• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Earl Thomas still a possibility.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just with all those safeties available, I was hoping we snatched up one of them. They don't seem to see the position as a weakness. I feared this flawed logic.
I agree we needed to address the safety position in FA, but not we with the deal ET got.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't on the ET the Dallas wagon, and had Dallas gave him that deal I'd have been pissed.
I wanted ET badly, but not at that price or really not even close to it. I'm glad we passed if matching that contract was needed to get him.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just with all those safeties available, I was hoping we snatched up one of them. They don't seem to see the position as a weakness. I feared this flawed logic.
Exactly. It didn't have to be Earl, but sign someone. Anyone. It's like this team and the idiot writers that follow it see a different Jeff Heath than...ANYONE else, anywhere. He just cannot be starting for an NFL team. It amazes me when I read some of the writers defend him. I think God these guys are idiots and Broaddus is the biggest offender...

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clinton Dix is only 26 and still available.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted ET badly, but not at that price or really not even close to it. I'm glad we passed if matching that contract was needed to get him.
Thomas is 30 and has suffered two broken legs. He is in the twilight of his career.

Teddyg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys have tons of cash. The cap is a non issue...unless you want it to be

No the colts have tons of cap space, look at the extensions needed between this offseason and next...we are better off paying our own then paying a 30 year old safety that type of deal....if he signed a 2 year $20 million then yes that’s different...

Reactions: GNG

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys have tons of cash. The cap is a non issue...unless you want it to be

No the colts have tons of cap space, look at the extensions needed between this offseason and next...we are better off paying our own then paying a 30 year old safety that type of deal....if he signed a 2 year $20 million then yes that’s different...
That is one of the problems with the Cowboys IMO. We always seem to overvalue our own. I'm not saying we should have zero loyalty or that we should have signed ET after seeing his contract but let's use him as an example. Heath has a $3M cap hit. Witten is getting somewhere between $2M and $5M (still unclear). We kept Hurns for like $6M. So, obviously those are one year deals and Earl would have taken at least 3, but who are we better off with Earl or those 3? Still need more, throw in Lee or Crawford or someone else too. The point is you need to be willing to tell your guys good bye and bring in new guys and Jerry gets too buddy buddy with everyone to do this. I love Dak, but if you told me I could sign Mahomes (obviously not happening) for the same money I don't even consider not cutting him to do it. I root for the uniform not the name on the back of it

Teddyg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your point but we have a lot of young talent thru great drafting that we will need to pay to keep this core together. They don’t view FA as a tool to build team, just to add pieces to help with depth. With some of players mentioned, keeping was a need, Crawford played well and has versatility to play inside and out and with Gregory status uncertain keeping him was a need. Hurns will probably move into slot role for CB and does give us some veteran presence at WR. While it does suck watching other teams sign these FA while we watch, it is for the best. This team is on cusp of seriously contending for SB, we have a lot of the right pieces in place now it’s up to JG to put together, if he doesn’t this year we will have a new coach for 2020.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is they have a few of their own they need to sign.
First priority has to be DLaw.
Yes, but they have known they had to sign DLaw since last year when they tagged him. Why not come in and hammer out a deal when they met a couple of weeks back? If the plan was to stick to a low number and force him to sign the tag..after he probably holds out till the day before week 1..why didn't they just trade him...because if that happens, this guy is gonna walk next year when he hits FA, I guarantee it

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is one of the problems with the Cowboys IMO. We always seem to overvalue our own. I'm not saying we should have zero loyalty or that we should have signed ET after seeing his contract but let's use him as an example. Heath has a $3M cap hit. Witten is getting somewhere between $2M and $5M (still unclear). We kept Hurns for like $6M. So, obviously those are one year deals and Earl would have taken at least 3, but who are we better off with Earl or those 3? Still need more, throw in Lee or Crawford or someone else too. The point is you need to be willing to tell your guys good bye and bring in new guys and Jerry gets too buddy buddy with everyone to do this. I love Dak, but if you told me I could sign Mahomes (obviously not happening) for the same money I don't even consider not cutting him to do it. I root for the uniform not the name on the back of it
That's 100% right. We pass on Earl Thomas for $13 million per, are in a standoff with DLaw, but can commit up to nearly $30 million in cap space(after incentives) to Witten, Lee, Hurns, Heath and Crawford? How about cutting those guys, sign the studs, and draft accordingly. On the Dak deal, that's exactly what I am saying too. We are totally bidding against ourselves when Jerry is babbling about not trading him for two #1's and him being a Franchise guy. We may be stupid enough to give him $30 million, but market should have been set with the Foles signing. Foles signs for $22 million in Jax, and by all accounts no one else was even close to that number. So Dak is worth $30 million? Put it this way, if we had signed Foles for $22 million to QB this team, and Jax had signed Dak $30 million, who got the better end of that stick? They are about the same guy

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's 100% right. We pass on Earl Thomas for $13 million per, are in a standoff with DLaw, but can commit up to nearly $30 million in cap space(after incentives) to Witten, Lee, Hurns, Heath and Crawford? How about cutting those guys, sign the studs, and draft accordingly. On the Dak deal, that's exactly what I am saying too. We are totally bidding against ourselves when Jerry is babbling about not trading him for two #1's and him being a Franchise guy. We may be stupid enough to give him $30 million, but market should have been set with the Foles signing. Foles signs for $22 million in Jax, and by all accounts no one else was even close to that number. So Dak is worth $30 million? Put it this way, if we had signed Foles for $22 million to QB this team, and Jax had signed Dak $30 million, who got the better end of that stick? They are about the same guy

You can't have a successful franchise just by signing a few stud players and having the rest be subpar. Look at all the teams that have taken that approach and tell me where they are. By my evaluation, they all took big steps backwards the last few years.

I agree that Heath needs to be replaced. I don't agree that we need a 30 year old, twice injured safety at $13 million. The $30 million to Witten, Lee, Hurns, Heath and Crawford comes to an average of $6 million per year. These aren't scrubs we're talking about (except for Heath); they are mostly solid players who help this team (again, except for Heath).

Frankly, if DLaw starts getting too expensive, I would look to trade him or let him walk, too. The same with Dak and Zeke, too. It was just a few years ago that almost everyone on this board was complaining about how too much cash went to too few players leaving us with a weak line-up. With that scenario, we were consistently finishing 8-8.

The needle has been moved in the positive direction. I'm willing to give it time to see if it will actually get us there. Right now, I think our most glaring need is in coaching/scheme.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't have a successful franchise just by signing a few stud players and having the rest be subpar. Look at all the teams that have taken that approach and tell me where they are. By my evaluation, they all took big steps backwards the last few years.

I agree that Heath needs to be replaced. I don't agree that we need a 30 year old, twice injured safety at $13 million. The $30 million to Witten, Lee, Hurns, Heath and Crawford comes to an average of $6 million per year. These aren't scrubs we're talking about (except for Heath); they are mostly solid players who help this team (again, except for Heath).

Frankly, if DLaw starts getting too expensive, I would look to trade him or let him walk, too. The same with Dak and Zeke, too. It was just a few years ago that almost everyone on this board was complaining about how too much cash went to too few players leaving us with a weak line-up. With that scenario, we were consistently finishing 8-8.

The needle has been moved in the positive direction. I'm willing to give it time to see if it will actually get us there. Right now, I think our most glaring need is in coaching/scheme.

I agree. If Dlaw starts getting too expensive, trade him for draft picks or a player. Dak too. We cannot have all our money locked into few players.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but they have known they had to sign DLaw since last year when they tagged him. Why not come in and hammer out a deal when they met a couple of weeks back? If the plan was to stick to a low number and force him to sign the tag..after he probably holds out till the day before week 1..why didn't they just trade him...because if that happens, this guy is gonna walk next year when he hits FA, I guarantee it

I never said the team is working everything perfectly, I'm just saying I wouldn't have pursued ET as strongly as others on here wanted to.

As for DLaw yes they should have worked out the contract a year ago.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, you never know what you've got until you lose it.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would argue that a good rookie class would give us more than the 5 guys we are paying $30 million, and at a lot less cost. I do agree about trading Dak, Zeke or anyone else. They were great bargains on rookie deals, diminishing returns at 8 figures
I never said go nuts on FA. I said I don't get the hols up on DLaw

Last edited:

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wanted earl,but not at the money he signed for. That leg of his snapped like a piece of balsa wood. But an upgrade for heath still needs to happen!

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue that a good rookie class would give us more than the 5 guys we are paying $30 million, and at a lot less cost. I do agree about trading Dak, Zeke or anyone else. They were great bargains on rookie deals, diminishing returns at 8 figures
I never said go nuts on FA. I said I don't get the hols up on DLaw
Cowboys need to get the Dlaw situation solved. He earned his money. We need him or QBs are going to pick apart the secondary. I think Armstrong will be better than Taco which is sad.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really like Dak,but I could see the cowboys franchising him. The same with zeke. RB have short careers. I just remember how the offense did in the second giants game without zeke. I do believe games are won by having a good QB and investing heavily in the trenches.