• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Eastern Conference Final - Sens vs Pens

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I celebrated him getting hit. Not a concussion. He deserved to get hit. He put himself in that position by trying to cheat.

I'm sorry he got a concussion. That sucks. I've had them. It's awful.

But gimme a break that Ryan went in for a headshot. He went in to the corner and separated a player who was reaching for the puck from the puck.

SO piss off with your righteous crap and remember that the only reason that play played out the way it did is because Ruhwedel thought it was a good idea to try to fool the refs and pretend he was injured.

I'm genuinely sorry he got a concussion but he deserved to get hit for acting like an idiot. Hopefully he gets well soon.

Fine, you didn't know how serious it was. We all get amped up for the big hit, I get it. Still not sure how you're 100% sure he wasn't clipped, this is the only angle I saw on Twitter:

And anyone who knows anything about hockey knows there is nothing controversial about that hit. Ruhwedel touches the puck less than 0.3 seconds before he gets hit. Ryan has every right to hit him.

Is Ryan being aggressive? Maybe more than was called for? Perhaps. That's what happens when your captain and best player gets speared twice moments earlier with no call. And it results in a goal.

Well, like someone else pointed out, Cooke on Savard was deemed legal at the time too. I was a big fan of the classic Scott Stevens hits in the day, but have changed my tune. I would prefer if players focused more on using hits as a means to regaining possession than killing someone.

Anyway, I'm probably done for tonight on this. I won't cheer if Malkin knocks Karlsson out with a legal hit.

But Chris Neil, if he plays...

;)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine, you didn't know how serious it was. We all get amped up for the big hit, I get it. Still not sure how you're 100% sure he wasn't clipped, this is the only angle I saw on Twitter:

I'm pretty sure that's where the cut came from. If the stick hit him, it hit him on the center of the right side of his nose. I don't see Ryan's elbow pad causing that cut, so if it came from the hit, I'd have expected it on the left side of his nose from the dasher. But it's on the right side, and that's where the stick came up, which is why I'm about 85% sure he wasn't faking.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, like someone else pointed out, Cooke on Savard was deemed legal at the time too. I was a big fan of the classic Scott Stevens hits in the day, but have changed my tune. I would prefer if players focused more on using hits as a means to regaining possession than killing someone.

Anyway, I'm probably done for tonight on this. I won't cheer if Malkin knocks Karlsson out with a legal hit.

But Chris Neil, if he plays...

;)

That clip you posted doesn't look good for Ruhwedel. There is a substantial delay before he reacts. Maybe he got hit. Maybe he didn't. What Ryan did was 100% a hockey play involving possession of the puck though. It sucks that Rujdwedel got injured. Flat out.

Did you cheer that first goal? Because if so you;re cheering Kunitz spearing Karlsson. Now I won't cheer if Phaneuf knocks Crosby out with a legal hit but maybe Chris Kunitz.. if he decides to play hockey...:hockeysmile:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That clip you posted doesn't look good for Ruhwedel. There is a substantial delay before he reacts. Maybe he got hit. Maybe he didn't. What Ryan did was 100% a hockey play involving possession of the puck though. It sucks that Rujdwedel got injured. Flat out.

Did you cheer that first goal? Because if so you;re cheering Kunitz spearing Karlsson. Now I won't cheer if Phaneuf knocks Crosby out with a legal hit but maybe Chris Kunitz.. if he decides to play hockey...:hockeysmile:

The delay is a fraction of a second, which is roughly human reaction time. At most, a half a second, depending on how much the video is slowed down? It took exactly one second video time. That's probably no faster than half speed. That's a pretty standard reaction time for actually getting hit in the face with a stick.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For comparison:

The reaction times are nearly identical. In the slowed down replay, it's roughly 1 second video time for Sedin, just as it was for Ruhwedel (whose name I can now spell).

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure that's where the cut came from. If the stick hit him, it hit him on the center of the right side of his nose. I don't see Ryan's elbow pad causing that cut, so if it came from the hit, I'd have expected it on the left side of his nose from the dasher. But it's on the right side, and that's where the stick came up, which is why I'm about 85% sure he wasn't faking.

Unless blood flows against gravity it looks like the cut is on the left side of his nose. :noidea:

Wy4PcJl.jpg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still fairly certain the stick caught him, though. And in the nose, specifically.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tied up and heading to Pittl!

Good win Pens...keep it going

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it is. He probably got the cut from the boards, then. I thought it was on the other side.

Yeah. Who knows?

I wasn't cheering the guy's injury at any rate. The reffing to that point had been ridiculously one-sided and I was a little pissed off. I don't think Ryan did anything he shouldn't have.

it really sucks that Ruhwedel got seriously hurt. Bottom line.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Who knows?

I wasn't cheering the guy's injury at any rate. The reffing to that point had been ridiculously one-sided and I was a little pissed off. I don't think Ryan did anything he shouldn't have.

it really sucks that Ruhwedel got seriously hurt. Bottom line.

Ruhwedel nose.

Eh? Eh?

I'll show myself out.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shitty Pen-favouring reffing aside, this game was decided by Ottawa failing to score on the PP and falling asleep for the second period.

That and the Pens playing a Boooring 3rd period. I mean did they even forecheck 80% of the time? If they make the finals I'm gonna be worried about copycats.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohh and just to clarify, the reffing was horrendous. Kunitz turns his stick around spears Karlsson. He got away with it but who does that??

If that douchebaggery is called Pit doesn't score goal 1, The Pens in tough to win this game and Ruhwedel doesn't get hurt.

I wonder what @Dacks would have preferred?

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see any of the game tonight but the doughbaggery, asshatness and cheap shots were all Ryan Kesler's fault.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit...bitching by both sides about the reffing...enough already.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick comment about refs in general

Am I the only one who does not like the different standards for penalties in the playoffs? Look at the boxscore from last night. Half the damn penalties were for too many men. Are you kidding me?

The way the games are called changes the way the games are played. And for once I will agree with Pierre. When a player (this time it was OTT, but it happens all the time in the playoffs) can grab another player and punch him 9 times in the head after the whistle and not get a penalty, that is total garbage. I am sick of the scrums and punches and crap that never gets called in the playoffs.

There are way too many players getting hurt in the playoffs, way more than get hurt in the regular season. And I would include Kadri's low hit on Ovie in this category.

The chase for the Cup is becoming a war of attrition, and success is becoming more and more dependent on how many of the other team's players you can injure.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohh and just to clarify, the reffing was horrendous. Kunitz turns his stick around spears Karlsson. He got away with it but who does that??

If that douchebaggery is called Pit doesn't score goal 1, The Pens in tough to win this game and Ruhwedel doesn't get hurt.

I wonder what @Dacks would have preferred?

I listened on radio, so didn't see it, and didn't see anything on Twitter, but wouldn't be surprised, Kunitz is definitely a dirt bag. I don't like him either, but mostly because he sucks now and is a black hole on either 87/71 s wing.

But I still don't get what you're trying to say or prove? Do I wish that hockey was played cleaner, or called tighter? Yes. Does that mean that I'm going to root against my team every time they commit an uncalled penalty? No. Because every team gets away with a few.

Or do you believe the Sens don't? Seems that way. Are you one of those fans that is just bewildered every game that everything gets called against you and nothing against the other team? Did you think Alfie boarding Tucker right before scoring a late game tying goal was legit? Did you think Ryan elbowing whoever on Boston in overtime in round one, before drawing a lame retaliatory penalty, was legal as well?

I cheer for the Sens whenever they're not playing Pittsburgh, I see a ton of games, and while I'd say they generally fall in the cleaner half of the league, they still engage in the same shit, especially come playoff time.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3