• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Eastern Conference Finals: Miami Heat VS Indiana Pacers

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Paul George is saying he blacked out, that is a sign of a concussion. His training staff should not have cleared him to play. Are there any reprecussions for teams that dont follow the NBAs rules on concussions? Not saying I want a player to be suspended, just curious if the NBA takes action against a team for that. The Pacers did it the last time the Heat met them in the regular season with Hibbert when Lebron got him across the chin.

That was an interesting admission by George. Even though he still played, I'd think he'd have to go through the NBAs concussion procedures before being cleared for game 3. I'm not sure what action the NBA could take if he never made his training staff aware of the black out and blurred vision.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the policy, it seems IND doctors do not follow protocol. Hibbert was knocked out and couldn't stand and he came back in. George I do not even think was tested. I kind of have to assume Hibbert wasn't tested either or the staff passed him incorrectly.

I find it terrifically difficult to believe that any trained doctor could see what happened to Hibbert and say "nope, not a concussion" with out lying.

Outlining the NBA’s concussion policy - Los Angeles Lakers Blog - ESPN Los Angeles

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 1:20 Hibbert tries to get up then goes back down, gracefully ish, but still very concussion looking, like a Boxer taking a standing 8 count...on his back.

Last edited by a moderator:

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is a perfect indicator of why steals and blocks are NOT, NOT, NOT a good indication of defensive performance. Looking at the box score you'd think lebron played a masterful defensive game. When in reality he made some good plays, but a lot of lazy ones as well.

I don't think there will ever be a way to quantify defensive performance

I think blocks, steals, and defensive rebounds are oneindicator and shouldn't be altogether dismissed. Those events end the opponents possession without them scoring and are all very important in terms of defense.

Of course, a player can tally several of those while also having other bad defensive moments where they allow the opponent to score easily. So, to your point, the presence of those stats doesn't promise a consistent defensive performance.

The closest thing to measuring consistent defense is defensive win shares. This stat is only reliable over a long stretch of games, as it tracks the opponents ability to score when that player is on the floor. The shortcoming of the stat is that it doesn't measure individual defensive performance as much as it does team defensive performance. The players that lead this stat tend to play on very good defenses... for example this year 4 Indiana players came in the top 10.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think in this series and if they get to the Finals, the Heat are really missing Mike Miller. He can defend the 3 position, grab rebounds, and when on is one of the best shooters in league if not the best.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting. How can they talk about "manifestations of the injury not always" presenting immediately, when George said he blacked out immediately? The issue isn't about manifestations presenting themselves, its about whether the player hides the manifestations from the staff.

Why would George keep that information to himself and then freely offer it to the reporters after the game?

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If George is done, so will be the Pacers. No way they can win 3 more without him. Better hope this concussion goes away in the next 24-48 hours. 3 Days of rest should help.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If George can't go that means minutes open up for James Jones, which should help the heat with floor spacing. (something they've struggled with through the first two games)

Really lucky for Indiana the schedule worked like this. If it had been every other day through the first four (like last round) he would be in jeopardy of missing two games by the time one is played on saturday.

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indiana is lucky that there is such a big gap between games. If they played tomorrow, George would be out. As much as i want the Heat to win, I want them to win by beating a team with its best player on the court. I dont want to hear excuses from fans saying we only one cause he was injured.

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way, Im sure Hibberts wife will comfort George and make sure he is okay to play next game.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. How can they talk about "manifestations of the injury not always" presenting immediately, when George said he blacked out immediately? The issue isn't about manifestations presenting themselves, its about whether the player hides the manifestations from the staff.

Why would George keep that information to himself and then freely offer it to the reporters after the game?

He would do it to stay in the game. He knows if he reports it to the training staff, they will take him out of the game. This way, he got to stay in the game and now has until Saturday to be cleared.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would do it to stay in the game. He knows if he reports it to the training staff, they will take him out of the game. This way, he got to stay in the game and now has until Saturday to be cleared.

I think he was talking about how the signs showed up over night and not immediately after the game, after the press conference but rather not until the next day.

2 things, I am sure it is possible for concussions to manifest them selves later on. The brain is tricky and just one theory I have would be delayed swelling of the brain.

2nd, this could just be doctors covering their ass and simply diagnosing a concussion because George said he blacked out.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was talking about how the signs showed up over night and not immediately after the game, after the press conference but rather not until the next day.

2 things, I am sure it is possible for concussions to manifest them selves later on. The brain is tricky and just one theory I have would be delayed swelling of the brain.

2nd, this could just be doctors covering their ass and simply diagnosing a concussion because George said he blacked out.

Thing is, players lie about injuries and their severity all of the time, including concussions in order to stay in the game.

He said that he blacked out when D-Wades knee hit his head. He could easily have told trainers that he was fine and not told them he blacked out just to stay in the game.

The symptoms can manifest later (or at least worsen). I've had a few myself and they were all different to one degree or another.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just seems weird to me that he would be smart enough to purposefully not say anything to the trainers... then dumb enough to say something to the reporters.

The fact that he told the reporters that he blacked out makes me think he hadn't yet made the connection to a potential concussion.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he told the media because he was just trying to make excuses for his shitty play in the 4th......But stupid decision

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are some things you cant hide with a concussion. a simple memory test. a quick flashlight to the pupils. delayed response to questions. I would hate to throw the trainers of indy under the bus, because I literally know nothing. I honestly hope they missed this (which is really bad.. he blacked out.. symptoms would have been there) and didn't just send the kid back into the game. maybe they didn't get a good look at him as there was an NBA playoff game going.

all bullshitting aside, I hope the young man is fine and over it by Saturday. I want the Heat to win, but fans who root for bad injuries or take pleasure in them are horrible people. A tweak ankle is one thing.. blacking out on an NBA court is serious.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah i was disappointed when I got home and saw he had a concussion. Hopefully he'll be cleared to pla on saturday

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
blacking out on an NBA court is serious.

Absolutely.

Anyone else hear SVP's weird comment on SC about hockey in reference to Paul George saying he blacked out? He said something like "I wonder what the hockey crowd would think of blacking out from a knee to the head", seemingly scoffing at the idea that a knee to the head could be serious. I know there's a running gag about how the NHL is so much tougher than the NBA, but that comment seemed so out of line.

After all, these NBA players aren't in pads or helmets.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely.

Anyone else hear SVP's weird comment on SC about hockey in reference to Paul George saying he blacked out? He said something like "I wonder what the hockey crowd would think of blacking out from a knee to the head", seemingly scoffing at the idea that a knee to the head could be serious. I know there's a running gag about how the NHL is so much tougher than the NBA, but that comment seemed so out of line.

After all, these NBA players aren't in pads or helmets.

I work with a huge NHL fan. Good guy. But we get into this all the time. Im not a hockey fan, I find it boring. I grew up in south florida... never played it, don't have a love for it. I would love to see a NHL VS NBA ultimate fight competition and just end this stupidity.

Give me Ron Artest and David West.. NHL you pick your two guys.