• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles Draft Thoughts (19 Days away)

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I listen and think about what the Eagles have done this off season ... the signs point to us moving up and taking either Wentz or Goff if at all possible. You don't fly your owner and most of the staff to interview prospects unless you are very serious about addressing that position. I think that while the Eagles have set themselves up at QB for the “immediate” future, they obviously don't see Bradford or Daniels as franchise QB's, but obviously want one. You can't predict what happens year to year, so they don't know when the next time is that you will be close enough to get that Franchise QB. They have addressed most of their immediate needs/holes through re-signing their own free agents or bringing others into the fold ... so even without a draft they are ready “now” to field a solid team. “If” the Eagles are convinced after the interviews/tape that either Wentz or Goff is their guy for the next 10-12 years I think they will make a serious run at them likely using future picks as well as #8. Reports have surfaced that Lurie is “in love” with Wentz which we have to take with a grain of salt as deception is key this time of year … but if true, the only way to get him would be at #1. A move like that would likely take the 8th pick, both 3rd rounders and their 1st rounder in 2017 … I don't see any way Wentz gets passed Cleveland at 2. Getting Goff imo would be a little easier as I think the only team we'd have to leapfrog is San Fran, but you never know if a team can trade up and take him as well. So if Goff is the guy they are targeting I think they have to move to 3 (Chargers) to get him. That would still probably have a price of our 1st in 2017, but maybe it wouldn't take both 3rd's.

If they are “not” convinced on either Wentz or Goff then the tune changes to either staying put at 8 or possibly trading down and reclaiming a 2nd round pick. The 3rd QB in the equation Paxton Lynch may come into play here one way or the other. The Eagles have spent considerable time with him as well and while he may be the greenest out of he, Wentz and Goff … he has all the physical tools you want with a tremendous arm. The fact that we have Bradford/Daniels for the immediate future means they could take their time with Lynch and have him simply learn 1 or even 2 years. Or if the Eagles want to trade down, there may be a few teams who would be interested in trading up for Lynch at that point. Saints (he can learn from an ancient Brees), Rams, Bills and Jets are all teams after us and in the top 20 who could use a QB. RB Zeke Elliot is the most talked about player if we stay put at 8 and is a player that I keep going back and forth on … not regarding his skill set at 8, but it's simply a position which you can fill later. If the Eagles are convinced that they can win “now” then I think there's a good shot he could be the pick. Especially considering that Ryan Mathews is so unreliable health-wise and Sproles is ancient in RB years.

Other players/positions at 8:

** Offensive Tackle

Stanley scares me a bit this high as he isn't great “all around”. While he has very good feet in pass protection, he's a very average run blocker and his “desire” for the game has been questioned. I think is you are a top 10 pick at OT you need to be really good in “both” the run and the pass. Jack Conklin is actually the better all around player imo and if the Eagles brass think that he translates well to “both” Tackle positions he may very well end up being the pick at 8. Unlike Stanley I think Conk can come right in and possibly beat out Wisniewski for that starting LG spot.

** Defensive Line

It “seems” like some teams have soured a bit on Joey Bosa atop the draft, but I'm not one of them. I saw a ton of Ohio State games the past 2 years and I have no doubt Bosa will be a force at the NFL level. If he somehow drops to 8 I will be on the edge of my seat hoping we call his name as our pick. Another guy I love is DeForest Buckner; while I don't see him dropping to 8, I can just imagine him next to Fletcher Cox getting after the QB; plus he can kick out to End in running situations. Either he or Bosa would be phenomenal value at 8. The other possible Dlineman at 8 could be Clemson DE Shaq Lawson whom I've been a big fan of for a while. I do think he's a step down from Bosa however and I'd rather see them trade down a bit for any DE not named Bosa. Guys like Noah Spence (who may be the best pass rusher in the draft) or Kevin Dodd may be just as good as Lawson at the next level. A'Shawn Robinson and Sheldon Rankins are two other DT's that merit “some” consideration, but Robinson, while great against the run doesn't offer as much as a pass rusher (which we need at Tackle in this scheme) and Rankins imo isn't enough of an upgrade, if any, from Bennie Logan … so I don't see either as considerations, at least not at 8.

** LB

Obviously if he falls to 8, Myles Jack would have to be a serious consideration. Stick him at SAM in this scheme and you are set … simple as that. The chances of him slipping to 8 however are very slim as it looks like the Jags are in love with him at 5.

** CB

If we are going CB in Rd 1 I think it will be via a trade down. While I like Hargreaves I can't get passed the 5'10” height. Plus the fact that Schwartz scheme calls for as much zone cover as man from the Corners and Hargraves isn't as good playing off man as he is at playing man. I think Mackensie Alexander whom most are mocking in the 20's is every bit as good a cover guy as Hargreaves, just without the Int's. Value wise I'd take Alexander all day in the late teens / early 20's over Hargreaves at 8. Other guys like Eli Apple and William Jackson who have better size can also be had in a trade down. Bottom line is that I don't expect us to go Corner unless we trade down.

** WR

No shot we go receiver at 8. We brought in Givens and Randle to compliment Agholor and Matthews. The only way I think we would have even considered receiver at 8 is if Treadwell would have pulled a 4.45 or better at his pro day which didn't happen. Even then I think it would have still been highly unlikely.

*** Gun to my head? I think we find a way to end up with the #1 pick and end up with Wentz. The Titans are playing the game and saying that it would take a king's ransom to get to #1, but they have a ton of needs and no one player will get them to the promised land. They already have their Franchise QB and can use as many picks possible to surround Mariota and that Defense with talent. Cleveland isn't going to give them their #1 pick next season to go up one spot and word is that Hue Jackson would be happy with either Wentz or Goff. The only other team the Eagles would be battling against for that #1 pick is ironically Chip and the Niners.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still call smokescreen with all the move up for a QB talk. I think there is a better chance if a QB falls to 8 they trade back to 15 with the Rams. Pick up the Rams 2nd rd pick. In the end I think they pick at 8 and go with Zeke.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Rey! Lots of research and due diligence. I do think that if Tenn won't accept your deal, of 2 #1s + 2 #3s (which I would rather give up one 3 each year, so we still have some ammunition in this draft), then I'd deal with the Ravens to move ahead of Chip and get Goff. And i think Balt will go for a small move down for them, just two picks later, and give up one #3, and even a #5 if we have to.

I agree about Stanley, as it's just the couple of things like finesse and dedication that make you worry. Even if it is a slight reach, I really like Conklin, and agree with you on his attributes and readiness.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Eagles interest in QB is a smoke screen. I could see if the Eagles were picking 2nd or 3rd, but they are picking 8th with very little likelihood that either Wentz or Goff slides to them (at least imo). When you show that much interest in a position for a smoke screen, it's with the hope that someone trades up for that player so that the player or players that you want have a better chance of dropping ... but when both Wentz and Goff are projected to go ahead of you anyway it's a moot point. The only way the smoke screen would make sense is to convince teams that there is a real chance that they take Paxton Lynch at 8 ... especially for a those teams in the 10-20 range who are looking at him. I think the interest in one of Wentz or Goff is real though (I actually think Wentz is the real target and all the other QB's they've looked at are the smoke screens) ... I think Lurie is tired of not having a prime time / face of the Franchise QB to move forward with. He's not taking anyone's word for it either ... that's why he's going along on these scouting trips. A RB like Zeke would be great for for a 4-6 year period ... but in today's NFL QB's drive teams and have 3 times the shelf life of a RB.

I heard a quote last week on one of the morning shows ... I think it was PFT ... there's two types of teams in the NFL, those with Franchise QB's and those constantly looking for a Franchise QB. I think Lurie's had enough of being one of those teams who are looking.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still dancing on a rope with this whole draft. Smokescreen.......totally possible. Its also possible that Pedersen wants to wear big boy pants like Reid and thinks he can develop a QB too, this scares the crap outta me as I still don't have a solidified trust in him. Zeke is the safe pick. Jack may fall into their lap. I do NOT want Stanley, Treadwell or Hargreaves. Bosa is my 1st round bust prospect. I am good with Goff or Wentz if they truly feel they are the future BUT not if they have to give away the store. If that's the case I think Lynch can be coached up and the Eagles trade down while also accumulating a 2nd round pick.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying it for a while - Bradford is not a franchise guy, and if you can locate a franchise guy in the draft you have to seriously consider it. No way do I think this is a smokescreen. This is genuine interest, regardless if they're able to get the #1 pick or not. Wentz has big time franchise potential. In todays NFL, you have to get a big time QB if you want to be a serious contender. Building a defense that was as dominant as the Broncos last year is just as hard as finding a franchise QB. It all comes down to the cost and how much the Eagles are willing to part with. I personally wouldn't trade up for Goff, It's Wentz or stay at 8 for me…unless of course a 3rd round pick nets us Myles Jack.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the QB stuff is a smokescreen. If you take the owner and the whole front office to check out a QB in the draft, you rent the restaurant or a room in it. Diners nearby aren't snapping team pics of your group.

I think we're D or O line all the way.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that stood out about Wentz for me was Senior bowl week.Here is a small school kid that just took over the huddle. Was by far the best Qb there, and the other players immediately recognized this. I think Goff looks pretty damn good as well. I love love love Paxton Lynch's arm and have gone on record saying he has the most upside. I'm quite certain we draft a QB, just not sure why we wouldn't move Bradford to Denver for a pick.
As for trading up to TENN with #8 it's gonna take a ton, especially to get Tenn off Tunsil.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the QB stuff is a smokescreen. If you take the owner and the whole front office to check out a QB in the draft, you rent the restaurant or a room in it. Diners nearby aren't snapping team pics of your group.

I think we're D or O line all the way.

With social media today there is no more secrecy. Plus with so much deception out there teams and fans don't know what's real or deception anyway ... it's almost like the more obvious it is the more people just dismiss it as a smoke screen. lol

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
perhaps.....guess you don't like Mariota?
No it's this:
Needs to improve ball placement for catch-and-run throws. Inability to throw with desired accuracy on the move forced him to leave yards and plays on the field. Must learn to better anticipate routes and stay ahead in the rep. Doesn't quite have the quickness through progressions that he will need in the pros.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mayock on Wentz

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No worries on the board ... didn't even flinch :)

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think i'll turn off my TV if we move up for a QB in the 1st round. As for my other thoughts 19 days away. Shit can't start soon enough. Having the draft at the end of April sucks ass.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, at least it's a week earlier than last year. Wasn't it the first week in May? The way Goodell is, he'd like it in June.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I listen and think about what the Eagles have done this off season ... the signs point to us moving up and taking either Wentz or Goff if at all possible. You don't fly your owner and most of the staff to interview prospects unless you are very serious about addressing that position. I think that while the Eagles have set themselves up at QB for the “immediate” future, they obviously don't see Bradford or Daniels as franchise QB's, but obviously want one. You can't predict what happens year to year, so they don't know when the next time is that you will be close enough to get that Franchise QB. They have addressed most of their immediate needs/holes through re-signing their own free agents or bringing others into the fold ... so even without a draft they are ready “now” to field a solid team. “If” the Eagles are convinced after the interviews/tape that either Wentz or Goff is their guy for the next 10-12 years I think they will make a serious run at them likely using future picks as well as #8. Reports have surfaced that Lurie is “in love” with Wentz which we have to take with a grain of salt as deception is key this time of year … but if true, the only way to get him would be at #1. A move like that would likely take the 8th pick, both 3rd rounders and their 1st rounder in 2017 … I don't see any way Wentz gets passed Cleveland at 2. Getting Goff imo would be a little easier as I think the only team we'd have to leapfrog is San Fran, but you never know if a team can trade up and take him as well. So if Goff is the guy they are targeting I think they have to move to 3 (Chargers) to get him. That would still probably have a price of our 1st in 2017, but maybe it wouldn't take both 3rd's.

If they are “not” convinced on either Wentz or Goff then the tune changes to either staying put at 8 or possibly trading down and reclaiming a 2nd round pick. The 3rd QB in the equation Paxton Lynch may come into play here one way or the other. The Eagles have spent considerable time with him as well and while he may be the greenest out of he, Wentz and Goff … he has all the physical tools you want with a tremendous arm. The fact that we have Bradford/Daniels for the immediate future means they could take their time with Lynch and have him simply learn 1 or even 2 years. Or if the Eagles want to trade down, there may be a few teams who would be interested in trading up for Lynch at that point. Saints (he can learn from an ancient Brees), Rams, Bills and Jets are all teams after us and in the top 20 who could use a QB. RB Zeke Elliot is the most talked about player if we stay put at 8 and is a player that I keep going back and forth on … not regarding his skill set at 8, but it's simply a position which you can fill later. If the Eagles are convinced that they can win “now” then I think there's a good shot he could be the pick. Especially considering that Ryan Mathews is so unreliable health-wise and Sproles is ancient in RB years.

** Offensive Tackle

Stanley scares me a bit this high as he isn't great “all around”. While he has very good feet in pass protection, he's a very average run blocker and his “desire” for the game has been questioned. I think is you are a top 10 pick at OT you need to be really good in “both” the run and the pass. Jack Conklin is actually the better all around player imo and if the Eagles brass think that he translates well to “both” Tackle positions he may very well end up being the pick at 8. Unlike Stanley I think Conk can come right in and possibly beat out Wisniewski for that starting LG spot.

** Defensive Line

It “seems” like some teams have soured a bit on Joey Bosa atop the draft, but I'm not one of them. I saw a ton of Ohio State games the past 2 years and I have no doubt Bosa will be a force at the NFL level. If he somehow drops to 8 I will be on the edge of my seat hoping we call his name as our pick. Another guy I love is DeForest Buckner; while I don't see him dropping to 8, I can just imagine him next to Fletcher Cox getting after the QB; plus he can kick out to End in running situations. Either he or Bosa would be phenomenal value at 8. The other possible Dlineman at 8 could be Clemson DE Shaq Lawson whom I've been a big fan of for a while. I do think he's a step down from Bosa however and I'd rather see them trade down a bit for any DE not named Bosa. Guys like Noah Spence (who may be the best pass rusher in the draft) or Kevin Dodd may be just as good as Lawson at the next level. A'Shawn Robinson and Sheldon Rankins are two other DT's that merit “some” consideration, but Robinson, while great against the run doesn't offer as much as a pass rusher (which we need at Tackle in this scheme) and Rankins imo isn't enough of an upgrade, if any, from Bennie Logan … so I don't see either as considerations, at least not at 8.

** LB

Obviously if he falls to 8, Myles Jack would have to be a serious consideration. Stick him at SAM in this scheme and you are set … simple as that. The chances of him slipping to 8 however are very slim as it looks like the Jags are in love with him at 5.

** CB

If we are going CB in Rd 1 I think it will be via a trade down. While I like Hargreaves I can't get passed the 5'10” height. Plus the fact that Schwartz scheme calls for as much zone cover as man from the Corners and Hargraves isn't as good playing off man as he is at playing man. I think Mackensie Alexander whom most are mocking in the 20's is every bit as good a cover guy as Hargreaves, just without the Int's. Value wise I'd take Alexander all day in the late teens / early 20's over Hargreaves at 8. Other guys like Eli Apple and William Jackson who have better size can also be had in a trade down. Bottom line is that I don't expect us to go Corner unless we trade down.

** WR

No shot we go receiver at 8. We brought in Givens and Randle to compliment Agholor and Matthews. The only way I think we would have even considered receiver at 8 is if Treadwell would have pulled a 4.45 or better at his pro day which didn't happen. Even then I think it would have still been highly unlikely.

*** Gun to my head? I think we find a way to end up with the #1 pick and end up with Wentz. The Titans are playing the game and saying that it would take a king's ransom to get to #1, but they have a ton of needs and no one player will get them to the promised land. They already have their Franchise QB and can use as many picks possible to surround Mariota and that Defense with talent. Cleveland isn't going to give them their #1 pick next season to go up one spot and word is that Hue Jackson would be happy with either Wentz or Goff. The only other team the Eagles would be battling against for that #1 pick is ironically Chip and the Niners.

If they were going in that direction they would have simply signed Daniels (and saved the money on Bradford) knowing they would have to give up a fortune to get to number one. the only way you're getting to one is if they have an RGIII type of deal. I doubt highly that they are going to move up.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

** Offensive Tackle

** Defensive Line

** LB

** CB

** WR

I'm highly doubtful of a move to one. If they were going to do that they would never have signed bradford. they'd have simply gone with daniels and saved the money.
the cost of the move to 1 is prohibitive, way more than what you propose. It would have to RGIII ish.
If a qb falls to them at 8 they may go that way but i'm very sceptical of the notion