• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Drastic rebuild option

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By trading or cutting Stafford, Johnson, Bell, and Tulloch this offseason Lions would clear 30 Million in cap space and shift 26 million to dead money. No post June 1st cut bull shit, no reason to delay the dead money. This is the best way to reset I think, It clears enough money to fill in the holes plus some the first year and leaves 26 more the year after.

If Lions can get any draft picks of any kind for any of the players then great, but if not cut them anyway. Time for a new GM, and he needs to wipe the slate clean and start over. Lions a built well to do just that.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can get behind this if we are able to draft the #1 overall QB coming out of college. But first things first......We have to clean house in mngmnt.......Hire a proven winning coach......Harbaugh turned Michigan around in less then a year.......Hire a proven coach (I don't know what is out there) Maybe John Harbaugh......Get the brothers back together.

We would have money to spend trading Stafford and selling off non essential pieces......There is lots of talent on this team but with lesser mangmt and coaching staff coaching it and developing it, it won't matter.....Start at the top and start firing people.....

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But first things first......We have to clean house in mngmnt.......Hire a proven winning coach

Coaching is everything. There is a reason New England sits atop the standings every year and is undefeated so far.

Here is our coaches.......
detroit-offensive-coordinator-joe-lombardi-nose-pick.png

and here......

pi-Jim-Caldwell-010314.vresize.312.176.high.37.jpg

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not spent much time looking at college players yet. I usually wait until the season is over and the bowl games are starting. So far If I had to vote I would say this is the wrong year to try to draft a QB. I would not mind finding a new QB though soon.

I would try to keep CJ if he wants to give a home town discount on the extension. If he tries to Suh us then he can walk too.

Bell and Tulloch can go though. No reason I can see to keep old injured players.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can get behind this if we are able to draft the #1 overall QB coming out of college. But first things first......We have to clean house in mngmnt.......Hire a proven winning coach......Harbaugh turned Michigan around in less then a year.......Hire a proven coach (I don't know what is out there) Maybe John Harbaugh......Get the brothers back together.

We would have money to spend trading Stafford and selling off non essential pieces......There is lots of talent on this team but with lesser mangmt and coaching staff coaching it and developing it, it won't matter.....Start at the top and start firing people.....

Hey guys...idk if I'd be ready to clear the slate just yet.

1st off...do you think Matt Ryan is much better than Stafford?

I'm going to say no, he may play a little smarter...maybe better coached at the position, but he's not a better talent imo.

I use Ryan because this Lion team looks a lot like ATL did the last year and '13...4-12 and 8-8...some talent, but not enough and the coaching got stale.

What happened.

• '14 Drafted LT, Matthews...he's the anchor now, still growing, but a good young player. 4 new starters on this OL that was terrible LY...a season later...they look like a OL on a winning team.
  • Fired Mike Smith (should have fired the GM, inexplicably they did not, demoted him, essentially taking draft and FA picks from him but he's over the contracts, etc.)
  • Hired Dan Quinn, DC from SEA
  • Quinn brings in some reasonably priced LB FAs, finds a FS off the scrape heap.
  • New energy, enthusiasm from 1st day of camp....soft schedule has helped, but there is a new attitude and he had some good pcs here to work with....I thought they might be a 9 to 10 win team with the schedule this yr...they might do better.

To totally (Stafford) turn the page now, DET is probably setting the franchise back to '18 before they are a legit playoff team again...I say axe the staff, get somebody in there that is younger, players want to play for...and the GM...axe him too...as much as I liked Ebron...you had Pettigrew...Suh...this was brewing for a long time, could he not be traded before being lost to comp picks?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd cut Tate way before Staff.

Don't know his contract ins and outs. But Inremember the IC telling me it'd be an easy cut after two years.

Tully and Bell should never have been on this years team in the first place, imo.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To totally (Stafford) turn the page now, DET is probably setting the franchise back to '18 before they are a legit playoff team again...I say axe the staff, get somebody in there that is younger, players want to play for...and the GM...axe him too...as much as I liked Ebron...you had Pettigrew...Suh...this was brewing for a long time, could he not be traded before being lost to comp picks?

We've never been a legit playoff team with him, so there is would be no set-back.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st off...do you think Matt Ryan is much better than Stafford?

I do, considerably better

Ryan-
  • Com%- 64
  • YPA- 7.2
  • TD/Int- 187/90
  • W/L- 71/44 .617
Stafford-
  • Com%- 60
  • YPA- 6.96
  • TD/Int- 137/93
  • W/L- 35/47 .427

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd cut Tate way before Staff.

Don't know his contract ins and outs. But Inremember the IC telling me it'd be an easy cut after two years.

Tully and Bell should never have been on this years team in the first place, imo.

Tate will cost 7 million on the books whether he is on the team or not next year

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ownership (rightfully) will not let this regime do one more thing. No more new contracts, no trades etc...

It's just a waiting game now until the new GM is hired. Hopefully they've begin the process of finding one behind the scenes.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. They pushed 750k to bonus more each year. Saved 3.7 up front, but it is all dead money now if we cut him

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. They pushed 750k to bonus more each year. Saved 3.7 up front, but it is all dead money now if we cut him
Not sure if I've stated it before, but I want Mayhew fired.

We shouldn't make any moves as a franchise until that happens.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do, considerably better

Ryan-
  • Com%- 64
  • YPA- 7.2
  • TD/Int- 187/90
  • W/L- 71/44 .617
Stafford-
  • Com%- 60
  • YPA- 6.96
  • TD/Int- 137/93
  • W/L- 35/47 .427

The stats bear that out, and I agree that Matt is better, but much better...idts.

Ryan has had better talent around him with a legit WR1,2&3 and TE...his best years were with Turner running the ball. Since they've become a Matt Ryan pass 1st team they haven't won nearly as many games...this year Quinn has the run balance back in play.

Stafford has always had a great WR1 option, but the rest have been a mixed bag...have tried different pieces WR2, never had the stable RB situation, TE looked good on draft day and disappeared.

Lions GM for a Yr

1. Go fire sale with Stafford and Johnson and take the cap hit...fire HC and GM...I think Johnson at his age with the cap hits remaining on his deal is untradeable...outright release. Stafford you can trade for a 1st round pick and maybe a 3rd or 4th....CLE, HOU, maybe SF.

2016 draft you have maybe #1 overall, plus another probable top 10 pick, an extra 3rd or 4th rd pick.

Take the 1st QB off the board...then with the other 1st round pick, take an OT, 2nd rd WR, etc, etc,

2. Stay the course with Stafford and Johnson. Fire HC & GM, bring in new staff

2016 draft...#1 overall...take the DT, Nkediche...2nd rd, BPA, 3rd BPA, etc.

If you measured the results at the end of the next 4 seasons I think option 2 would fare better.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've never been a legit playoff team with him, so there is would be no set-back.
lol...good point!

But...I still say this...with Stafford/Johnson you were in the mix if not legit...idk if that will be the case for awhile if you go with a fire sale.

At the same time, I recognize sometimes you have to turn the page...more so on Johnson than Stafford to me, but...I get it.