• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Schedule and League Year

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL close to shifting draft to May

The NFL and NFL Players Association are on the verge of pushing back the draft to May and moving up the start of the league year to before the Indianapolis scouting combine, according to league and union sources.

The change of the draft to May would be effective in 2014, according to a source.

As for the draft, the NFLPA is close to signing off on allowing the NFL to move the draft to May from April for at least the next three years, according to sources. Under the current collective bargaining agreement, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell can set the date of the draft without the NFLPA's approval, although he would prefer to have the union's blessing to maintain league harmony.

The start of the new league year is now expected to be moved to before the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis rather than after it, per league sources. The NFLPA wanted to give free agents a chance to find new teams sooner.

The new league year would start before the combine in 2015 and 2016, a source said.

The NFL originally proposed a league year that would have started later in the calendar year and the NFLPA rejected that idea, believing it to be unfair to its players.

This year's scouting combine took place from Feb. 20-26. The 2013 league year began on March 12.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think about this proposed move? The draft part is for a few reasons - one to drag on talk about the NFL with a longer wait for the draft and also, to perhaps allow players to graduate first so they can practice soon (minor consideration).

I'm interested in the league year change, as to how it affects free agency. Players and teams can do what they want but what will these change in the market? Signing a player before the Combine so that no one else has them but then getting stuck with them if a Combine guy proves perhaps better than expected.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The graduation issue makes a lot of sense.

I think I like the move. Makes the post-draft doldrums (now) a little shorter. I would've been a little more patient if the Niners weren't just screwed out of their 6th SB trophy; that's making me want revenge now.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
from my fan perspective, doesn't matter to me?

good point on the student perspective, it gives them 'space' to finish. my guess is....the reality for most draftable players is just looking to the NFL, forget school. but there will be some who could use the time, so good for them.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate it. It takes so long to wait for the draft now. To make me wait another month will drive me crazy

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hate it. It takes so long to wait for the draft now. To make me wait another month will drive me crazy

looks like the most it'll add is three weeks?

anyway, draft talk usually starts around January. so as it is we go over and over the draft for four months. whats wrong with repeating things over and over another three weeks? :-)

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are they going to do about rookie camp? Are these guys going to get drafted over the weekend and then report to team facilities on Tuesday to start camp?