• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Durant ijury, the cosequences for the entire league's future..

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said... I believe this is the most possible scenario too... But they'll have to dump either Livingston's or Iguodala's contract.
In any case they won't pay lux tax next season.

Livingston is going to retire most likely, or yes be dumped. He's cooked. But everyone else is staying.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said... I believe this is the most possible scenario too... But they'll have to dump either Livingston's or Iguodala's contract.
In any case they won't pay lux tax next season.
they will pay the lux tax....i dont think there is any way around it even if Durant leaves....but they cant keep the big 4 together once Dray is up for his extension/raise. Wont happen.

The most a team has ever spent in a single year in luxury tax is like 70-75M.

If the Warriors brought their same team back they would be spending about 160M+ in luxury tax. Its just the CBA doing what the CBA was designed to do.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Gilbert's refusal to pay for a GM is mindboggling

The Cavaliers had a massive $121 million payroll in 2016-17 and face a $45 million luxury tax bill on top of that. LeBron James, Kyrie Irving, and Kevin Love aren’t cheap, and re-signing Tristan Thompson, Iman Shumpert, and J.R. Smith in recent years got quite expensive. Cleveland will begin triggering the oppressive repeater tax in 2017-18, which will increase its inevitable luxury tax bill an additional 44 percent.

(The repeater tax enters the picture when a team has triggered the tax in three of the four previous seasons. This is Year 3 of the tax for Cleveland, so it has not yet been triggered. If the Cavaliers go one dollar over the tax next year — and they will — the repeater will be triggered for both 2017-18 and 2018-19.)

They went over both years.

You're a real asshole for delivering facts.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what do you mean? "everyone else" Cousins? Looney? Durant?

My bad, meant Curry, Klay, Dray for sure. No one is getting dumped for salary reasons like this clown keeps saying. Would love Looney back. Can only pay Cousins like $8 mil for 1 year so he's likely gone too.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I said, because the ownership will never do it.

If KD exercises his PO they are in deep shit... Only way they can get out of it, is if KD rejects the option, then resign Thompson and then finda way to dump Iguodala's or Livingston's contract... If KD exercises his option though, the only way to do the same is if they come up with something that dumps his salary too...

Yet the Dubs are willing to spend into the luxury tax.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad, meant Curry, Klay, Dray for sure. No one is getting dumped for salary reasons like this clown keeps saying. Would love Looney back. Can only pay Cousins like $8 mil for 1 year so he's likely gone too.
Looney will be gone for straight salary reasons thats for sure. Klay, Curry and Dray will be there. Livingston will be cut because of salary because its not like you can replace him with cap space you save from cutting him. Cousins will leave because he cant sign for over the MLE with you guys--- he was always gone though.

I wonder if they use their MLE or let it sit. IF they let it sit and dont use it, it will be for straight salary money saving reasons.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
def. a difference between luxury tax spending and spending 160M+ in luxury tax.

I think the most a team has ever spent is about 70M in luxury tax in a single season.

One of the sites has, if Golden State brings back the same team, a tax bill of about 170-175M tax bill. I dont think they will bring back Looney or Livingston. I think they probably have to use their MLE since the will really need a big man. I think there tax bill will be about 160 if Durant comes back.

the following year Iggy comes off the books and his 16M....but that 16M is almost all soaked up by Draymonds raise to a near max...and then you have all the built in raises for Durant, Curry and Klay, which will make them exceed what they spent this year even with Iguadala leaving.

The NBA structured it so teams couldnt have 4 max players for any real length of time. I could MAYBE, see a team taking a 1 year hit --- but even that is hard to believe at those numbers.....but for the Warriors to keep the Big 4 together over a 3 year period would cost almost half a billion in tax alone- and that is simply not even close to sustainable. Its just not realistic.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
def. a difference between luxury tax spending and spending 160M+ in luxury tax.

I think the most a team has ever spent is about 70M in luxury tax in a single season.

One of the sites has, if Golden State brings back the same team, a tax bill of about 170-175M tax bill. I dont think they will bring back Looney or Livingston. I think they probably have to use their MLE since the will really need a big man. I think there tax bill will be about 160 if Durant comes back.

the following year Iggy comes off the books and his 16M....but that 16M is almost all soaked up by Draymonds raise to a near max...and then you have all the built in raises for Durant, Curry and Klay, which will make them exceed what they spent this year even with Iguadala leaving.

The NBA structured it so teams couldnt have 4 max players for any real length of time. I could MAYBE, see a team taking a 1 year hit --- but even that is hard to believe at those numbers.....but for the Warriors to keep the Big 4 together over a 3 year period would cost almost half a billion in tax alone- and that is simply not even close to sustainable. Its just not realistic.

Who really knows? But @buckalis said it was impossible. That was the main argument.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its not impossible but it almost is. to have 4 players signed to maxes.

No, I completely get it. ESPN mentioned that if they had all 4 to max contracts, over the next 4 years they'd be paying about $1.5 billion in salary and luxury tax. That's a lot of money, unless your name is Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I completely get it. ESPN mentioned that if they had all 4 to max contracts, over the next 4 years they'd be paying about $1.5 billion in salary and luxury tax. That's a lot of money, unless your name is Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates.

If KD does take the supermax, I suspect Draymond will be the odd man out.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone giving Draymond 30 mil plus is a question

I'd be pretty hesitant

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone giving Draymond 30 mil plus is a question

I'd be pretty hesitant

Only the Ws would that make sense, and only if KD isn't there also.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If KD does take the supermax, I suspect Draymond will be the odd man out.

I agree with that. You're not getting rid of Steph or KD in that hypothetical situation. And Klay is the best two-way player in the league sans Kawhi; he holds more value than Draymond.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. You're not getting rid of Steph or KD in that hypothetical situation. And Klay is the best two-way player in the league sans Kawhi; he holds more value than Draymond.

Yep, they'd have one more year with the whole gang together.

Draymond also has the kind of physical game that won't age well