• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Elliotte Friedman 31 thoughts

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but did he see that fucking dunk contest?! Kinda beats the snot out of watching YOUNG CROSBY skate fast.

The NBA will impress me when one of their players dresses up like Chewbacca for said dunk contest.

And to answer the "did you see that" question; no. I didn't.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA will impress me when one of their players dresses up like Chewbacca for said dunk contest.

I said "he". And one guy jumped over a god damned mascot.

But accuracy shooting is exciting, too. It'd probably mean something different in the NBA though :D

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh yeah that was a real thrill for me, total excitement. I mean, a guy put on a Chewbacca mask! And then we got to see a guy wearing a Chewbacca mask walk in and take a slapshot into an empty net? That is the kind of thing that all hockey players dream of being able to do. I was on the edge of my seat... is he gonna miss the net? Just exhilarating.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah that was a real thrill for me, total excitement. I mean, a guy put on a Chewbacca mask! And then we got to see a guy wearing a Chewbacca mask walk in and take a slapshot into an empty net? That is the kind of thing that all hockey players dream of being able to do. I was on the edge of my seat... is he gonna miss the net? Just exhilarating.

Tough crowd. Not even a chuckle for the evolution video?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the talking point from one of your "premier events" (cackle) is a costume and a rookie who can skate fast, your event isn't going to be talked about a lot.

I thought the talking point was showcasing the players and their down to earth, genuinely good guy personalities (void where Patrick Kane exists).

Shame they can't jump over stuff. THAT would have been something.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the talking point was showcasing the players and their down to earth, genuinely good guy personalities (void where Patrick Kane exists).

Shame they can't jump over stuff. THAT would have been something.
Uh...really? Is that what you watch sports for?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wait ... he was wearing a mask?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting thoughts regarding Mike Hoffman of the Senators...

9. Are we looking at the final 15 games of Mike Hoffman’s tenure in Ottawa? Sure looks like it. The winger was benched Saturday in Toronto, then played 13:46 the next night against Dallas. I talked about it with one agent (not Hoffman’s), who points out the contract power pendulum will switch from the club, which did very well in his arbitration case last summer, to the player. He is one year from unrestricted free agency, and can go to arbitration once again. This time, his resume is deeper, as he’s become one of the best even-strength scorers in the league. Unless the Senators believe in him enough to offer a lengthy extension, and their usage certainly indicates doubt, you can’t let him walk for nothing.

30 Thoughts: Making the NHL's development model better - Sportsnet.ca

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting thoughts regarding Mike Hoffman of the Senators...

9. Are we looking at the final 15 games of Mike Hoffman’s tenure in Ottawa? Sure looks like it. The winger was benched Saturday in Toronto, then played 13:46 the next night against Dallas. I talked about it with one agent (not Hoffman’s), who points out the contract power pendulum will switch from the club, which did very well in his arbitration case last summer, to the player. He is one year from unrestricted free agency, and can go to arbitration once again. This time, his resume is deeper, as he’s become one of the best even-strength scorers in the league. Unless the Senators believe in him enough to offer a lengthy extension, and their usage certainly indicates doubt, you can’t let him walk for nothing.

30 Thoughts: Making the NHL's development model better - Sportsnet.ca

The thing about Hoffman is that his coach is a useless fucking moron. He stifles all creativity in his players at any cost, with the only exception being Erik Karlsson who he gives the green light to at all times.

Seems OK for Karlsson right? Wrong. The last dozen games the guy has been burned out from playing 30+ minutes a night being the only guy to generate offense (Pageau and Stone being the only other exceptions here). Now even when Karlsson does make a great play to create transition plays, chances are it's to a scrub like Zack Smith (although credit for a decent season with a massively inflated shooting %) because those types of players are getting more ice-time than Mike fucking Hoffman, despite Hoffman being one of the best per 60 goal scorers in the league. Even creative players now benefit from a Karlsson pass and proceed to mindlessly dump the puck into the corner and wonder what the fuck they should do next because none of this makes any sense. Fucking Cameron!!

Cameron actually played Mark Borowiecki ahead of Hoffman on the wing for a game. MARK BOROWIECKI!! The guy is extremely lucky to have a one-way contract as a goon 7th defenseman but he "gives it all out there", "is a real glue guy", "plays the right way!!". SO Hoffman sits and gets rightly pissed off while Cameron coaches like a 1970s Junior B coach. :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

/rant

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
13. NHL teams ignore their fans at their own risk, but you don’t want to move into what CFL legend Pinball Clemons called “Paralysis by Analysis.” I see that in Vancouver. If the Canucks lead the league in something, it’s fan forums. There was one last summer, there was one the day Chris Higgins was sent down and there was one last week. There’s another on Tuesday. That is too much. By all means, have a couple of them. Answer questions, explain reasoning, kiss babies. But, every time I read the transcripts, they come across as tense and difficult. It’s not the way an organization should be run, because it poisons the relationship and creates doubt. At some point, you have to stand up and say, “We love your support, we can’t be who we are without it, but we can’t be explaining ourselves every other week.”

no shit. these used to be interesting.
much like the outdoor game, I guess.

also, considering some of the boneheaded moves the brain trust has made lately,
I don't really care much what they have to say

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That whole "19 year old requirement for draft" thing sounds like a lateral move. The problem with development is that 19 year olds can't play in the AHL if they were drafted out of the CHL, not that they're drafted too young. How exactly would McDavid have benefitted by playing in the CHL this year?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That whole "19 year old requirement for draft" thing sounds like a lateral move. The problem with development is that 19 year olds can't play in the AHL if they were drafted out of the CHL, not that they're drafted too young. How exactly would McDavid have benefitted by playing in the CHL this year?

Agreed, regardless if you move the draft age up to 19, allow these kids drafted from the Dub, OHL, and QMJHL to play in the AHL (i.e. let the NHL team decide if they would rather have the player back in junior or at their AHL affiliate).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, regardless if you move the draft age up to 19, allow these kids drafted from the Dub, OHL, and QMJHL to play in the AHL (i.e. let the NHL team decide if they would rather have the player back in junior or at their AHL affiliate).
I get what they're trying to do, but when kids in Russia and Sweden etc. are playing against men by the age of 18 I can't see how keeping our kids in the juniors is anything other than a disadvantage.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get what they're trying to do, but when kids in Russia and Sweden etc. are playing against men by the age of 18 I can't see how keeping our kids in the juniors is anything other than a disadvantage.

I think the real solution is probably some type of compromise. For example, where they give each AHL team one under-age roster spot. That way when you've got a team that's loaded with young guys you might be able to force them to choose who to send back to juniors and who gets to go to the AHL.

I know it's not what the C wants, but it might be a good enough compromise so that they avoid future Matthews-type situations.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the real solution is probably some type of compromise. For example, where they give each AHL team one under-age roster spot. That way when you've got a team that's loaded with young guys you might be able to force them to choose who to send back to juniors and who gets to go to the AHL.

I know it's not what the C wants, but it might be a good enough compromise so that they avoid future Matthews-type situations.
I just see it all as detrimental. 18 is a fine year for players to be drafted, and the team that drafts should have final say on where they spend their time developing.

Homer example here, but Mitch Marner is way too fucking good to be playing OHL hockey this year but probably still too green for the show. How is it helping him to beat up on opposition he is so far above right now rather than learning the tools of the trade in the AHL? And say he's still not considered good enough for the NHL next year (he will be, but for example's sake), then what? ANOTHER year of beating up on OHLers? How does that help him, and how does that help younger OHLers?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just see it all as detrimental. 18 is a fine year for players to be drafted, and the team that drafts should have final say on where they spend their time developing.

Homer example here, but Mitch Marner is way too fucking good to be playing OHL hockey this year but probably still too green for the show. How is it helping him to beat up on opposition he is so far above right now rather than learning the tools of the trade in the AHL? And say he's still not considered good enough for the NHL next year (he will be, but for example's sake), then what? ANOTHER year of beating up on OHLers? How does that help him, and how does that help younger OHLers?
I agree with you, but I think some type of compromise is going to be the only way out of it. The C is never going to agree to give up all claim to those players. This wouldn't be a perfect solution, but some form of compromise would be better for all parties than the status quo.