• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your thoughts on the Pens so far

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things seem glum, we haven't made many splashes this offseason & we're pushing the cap to say the least. As of now, there's more talk about who we should get rid of than who we should get.

But I still remain optimistic...

For starters, I'm very happy to have Rob Scuderi back. Out of all the players we've lost since our Cup run, losing Scud was the worst. Not even Marc Staal had as much of an impact on this team like Scud. He was our anchor, our defensive leader, a physical presence with skill, a warrior, something we haven't had since Scud left. Just think about the times we got shelled against the Lightning or Flyers in the playoffs. How many of those goals would've been scored on us if Scud was there? I feel this adds a dimension to our team which has been much needed over the years. Now we could break out knowing we don't have to worry about Tang misplaying the puck or MAF being caught way out of position because Scud will be there to save the day.

Guys like Beau Bennett & Simon Despres should finally get a chance to shine. There's really no excuse to keep them off the roster this year. I fully expect BB to play with the GeNeal line, I fully expect Spres to take Nisky's place as well. I think it would have served us better if we had given these 2 more opportunities last season, especially after we clinched 1st place in the conference. At the same time, Disco was determined to play the vets & giving them a chance to shine could've caused the fans to declare mutiny on this game plan. Hopefully we'll have some cameo appearances from Brian Dumoulin & Philipe Samuelsson as well. I wouldn't mind it one bit if this were to be used as an experimental season to test out the prospect pool.

The Matt D'Agostini signing really intrigues me. We got him for $550,000 and you could see why if you look at his past 2 seasons. He's got 12 goals, 12 assists, for 24 points in 84 games, nothing special. But if you look at what he did in 2010-11, he had 21 goals, 25 assists for 46 points in 82 games. If he could replicate that, it could be the signing of the year. Also, he brings us something we were really lacking in the Bruins series which is speed. I'm not saying he's going to take this team to the next level, but he could potentially add a new dimension to this team which we're really in need of.

I'm not trying to hype us up as the favorites to win the Cup again because I don't expect significant changes to be made. At the same time, I see great potentially in filling voids & adding needs that have been really costly to us in recent years.

Anyways, those are my thoughts on the Pens so far, would like to hear your perspectives.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 impacts....

scuds and depres should some big toi......goaltending is issue. One thing I like is Pitt went and got another goaltending coach correct me if im wrong

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
scuds and depres should some big toi......goaltending is issue. One thing I like is Pitt went and got another goaltending coach correct me if im wrong

We didn't get a new goalie coach yet, but we're in the market. I think it was time for a change. If nothing changes nothing changes.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a WJC Camp article:

Olli Maatta, D, (Pittsburgh Penguins) -- Maatta was sick during the camp yet still managed to slot into the lineup for three games and played very well. In fact, he was tied for fourth in overall camp scoring. His hockey sense is off the charts, and it wouldn't be surprising if he isn't available for Finland at Christmas for NHL reasons.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What?

"Not even Marc Staal had as much of an impact on this team like Scud."

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my perspective...Learn to play lockdown defense. Stop worrying about the offense when you have the powers you have up front. Tell the D men that their responsibility is to control the defensive end first and move the puck to the forwards...don't worry about glory points...I'm lookin at you Letang.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a WJC Camp article:

Olli Maatta, D, (Pittsburgh Penguins) -- Maatta was sick during the camp yet still managed to slot into the lineup for three games and played very well. In fact, he was tied for fourth in overall camp scoring. His hockey sense is off the charts, and it wouldn't be surprising if he isn't available for Finland at Christmas for NHL reasons.

Would love to see Maatta & Pouliot make appearances this season, but at this point I would be happy to just see Despres become a mainstay on the roster LOL

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What?

"Not even Marc Staal had as much of an impact on this team like Scud."

Take a look at the post below,

Here is my perspective...Learn to play lockdown defense. Stop worrying about the offense when you have the powers you have up front. Tell the D men that their responsibility is to control the defensive end first and move the puck to the forwards...don't worry about glory points...I'm lookin at you Letang.

That's why Scud had a bigger impact than Staal IMO.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love to see Maatta & Pouliot make appearances this season, but at this point I would be happy to just see Despres become a mainstay on the roster LOL

Haha! The Pens have taken a good approach on D, stockpiling young (cheap) talent to go with a strong forward core. Now, if they could just develop a few forward prospects...

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha! The Pens have taken a good approach on D, stockpiling young (cheap) talent to go with a strong forward core. Now, if they could just develop a few forward prospects...

I like some of our forwards. Beau Bennett of course, really like Jayson Menga, Tom Kuhnhackle has a lot of potential, and a big fan of Paul Thompson. Also wouldn't mind seeing Riley Holzapfel make a few appearances. Doubt any of this happens tho, Penguins prefer old washed up vets who score 0 goals, 0 assists, for 0 points (e.g. Tanner Glass) LOL

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look at the post below,

That's why Scud had a bigger impact than Staal IMO.

I think I am misunderstanding...when did Marc Staal ever have an impact playing for the pens????

Perhaps you mean Jordan???:noidea:

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another forward prospect to keep an eye on is Anton Zlobin. He torched the QMJHL last season for 91 points, 29 goals in 61 games played. He was also only a sixth round pick, that's diamond in the ruff material. The Pens don't have a ton of big names among the forward prospects, but the cupboards are not bare, either.