• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Elliotte Friedman 31 thoughts

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13. One coach has a theory on the Ducks. They knew they were going to be judged solely on playoff performance, and thought they were good enough to coast and get there. “The problem,” that coach said, “is if you’re not physically or emotionally consistent, you’re going to get beat. And, if you’re behind mentally or in the standings, it's hard to catch-up.”

14. Roberto Luongo said that was the lesson Florida learned in 2014-15. The youthful Panthers made a late run, but fell seven points shy of the playoffs. “We were all disappointed,” he said Monday. “We let some opportunities slip away. We took it for granted. A younger team, they don't know how it is. Now they are realizing how it is…understand the value of points in the bank.”

30 Thoughts: Can Predators win without bold move? - Sportsnet.ca

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3. There were some rumours Columbus was going to deal Johansen before the trade moratorium kicked in, but that died down when he was in the lineup Saturday night against Philadelphia. One thing Johansen must realize: the microscope is on him. Everything he does is scrutinized. He gave a stick to a fan in Pittsburgh sitting behind glass that popped out during Monday’s loss to the Penguins, a nice gesture. But, there were reports he ignored John Tortorella during a timeout and there was a weird-looking moment where it appeared he did not celebrate a goal with his teammates during the Flyers game. Every move will be watched. Just play.

I am starting to feel sick.

4. One of the most-asked questions about Johansen is if this is just another example of Tortorella’s tough love, which dates back to Vincent Lecavalier. The difference between that situation and this one is, back then, Jay Feaster came out and said the two were stuck with each other. No one was getting fired and no one was getting traded. Here, the Blue Jackets are being very honest in saying anyone could be moved after the tire-fire start the season. Johansen is scheduled to be unrestricted in July 2018. The closer you get to that date, the more the leverage slides to the player. You also risk a circus.

Now really sick. I need to march downtown and tell that bald Finnish fuck that JAY FEASTER handled shit better.

I hear a lot of Jackets fans constantly point at both the Tampa cup and Vinny the Cavalier's eventual success as reasons why we should trust Torts *proven winner (tm).

1) That team had Dave Andreychuk as captain. I love Nicky, but he is no Dave Andreychuk. Dave Andreychuk is a pro. Always has been. And he could fix a lot of locker room problems and shield a lot of guys from a crazy coach. That team got on his back and rode it all the way to the promised land. It wasn't all him, but he is a major reason why that team succeeded. The right guy in the right place to lead through the muck and the grind.

See also: Rod Brind'amour, Carolina.

2) I really wish someone would ask Vinny if he would play for Torts again. I'd bet my last dollar that if he got traded to Columbus tomorrow, he'd retire rather than report.

Borderline guys and bottom six guys loved playing for Torts, no doubt. But where he has consistently failed miserably is his inability to reach, use and manage star talent. Vinny. Richards. St Louis. Sedins. Now Joey and Saad.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Borderline guys and bottom six guys loved playing for Torts, no doubt. But where he has consistently failed miserably is his inability to reach, use and manage star talent. Vinny. Richards. St Louis. Sedins. Now Joey and Saad.
Should be pointed out that Richards willingly signed for the Torts-led Rangers (and according to a certain bloated orangutan, there was never any doubt that he was headed to NYR).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13. One coach has a theory on the Ducks. They knew they were going to be judged solely on playoff performance, and thought they were good enough to coast and get there. “The problem,” that coach said, “is if you’re not physically or emotionally consistent, you’re going to get beat. And, if you’re behind mentally or in the standings, it's hard to catch-up.”

30 Thoughts: Can Predators win without bold move? - Sportsnet.ca
Worth looking at Anaheim's roster turnover in the summer - Palmieri, Etem, Beauchemin and Beleskey all played big roles with the team and the guys they brought in to fill the void are all dime-a-dozen players.

But hey, at least Kesler's signed long-term!

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be pointed out that Richards willingly signed for the Torts-led Rangers (and according to a certain bloated orangutan, there was never any doubt that he was headed to NYR).

True. But then Torts turned the screws on him pretty bad. Didn't he get benched in the playoffs by his old "buddy"?

Torts probably figured he could do whatever he wanted because Richards "Chose it". Then, he un-chose it. Rumor is that the two don't even speak to each other anymore.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. But then Torts turned the screws on him pretty bad. Didn't he get benched in the playoffs by his old "buddy"?

Torts probably figured he could do whatever he wanted because Richards "Chose it". Then, he un-chose it. Rumor is that the two don't even speak to each other anymore.
Yeah, by the end it was definitely an ice-cold relationship, but I'm just wondering if Torts was maybe different behind the scenes back in the day compared to after he took over NYR.

But probably not, Richards likely just forgot about that and really wanted to live in NYC.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, by the end it was definitely an ice-cold relationship, but I'm just wondering if Torts was maybe different behind the scenes back in the day compared to after he took over NYR.

But probably not, Richards likely just forgot about that and really wanted to live in NYC.

There's probably a certain degree of "Well, I did win a cup with that guy" with it as well. You feel like you can put up with a lot for a chance to win it all (again).

There isn't an overwhelming mountain of evidence to suggest that Torts is capable of changing his ways.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's probably a certain degree of "Well, I did win a cup with that guy" with it as well. You feel like you can put up with a lot for a chance to win it all (again).

There isn't an overwhelming mountain of evidence to suggest that Torts is capable of changing his ways.

It's also possible that since he was signing a 9 year deal and Torts had already been there for 2 and a half years he figured that he'd be in NYC long after Torts was gone anyway.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is crazy:
18. Everybody’s got their favourite Alex Ovechkin stats. Here’s the wildest one, to me: There is only one player from his draft year within 300 goals of his 501. That’s Evgeni Malkin (287). The next closest is Andrew Ladd, with 195.

The second-place guy from his draft year is 306 scores away!

30 Thoughts: Ducks a logical fit for Lightning's Drouin - Sportsnet.ca

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of a conversation about the Ryan Johansen trade, I had a different question for Columbus GM Jarmo Kekalainen

If you had to chose between Patrik Laine and Jesse Puljujarvi in the 2016 Draft, who would you take? Pause. “I’m not telling you that,” he said with a laugh. Okay, let me try this: could either go number one instead of Auston Matthews? “I’m not telling you that, either.”

That moment when you realize rock bottom might not be here yet.

8. After the announcement, Poile said, “We’ve been waiting 18 years for a number one centre.”

So were the Jackets.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to think the last time the Flames had a true No 1. centre - I think you have to go all the way back to Joe Nieuwendyk and of course they traded him to Dallas for Jarome Iginla. That trade worked out great for both teams, but it certainly highlights how difficult it is to find those number 1 centres.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 Thoughts: Reeling Canadiens move on from embarrassing loss - Sportsnet.ca

7. Quote of the Week: “If Toronto acquires a right-hand shot defenceman who can make a good pass on the power play, go nuts,” one coach said. Wonder what he’s referring to?

Can someone please decipher this for me lol

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4. Funny how two weeks changes things. Fourteen days ago, Jordan Eberle was part of the acquisition conversation. Not now. The Oilers pulled him off the market, as he developed into a dangerous finisher alongside Connor McDavid. As one coach said, “When you find two players who work well together, you keep them together.” Edmonton wants to see how this progresses.

lol - A couple of good games with McDavid is enough for Chia to pull Eberle off the trade market. And here I was worried that the Oilers might make a bold move to actually improve.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only 4 players I'd want to keep are McDavid, Hall, Drasaitl and Klefbom

/(and Matthews)

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4. Funny how two weeks changes things. Fourteen days ago, Jordan Eberle was part of the acquisition conversation. Not now. The Oilers pulled him off the market, as he developed into a dangerous finisher alongside Connor McDavid. As one coach said, “When you find two players who work well together, you keep them together.” Edmonton wants to see how this progresses.

lol - A couple of good games with McDavid is enough for Chia to pull Eberle off the trade market. And here I was worried that the Oilers might make a bold move to actually improve.
THAT WASN'T AN ANSWER, DASH! STAY ON SUBJECT :mad2:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 Thoughts: Reeling Canadiens move on from embarrassing loss - Sportsnet.ca

7. Quote of the Week: “If Toronto acquires a right-hand shot defenceman who can make a good pass on the power play, go nuts,” one coach said. Wonder what he’s referring to?

Can someone please decipher this for me lol

Would you settle for a left shot defenseman who is often the reason for opponent power plays?

Or you put them on different lines and eventually trade one. Whatever.

28. The NHL and NBA are such different leagues, racially and philosophically, it’s almost ridiculous to compare them. But, if there was one thing I’d like the hockey players to take from their basketball counterparts, it’s the love for All-Star Weekend. They want to be there. Commissioner Gary Bettman, asked in Nashville about increased punishment for skipping the festivities, dodged that and said even if NHLers don’t play, he’d want them to simply come and be part of the weekend. The basketballers do a tremendous job of that. In the past, hockey players complained things were too regimented, wanting more down time to be themselves. The league moved to address that. For the first time in a long time, the NHL All-Star Game itself was better than the NBA’s. To fully grow the event, everyone must want to be there.

I have an alibi. I didn't write that.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the first time in a long time, the NHL All-Star Game itself was better than the NBA’s. To fully grow the event, everyone must want to be there.
Yeah but did he see that fucking dunk contest?! Kinda beats the snot out of watching YOUNG CROSBY skate fast.