• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: ECF: Boston Celtics vs Cleveland Cavs

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt that it's defense that has gotten the Celtics this far.

As you know, in basketball, sometimes you can play great defense, but the offense scores anyway. Especially when you have a guy like Lebron.

There were a lot of Lebrons shots over the last couple of games (especially last night) where the defender was in exactly the right position, but Lebron hit the shot anyway.

When that's happening, a team needs to have a guy who can answer on the other end. The Celtics don't have that guy right now.

Oh no doubt.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that the Celtics would be better off without Kyrie. But Stevens has this team playing at about as high a level as they can play with Kyrie and Hayward. I'm not sure if having those stars would make this team PLAY demonstrably better than it has been in the playoffs.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Mr. Flat Earth lacks on the defensive end he makes up for on the offensive end. Hope he'll be 100% for next year. I don't like the guy, but if he can help the Celtics get the ultimate prize I'll tolerate him.

The Celtics definitely will be better off with a healthy Kyrie than not having him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
though -after watching Kyrie's defense the last few years it would be nice to be on the other side of that for once..lol.

True. lol Although, to be fair, Kyrie was at least playing solid team defense before he went down for the year. But yeah, he ain't winning any DPOY awards anytime soon.

those 3s and those insane layups though - i mean- if you need a bucket not too many guys id rather have with the ball than Cryrie.

That experience he got during his playoff runs with the Cavs would be huge for the Celtics right now.

Plus, how much fun would it have been watching him and Lebron playing a little "can you top this"? lol

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think where it especially hurts them is the bench....their rotation is shorter and not using as great of bench guys...

moving guys like Morris and Rozier to the bench make them so much deeper and more dangeorus

Kyrie's scoring is hugely needed by Boston in the 4th qtr as well. Hayward would really help on LeBron too- making him work defensively and defending him.

The Cavs, assuming/hoping LeBron stays will have to make some moves this offseason to catch up......but, a full year of integrating Nance and Clarkson and Hill will also do wonders.

I could see a big trade happening if Lebron stays, of course it would have to happen before he signs

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Celtics definitely will be better off with a healthy Kyrie than not having him.
i canat believe anyone would even question that

Kyrie is EASILY a top 15 player in the NBA- right on the cusp of the top 10 if you ask me.

I dont know if there is anyone more clutch, or anyone id rather have down 1 with the ball in their hands with 7 seconds left---- he ahs no weaknesses offensively- he can do everything and he is practically impossible to guard.

in the playoffs when it becomes a half court game ultra talented offensive players become so much more valuable - and Kyrie is one of the very very best.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very true

though -after watching Kyrie's defense the last few years it would be nice to be on the other side of that for once..lol......those 3s and those insane layups though - i mean- if you need a bucket not too many guys id rather have with the ball than Cryrie.

Now you're calling Mr. Flat Earth Cryrie? :pound: Oh how the times have changed. It wasn't long ago you were explaining in detail why he was 1 of the top PG's in the league.

#dangilbertin2020

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't speak for @tlance but, IMO, the Celtics are a better team with Kyrie and Hayward BUT that doesn't mean that they would be playing BETTER than they have over the past 2-3 weeks. Maybe a little but they were getting max effort/output from guys like Rozier and Smart and Brown and Tatum. Irving is definitely a better player than Rozier or Smart but he is no where near the defensive player that Smart is. And would Irving be demonstrably better at shooting than Rozier has been?

I've seen this sort of thing before. Lose your star player and still play and fans then expect the team to elevate once they return only to be disappointed that the team regressed. Bill Simmons has had a theory about this for a long time..

Sports Guy: Ewing Theory 101 - ESPN Page 2

...And right on cue, you come to save your buddy, I'm starting to wonder about you two...

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

giphy.gif

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no doubt.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that the Celtics would be better off without Kyrie. But Stevens has this team playing at about as high a level as they can play with Kyrie and Hayward. I'm not sure if having those stars would make this team PLAY demonstrably better than it has been in the playoffs.

Oh, I agree with that. But there have been key moments the last couple of games where having at least Kyrie may have helped change the outcome.

But overall, it's hard to see the Celtics playing a whole lot better than they have. Stevens is really getting everything out of them.

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoo. The grown ups are trying to have an actual basketball conversation.

Yeah that was some real grown up basketball talk right there.....very impressive analysis.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But overall, it's hard to see the Celtics playing a whole lot better than they have.

I know how the Celtics could play better. If next year their starting line up was Kyrie, Klay, LeBron, Joel Embiid & the Unibrow. :heh:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I agree with that. But there have been key moments the last couple of games where having at least Kyrie may have helped change the outcome.

But overall, it's hard to see the Celtics playing a whole lot better than they have. Stevens is really getting everything out of them.

Exactly. I think it is possible that if they had a healthy Kyrie and Hayward they might be a little better but it is also possible that they would be playing a little worse right now.

Kyrie, in particular, is an interesting option. The Celtics have succeeded, particularly in the playoffs, by playing quintessential team ball. How would Kyrie's play impact the overall flow of the team and their ball movement? Not really sure.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know how the Celtics could play better. If next year their starting line up was Kyrie, Klay, LeBron, Joel Embiid & the Unibrow. :heh:

I'd swap out Klay with Swaggy P. Celtics would be the first 82-0 team.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They will challenge the W’s the next couple years if guys can stay healthy and if Lebron doesn’t get more help on this Cavs team and he stays.

Kyrie
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Horford

And the killer bench:
Rozier
Larkin
Smart
Morris
Theis
Baynes

Not the star power the W’a have but with experience that is a contender to challenge them

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah that was some real grown up basketball talk right there.....very impressive analysis.

You really have stepped up to be one of the better trolls here in a very short period of time. Good work.

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I think it is possible that if they had a healthy Kyrie and Hayward they might be a little better but it is also possible that they would be playing a little worse right now.

Kyrie, in particular, is an interesting option. The Celtics have succeeded, particularly in the playoffs, by playing quintessential team ball. How would Kyrie's play impact the overall flow of the team and their ball movement? Not really sure.

giphy.gif

So they might be better but they also might be worse? LOL

Wow, that is some impressive stuff man

Stop being so wishy-washy