• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eli Manning, the HOF, and my long standing Jim Plunkett comparisom

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tebow started one, non-full season in the NFL and made the playoffs. Eli has played 14 NFL seasons and has made the playoffs merely 6 times.

Tebow > Eli

The best way to sum up Tebow's NFL career.

imagessfdsf.jpg

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it wasn't.. not for a starting QB that planned on keeping his job.

I said it was the average....and it was. The league average of about 52%.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still wonder why Joe Namath is in. 1 super bowl win, 173 td's to 220 ints.

He threw for more yards the first 5 years of his career than anyone until Marino came along. That 1. 4 pro bowls and a 1st team all-pro selection his first 5 seasons is another. The SB put him in, though.. no doubt.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it was the average....and it was. The league average of about 52%.

Which Plunkett never reached until 1982, when that average was considerably higher.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was still below average in "It was the 70s !" compared to his peers by virtually every statistical measure. I'm not sure where you got that 51% completion rate for Anderson in 74. He led the league with a 65% completion rate in 74. 50% completion rate was considered dogshit even in the 70s, which is what Plunkett averaged back then.
FYI

in 1976, of all 14 AFC teams...7 guys who started at least 8 games had sub 50% comp rates.

grogan - pats
namath - jets
todd - jets
marangi - bills
ferguson - bills
bradshaw - steelers
ramsey - denver

steve spurrier had a 50.2 comp%

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, in 76, 14 game schedule, i was generous with at least 8 starts (a lot of teams split QB play)

4 guys were sub 50% in the NFC

avellini - chicago
dickey - GB
the entire falcons QB grouping
jim zorn.

thats 9 teams, 11 guys, from 1976, below 50%, or roughly 32% of the league.

in closing, thats a LOT of "dogshit" in the league in 76 i assume.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which Plunkett never reached until 1982, when that average was considerably higher.

So what? Both Manning and Plunkett were below the league averages, but at least with Plunkett especially with the Raiders, he was in a deep passing attack which can also hurt comp. %'s. He also played in an era which was far more physical on the QB.

The overall point still stands....the comparison between the two is very valid.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what? Both Manning and Plunkett were below the league averages, but at least with Plunkett especially with the Raiders, he was in a deep passing attack which can also hurt comp. %'s. He also played in an era which was far more physical on the QB.

The overall point still stands....the comparison between the two is very valid.
thank you. you must know football.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shit, terry "reads good" bradshaw had 4 seasons under 50% before 1978

11-3 as a starter one year, 47%

the 73 steelers were dogshit

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He threw for more yards the first 5 years of his career than anyone until Marino came along. That 1. 4 pro bowls and a 1st team all-pro selection his first 5 seasons is another. The SB put him in, though.. no doubt.
also the first to 4k yards

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in 76 he was 51.85185

thats a whopping .14815 off 52%

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI

in 1976, of all 14 AFC teams...7 guys who started at least 8 games had sub 50% comp rates.

grogan - pats
namath - jets
todd - jets
marangi - bills
ferguson - bills
bradshaw - steelers
ramsey - denver

steve spurrier had a 50.2 comp%

You found 1 example of 1 year when 7 guys apparently also had a shitty completion %, including 2 guys I've never even heard of.. and I followed the game back then. Congrats. Plunkett's was sub-50% for the entire decade. He's fortunate he even got another shot after he was released in 78.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shit, terry "reads good" bradshaw had 4 seasons under 50% before 1978

11-3 as a starter one year, 47%

the 73 steelers were dogshit

Yeah but in '83 he completed 62.5% of his passes.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You found 1 example of 1 year when 7 guys apparently also had a shitty completion %, including 2 guys I've never even heard of.. and I followed the game back then. Congrats. Plunkett's was sub-50% for the entire decade. He's fortunate he even got another shot after he was released in 78.
it was the first year i looked at.

metrics are metrics. 32% of the league was "garbage" according to you in 1976.

you should see what the true average was for 76. you may feel shame.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but in '83 he completed 62.5% of his passes.
absolutely. what some here are forgetting are the rule changes in 78 (went alogng with the 16 game change), to favor offenses:

The league passed major rule changes to encourage offensive scoring. In 1977 – the last year of the so-called "Dead Ball Era" – teams scored an average of 17.2 points per game, the lowest total since 1942.

• To open up the passing game, defenders are permitted to make contact with receivers only to a point of five yards beyond the line of scrimmage. This applies only to the time before the ball is thrown, at which point any contact is pass interference. Previously, contact was allowed anywhere on the field. This is usually referred to as the "Mel Blount Rule"
  • The offensive team may only make one forward pass during a play from scrimmage, but only if the ball does not cross the line and return behind the line prior to the pass.
  • Double touching of a forward pass is legal, but batting a pass towards the opponent's end zone is illegal. Previously, a second offensive player could not legally catch a deflected pass unless a defensive player had touched it. This is usually referred to as the "Mel Renfro Rule". During a play in Super Bowl V, Baltimore Colts receiver Eddie Hinton tipped a pass intended for him. Renfro, the Cowboys defensive back, made a stab at the ball and it was ruled that he tipped it ever so slightly (which he denied) into the arms of Colts tight end John Mackey, who ran for a touchdown. Later, this rule was also the one in question during the Immaculate Reception in 1972. But despite these two incidents, the rule change did not occur until this season.
  • The pass blocking rules were extended to permit extended arms and open hands.
  • The penalty for intentional grounding is reduced from a loss of down and 15 yards to a loss of down and 10 yards from the previous spot (or at the spot of the foul if the spot is 10 yards or more behind the line of scrimmage). If the passer commits the foul in his own end zone, the defense scores a safety.
  • Hurdling is no longer a foul.
  • A seventh official, the Side Judge, is added to the officiating crew to help rule on legalities downfield. The addition of 15 officials (one per crew) forced three-digit numbers to be used for the first time.
  • All stadiums must have arrows by the numeric yard markers indicating the closer goal line.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
absolutely. what some here are forgetting are the rule changes in 78, to favor offenses:

The league passed major rule changes to encourage offensive scoring. In 1977 – the last year of the so-called "Dead Ball Era" – teams scored an average of 17.2 points per game, the lowest total since 1942.

• To open up the passing game, defenders are permitted to make contact with receivers only to a point of five yards beyond the line of scrimmage. This applies only to the time before the ball is thrown, at which point any contact is pass interference. Previously, contact was allowed anywhere on the field. This is usually referred to as the "Mel Blount Rule"
  • The offensive team may only make one forward pass during a play from scrimmage, but only if the ball does not cross the line and return behind the line prior to the pass.
  • Double touching of a forward pass is legal, but batting a pass towards the opponent's end zone is illegal. Previously, a second offensive player could not legally catch a deflected pass unless a defensive player had touched it. This is usually referred to as the "Mel Renfro Rule". During a play in Super Bowl V, Baltimore Colts receiver Eddie Hinton tipped a pass intended for him. Renfro, the Cowboys defensive back, made a stab at the ball and it was ruled that he tipped it ever so slightly (which he denied) into the arms of Colts tight end John Mackey, who ran for a touchdown. Later, this rule was also the one in question during the Immaculate Reception in 1972. But despite these two incidents, the rule change did not occur until this season.
  • The pass blocking rules were extended to permit extended arms and open hands.
  • The penalty for intentional grounding is reduced from a loss of down and 15 yards to a loss of down and 10 yards from the previous spot (or at the spot of the foul if the spot is 10 yards or more behind the line of scrimmage). If the passer commits the foul in his own end zone, the defense scores a safety.
  • Hurdling is no longer a foul.
  • A seventh official, the Side Judge, is added to the officiating crew to help rule on legalities downfield. The addition of 15 officials (one per crew) forced three-digit numbers to be used for the first time.
  • All stadiums must have arrows by the numeric yard markers indicating the closer goal line.

Hey rock I'll be honest w/ you. I don't got time to read all that stuff because it doesn't involve Tommy Boy. And I need something to drink.

But in '83 Bradshaw went 1-0 & attempted 8 passes in a game.

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the stuff that gets @mrschaney laughed at, FTR.
Ok, Tebow STARTED a playoff game.................big whoop.
Dalton has Started like 4. Big deal, Tebow happened to win one. The next week, he lost something like 45-10 to the Pats.