• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Eastern Conference Final - Sens vs Pens

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to watch it again but do you really think that Kessel "dived"? It looked to me like a case where the guy went down because he was just moving fast and wasn't expecting it. And it's not like interference is canceled if the guy doesn't go down anyway and Phaneuf did nothing illegal.

It was, in the regular season, interference. But it had not been called that way the whole playoffs. At the very least, it could have been an even up leading to 4 on 4, but no way a ref is calling embellishment on a home star in a game 7.

It would have been better off not called at all. The announcers said "the refs are letting the players play". No, not really. Not in that instance.

Lol, there's no way Columbus fans will ever let that go. I honestly think that after Werenski's injury, and with possible concussion lawsuits incoming, the NHL probably told refs to call injury stoppages more often, in cases of pucks to the head. They should have just announced that, but it would have meant admitting a refereeing mistake, the ultimate NHL no-no....

Kessel might have gone down easily - he does his best to avoid contact all the time anyway, so maybe he just jumped - but what was Phaneuf thinking? After 2 power plays for the Sens and none for PGH, everyone knows what's coming, and he must have remembered the soft Hainsey interference call. Just a real unnecessary play by him. I'd be pissed if Dumoulin or whoever had done the same thing in a reversed context.

First of all, no. I will not let it go. But you are right. As nasty as Werenski's injury turned out plus the coming concussion mess coming surely made the league change the way they call it.

My thought is it would have been nice to, you know, not wait til someone almost loses an eye before doing the right thing.

And Phanuef was likely thinking "I'll slow him down and it's never been called yet for anyone so why not?"

Then the Philsbury dough boy jumped to avoid him and caught his own feet on the boards.

No Kesler or Burrows engraved on the Cup and that's fine by me.

Nor Boll or Brassard. Silver lining.

Kessel absolutely dove. But that's not the whole story. The Penguins make that interference play on

EVERY

SINGLE

SENS

DUMP-IN.

To call it at that stage can only be because Kessel flopped or it's just a massive inconsistency.

Not really a good reason but Phaneuf was probably taking note all series when the Pens ran interference on every Sens dump-in. Often making forecheckers run a 2 man gauntlet. The Hainsey and Phaneuf calls were both bizarre to say the least. I said so about the Hainsey call at the time too.

Given the time left in the game and refs generally putting their whistle away in the third period, I can only assume they made that call because Kessel dove. Disgraceful, but at least the Sens dug out of that hole and it was decided by the teams in OT, not by the refs.

Not just the Pens doing it, though. It wasn't called for ANYONE. It was the Ducks bread and butter.

And as you say, at least it was in the player's hands in OT, and the Sens didn't get it done. Probably shouldn't have gotten there, though...

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not buying it. You all still hate us. :suds:

Naw. I hate your team. But I mean what's not to hate?

Diving. Kessel and Bonino and so much more. Check.

Getting away with murder? Geno's got that covered in spades. Crosby doesn't even half sever digits with this guy around. He still will but that's just what championship depth is all about. Big check here.

Tanking AND winning a random lottery? Nobody does it like Pittsburgh. Check.

Track record of injury other teams star players? Letang, Cooke, Ulf Samuelsson. Come on!! So much history there. YUUUGE check for this category.

It's just a such a rich fabric of hockey culture with the Pens. A fabric that has a massive shit stain on it.

:suds::trash:

But you fans on here are generally reasonable and thoughtful. So no, I don't hate ya.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Diving. Kessel and Bonino can so much more. Check.

Getting away with murder? Geno's got that covered in spades. Crosby doesn't even half sever digits with this guy around. He still will but that's just what championship depth is all about. Big check here.

Track record of injury other teams star players? Letang, Cooke, Ulf Samuelsson. Come on!! So much history there.

It's just a such a rich fabric of hockey culture with the Pens. A fabric that has a massive shit stain on it.

But you fans on here are generally reasonable and thoughtful. So no, I don't hate ya.

You forgot: Fanbase puts french fries on sandwiches - check.

Also: Fanbase boos every icing call - check

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot: Fanbase puts french fries on sandwiches - check.

Also: Fanbase boos every icing call - check

Refs interrupt opposing team's scoring chance when Penguin maybe has a bobo, yet allows Pens to score while opposing player is bleeding out - Check!!!

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refs interrupt opposing team's scoring chance when Penguin maybe has a bobo, yet allows Pens to score while opposing player is bleeding out - Check!!!

hqdefault.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No loss on my part. Fuck the primadonnas and their owners. They should just contract the league to the dozen or so major markets and let them all go circle-jerk.
I mean, the last 4 World Series has had a small market team in it. Even the Yankees stopped spending like crazy and tried a rebuild.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
possession in the offensive zone is not a scoring chance

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....

I started doing something else at about 9:00 last night...

What did I miss?

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Diving. Kessel and Bonino and so much more. Check.

Track record of injury other teams star players? Letang, Cooke, Ulf Samuelsson. Come on!! So much history there. YUUUGE check for this category.

Your salty tears make last night even better

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
possession in the offensive zone is not a scoring chance

Welcome to the NHL. When a player is skating into the slot with no opposing player within 15 feet of him, that's a scoring chance in hockey parlance. Or it would have been...

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your salty tears make last night even better

Trust me when I say that my hatred for the Penguins has just about nothing to do with last night.

Last night was a great game that the Penguins won. That's it.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to the NHL. When a player is skating into the slot with no opposing player within 15 feet of him, that's a scoring chance in hockey parlance. Or it would have been...

hypothesize all u want

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hypothesize all u want

You really think that an Ottawa player skating into the slot, with the puck and no Penguin anywhere near him isn't a scoring chance? I know it was Zack "head up his ass" Smith, but even still that is a very good chance to score.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it could have been, it may not have been, could of been blocked, missed the net, fumbled the puck etc........fact is u dont know, and your assuming he gets a clean prime shot, on net,

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can all agree that this next round is going to have entirely too much yellow in the crowd(s).