• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Emancipation (2022)

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emancipation - Now that's HILARIOUS

100% you know Will's agents were like, "Look you punched Chris Rock..... so the only way we can repair your image is do a movie about race and slavery." Will: "YES, Sign me up."

lmfao.. give me a break.

Thoughts on this movie? Trailer looked pretty bleh.

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% you know Will's agents were like, "Look you punched Chris Rock..... so the only way we can repair your image is do a movie about race and slavery." Will: "YES, Sign me up."

lmfao.. give me a break.

Thoughts on this movie? Trailer looked pretty bleh.
Nice try Op, "the slap" was an unknown event when Smith took the role and even completed filming by the time he effed up his reputation.

“Emancipation” was shot in the summer of 2021. Until the slap, its release had been expected in 2022. Smith resigned before he could be banned by the academy, but remains eligible for an Oscar nomination."

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh nevermind he's the producer of it as well as I'm now seeing.. lmao...
Nice try Op, "the slap" was an unknown event when Smith took the role and even completed filming by the time he effed up his reputation.

“Emancipation” was shot in the summer of 2021. Until the slap, its release had been expected in 2022. Smith resigned before he could be banned by the academy, but remains eligible for an Oscar nomination."

So.... the slap was pre-meditated..... hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

This changes everything.

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh nevermind he's the producer of it as well as I'm now seeing.. lmao...

So.... the slap was pre-meditated..... hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

This changes everything.
muppet-muppet-show.gif

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K so just finished it and meh!?

12 years a slave, Amistad, Lincoln, hell even Django (which was an exaggeration but entertaining as F all and the performances were FAR better than Will "I can't do non-comedic movies" Smith) did it so much more convincingly.... Ben Foster runs around like a fuckin' Terminator and I kept just thinking with regards to Smith's character, "How is this guy not infected yet or actually traveling 5 days worth to get to the Union?" Now I'm sure that was actually the case with escaped slaves, but it got a little lazy with what I'm sure everything slaves had to endure. And then Smith just runs into some other escaped slave we met earlier from the film who apparently had 'no problem' getting to where Smith has gone who had to elude the Terminator multiple times, kill a croc, travel via a stolen boat and re-supply he got, and use a ton of bushman tactics? What!? Naturally that slave gets shot like a putz.

The grainy black and white film just really didn't do it for me. And then the praying and constant moving back to his wife and kids was just kind of over the top. This movie DRAAAAAAAAAAGGGED on, holy shit. 2 hours and 13 minutes? It could've been an hour and 30 the way they shot it.

And don't get me wrong, traveling 5 days through a swamp would be RIDICULOUSLY full of challenges and survival... but this film doesn't focus on any of it, so why is the 2 hour+ run time needed? Will Smith was... meh. I dunno, I know he's trying to make peace with his ridiculous Oscar's act, but this film was kind of lazy about it.

There's a lot of great movies about slavery that tell a big part of American history (and yes we all agree it's tragic, but it is history, much like the Holocaust, etc.), and this just isn't one of them. You know what would be an interesting take? How Africans sold their own into slavery into Europe, and how they kicked off slavery in general in Western civilization. Oh no, but can't touch that subject. That doesn't fit in with the PC/SJW Hollyweird agenda.

4/10, I was skipping along at about halfway through the film to get the 'Cliffs Notes' and file that one away. Could not recommend this. It just made me want to go back and watch 12 years a slave (legit was welling up at the end) or Django kicking ass.

Last edited: