• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles face tough decisions this offseason

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t understand the “keep Jeffery because of the money” argument. If this guy really leaked info to Josina Anderson (or if everyone believes that), get him the hell away from this team. I love the attitude he brought to this team and he was instrumental to the SB win...but that’s the kind of stuff that can kill a locker room.

We've been through this before.

Cutting him is like a $26M cap hit. That's just not gonna happen.
Trading him only costs about $5.5M as a cap hit, but saves them roughly $10M to spend in FA.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t understand the “keep Jeffery because of the money” argument. If this guy really leaked info to Josina Anderson (or if everyone believes that), get him the hell away from this team. I love the attitude he brought to this team and he was instrumental to the SB win...but that’s the kind of stuff that can kill a locker room.

He acknowledges they may need to cut him for locker room issues, but cutting him saves no money. It may actually add to the cap hit. So his point is, might as well keep him as insurance.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Trading him only costs about $5.5M as a cap hit, but saves them roughly $10M to spend in FA.

Someone brought up designating him as a post June 1 cut. It sounded like a good idea.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone brought up designating him as a post June 1 cut. It sounded like a good idea.

Yeah, I got confused by that too. I thought the ~$5M hit was post June 1 cut, but it was the trade figure.

At this point I am fine with attaching a 5-7th rounder just to get someone to take him if this needs to be done.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good call, get Cleveland on the line and "fleece them" they have a new young rookie GM he'll over pay for Alshon

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys that are unrestricted :

Nigel Bradham OLB 30 PHI - $8,000,000 CO -
Rodney McLeod FS 30 PHI TBD $7,000,000 UFA -
Ronald Darby CB 26 PHI TBD $6,500,000 UFA -
Jason Peters LT 38 PHI TBD $6,000,000 UFA -
Nate Sudfeld QB 26 PHI TBD $3,095,000 UFA -
Nelson Agholor WR 27 PHI TBD $2,344,344 UFA -
Vinny Curry DE 32 PHI TBD $2,250,000 UFA -
Josh McCown QB 41 PHI TBD $2,000,000 UFA -
Timmy Jernigan DT 27 PHI TBD $2,000,000 UFA -
Darren Sproles RB 37 PHI TBD $1,330,000 UFA -
Richard Rodgers TE 28 PHI TBD $805,000 UFA -
Hassan Ridgeway DT 25 PHI TBD $725,056 UFA -
Jordan Howard RB 25 PHI TBD $647,006 UFA -
Halapoulivaati Vaitai G 27 PHI TBD $641,281 UFA -
Kamu Grugier-Hill OLB 26 PHI TBD $610,089 UFA -
Jalen Mills S 26 PHI TBD $604,214 UFA -
Craig James CB 24 PHI TBD $570,000 ERFA -
Corey Clement RB 25 PHI TBD $558,333 RFA -
Cameron Johnston

Now right off the bat the guys we wont see back :

Darby
Peters
Agholor
Curry
Sproles
Ridgeway
Grugier-Hill
Clement

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clement might be back because I think he is cheap, and they need a third back if they don't bring back Howard.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alshon may not even play the first 4 weeks of the season (maybe even longer). That makes it extremely hard to move him via trade.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s go over the cap implications for the other team then. Do they have to eat salary or can they cut him after the trade?

I believe if another team trades for a player they are not beholden to the signing bonus money, therefore it would just be whatever the salary is for that year, depending on whether he is cut before or after June 1st. If after June 1st, then the yearly salary is split in two?

But, I'm not positive on that.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe if another team trades for a player they are not beholden to the signing bonus money, therefore it would just be whatever the salary is for that year, depending on whether he is cut before or after June 1st. If after June 1st, then the yearly salary is split in two?

But, I'm not positive on that.

Pretty sure the team who trades for him would just be on the hook for the Base and "maybe" workout Bonus ... everything else falls back on the Eagles. A team trading for him would be on the hook for around 10.5 mil which wouldn't be horrible "if he were healthy", but Alshon is damaged goods. A team may only end up getting a half a season out of him and he looked really slow when he did play this past season. If I were the Eagles I'd trade him to anyone for a late 7th as long as they agree to it ... even if we need to throw in a 6th on top of it. That's a huge savings in the Cap if we can unload him somehow.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a stud EDGE rusher is available, that is also a priority, as BG is getting old and is not getting a lot of sacks. Barnett has shown nothing special, and the rest are suspects, not prospects.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure the team who trades for him would just be on the hook for the Base and "maybe" workout Bonus ... everything else falls back on the Eagles. A team trading for him would be on the hook for around 10.5 mil which wouldn't be horrible "if he were healthy", but Alshon is damaged goods. A team may only end up getting a half a season out of him and he looked really slow when he did play this past season. If I were the Eagles I'd trade him to anyone for a late 7th as long as they agree to it ... even if we need to throw in a 6th on top of it. That's a huge savings in the Cap if we can unload him somehow.

This move is going to be tough. It’s absolutely going to take a trading team willing to take a large gamble. Those exist in the NFL....but it does feel like they are becoming more rare. Who needs a receiver that badly that they would be willing to take this gamble and POSSIBLY get no more than a half a season of healthy production from him?

Im just having trouble seeing this.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This move is going to be tough. It’s absolutely going to take a trading team willing to take a large gamble. Those exist in the NFL....but it does feel like they are becoming more rare. Who needs a receiver that badly that they would be willing to take this gamble and POSSIBLY get no more than a half a season of healthy production from him?

Im just having trouble seeing this.

That's why it needs to be a 4th round pick, of which we should have two comp picks in that round.

Miami has $93M to spend.
Indy $90M.
Tampa Bay $86M.

Jeffery is owed $9.9 and $12.8 over the next two years.

Granted, those teams might need to overpay to get decent FA, but if one of those teams comes up short, it might be worth the gamble to spend unused cap money to acquire a decent draft pick rather than roll it over to next season. I agree, I don't see them doing it for a 6th or 7th round pick.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why it needs to be a 4th round pick, of which we should have two comp picks in that round.

Miami has $93M to spend.
Indy $90M.
Tampa Bay $86M.

Jeffery is owed $9.9 and $12.8 over the next two years.

Granted, those teams might need to overpay to get decent FA, but if one of those teams comes up short, it might be worth the gamble to spend unused cap money to acquire a decent draft pick rather than roll it over to next season. I agree, I don't see them doing it for a 6th or 7th round pick.

Well said. I could see that being the kind of case where we could get a deal. I haven’t checked on possible WR FAs yet so I don’t know how thick or thin that pool will be.

I don’t see TB looking as they have an absurdity of riches at WR right now. Dolphins as a maybe. Indy I could see as the best possibility. But they are rather smart on such things. It will be interesting to watch.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said. I could see that being the kind of case where we could get a deal. I haven’t checked on possible WR FAs yet so I don’t know how thick or thin that pool will be.

I don’t see TB looking as they have an absurdity of riches at WR right now. Dolphins as a maybe. Indy I could see as the best possibility. But they are rather smart on such things. It will be interesting to watch.

Of the notable young WR :
Pretty sure Amari Cooper stays with Dallas.
That leaves guys like Robbie Anderson, Devin Funchess, and Breshad Perriman.

Older WR include Randall Cobb, AJ Green, Demaryius Thomas, and Danny Amendola.