Pitch. EVER

I would love to see someone try to hit that in that location.

You could try to go oppo with it...Panda could get a hit off it :panda:

I was out on the town that night with a big group of couples and the whole restaurant was looking at their phones with every pitch. When that one happened the whole place exploded, it was so awesome.

I made sure to confirm it was a strike and not an umpjack. It was, right on the black.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could try to go oppo with it...Panda could get a hit off it :panda:

I was out on the town that night with a big group of couples and the whole restaurant was looking at their phones with every pitch. When that one happened the whole place exploded, it was so awesome.

I made sure to confirm it was a strike and not an umpjack. It was, right on the black.

numlocation.php-pitchSel=451216&game=gid_2010_10_23_sfnmlb_phimlb_1&batterX=81&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3.gif

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah guys, Recon actually is a solid citizen on the hockey board. I have no problem with us giving him some ribbing here, but we can't have it both ways. Either we poke fun at him and he's welcome to do what he's been doing on our board, or we don't call him out at all. I think it's only fair.

EDIT: Not saying we can't poke fun at other teams, but singling/calling out certain posters that we haven't agreed with when we don't want them posting here is taking it to the extreme as far as fairness is concerned (in my humble opinion of course).

My bad. I just hated him coming over here and making snarky comments and then adding the :D as if he were just kidding. Won't happen again.

And no way in hell would I post something like that gif on the Philth board. Just wouldn't be sporting, nor proper. The thought had crossed my mind, but they get as many posters in a week as we do in a single GDT. Maybe they are all hockey fans. :hockeysmile:

norcaliftom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Before Philly fans start celebrating their WS Championship in September they should take a look at how many #1 seeds from the NL have even made it to the World Series in the last 15 years.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Before Philly fans start celebrating their WS Championship in September they should take a look at how many #1 seeds from the NL have even made it to the World Series in the last 15 years.

Welcome to SportsHoopla, Norcaliftom.