• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Night Thread

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was not even thinking of the competition with other sports for the athletes themselves. That is a good point.

Ultimately, if this process improves college baseball, it may be a net gain, but if it pushes the Bo Jacksons, Deion Sanders', Samdjdhsgagkshfgjas, etc to football (or the Hershisers to hockey, etc), than it will be a HUGE net negative for the sport.

And, assuming a lower talent level overall, the FA money going to the elite will be enormous, which would, in turn, constrain some of the motivation to choose a different sport.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is McCall a big enough prospect to dedicate nearly their entire first 10 rounds to? Seems a stretch, but I am ignorant towards his abilities...

He's getting Tommy Joseph comparisons from some, but more athletic.

"McCall is a 2012 OF with a 6-1 205 lb. frame from Farmington, NM who attends Piedra Vista HS. Thick, very strong athletic build. 6.62 runner, quick first step, left field arm strength, can improve throwing fundamentals. Right handed hitter, spread stance hitting, aggressive swing with very good bat speed, looks to pull, maintains balance well, upper cut swing plate, gets extension out front, present power, can drive the ball hard. Nice speed/power combination. Very good student."

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
McC's Roger:

The strategy that most everybody seemed to be working on yesterday was to take college seniors in the 6-10 rounds and then use those savings on tough signs in the 11th round, where if you don’t sign them you’re not penalized at all for the loss; you just lose the player, not the bonus slot from your pool allotment.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chuckie Jones and Wendell Fairley got big comparisons as well...

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
McC's Roger:

There's still a bonus pool for the final rounds. Teams have 100k slotted per pick for a total of 3 million.

Now I don't know if that means they can spend 2mil on one person and leave 1mil for the rest of the picks, but if i had to guess, I would say that's not an option.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. "There's many a slip twixt cup and lip."

LOL

I have no idea what you mean by that, But I assume it is something like, "We can both start naming examples of everything under the sun".

True, true, true

My only point is that this guy better have a pretty high ceiling, and a better than decent shot at reaching it if they were willing to dedicate their 4(ish) through 10 picks to get him in the fold.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There's still a bonus pool for the final rounds. Teams have 100k slotted per pick for a total of 3 million.

Now I don't know if that means they can spend 2mil on one person and leave 1mil for the rest of the picks, but if i had to guess, I would say that's not an option.

Roger's post seems to imply they can. But you're right, that seems to be an unlikely loophole.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LOL

I have no idea what you mean by that, But I assume it is something like, "We can both start naming examples of everything under the sun".

True, true, true

My only point is that this guy better have a pretty high ceiling, and a better than decent shot at reaching it if they were willing to dedicate their 4(ish) through 10 picks to get him in the fold.

Broadly, it means even the best plans are never certain. In this context, I meant it as: yeah, comps don't mean much, other than to give you an idea of the type of player we're talking about.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
34 rounds, 1 HS player, 16 college seniors

I have seen this draft compared to the Michael Tucker draft on a few sites...

GAWD I hope that is just PFCD speak...

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
34 rounds, 1 HS player, 16 college seniors

I have seen this draft compared to the Michael Tucker draft on a few sites...

GAWD I hope that is just PFCD speak...

Durty came from that draft!!!!!

Stratton, Agosta, and Johnson were not throw away picks, and all three have great upside.

People are shitting a brick over all the relief arms we've taken, look at the past drafts! We have been taking 5-6 power relief arms in the 3-10 round range for years. Most importantly, imo, the draft is a crap shoot. All these people complaining are amateur scouts at best, and their opinions should treated as such. They're just mad we didn't go all gaggles with all the HS talent. Well, all the teams that did aren't going to sign them all, that's a fact.

Lastly, this was a really mediocre draft talent wise, it's not like us missing out on the 05 drafts talent.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This line of "logic" is one I don't understand. The Giants have PLENTY of money. This team has operated at a net profit every year it has been in AT&T Park. Rowand, Huff, Freddy, and Wilson come off the books this season. Zito next season. That's $40 million in savings in two years. Factor in raises for Posey, Panda and Melky and there is still money left over to go get a bat. So the money is there. By the time Bumgarner is ready for his big reward, Timmeh has moved on and the stadium is paid off, so the money coming in is ALL surplus. You all have to stop thinking that the Giants are on a fixed budget. They are not. They HAVE the money. Sabean just has to spend it more wisely.

So we're back to: "I wish I rooted for a team that didn't have to worry about money". I agree Sabean has to spend it better, because if he hadn't signed Roro and Zito he'd have had budget to get good players instead. When they are off the books he will have more to spend, and when the stadium is paid off he (or his replacement) will have still more, and when/if they get a Rangers-style TV deal there will be more, etc.

Bottom line is you can't just say 'fill every hole, right now, I want to buy a WS again right this minute' when the Giants are your team. Yankees and Red Sox and pretty soon Dodgers fans can be like that. We can't.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we're back to: "I wish I rooted for a team that didn't have to worry about money". I agree Sabean has to spend it better, because if he hadn't signed Roro and Zito he'd have had budget to get good players instead. When they are off the books he will have more to spend, and when the stadium is paid off he (or his replacement) will have still more, and when/if they get a Rangers-style TV deal there will be more, etc.

Bottom line is you can't just say 'fill every hole, right now, I want to buy a WS again right this minute' when the Giants are your team. Yankees and Red Sox and pretty soon Dodgers fans can be like that. We can't.

Plus, that line of thinking has failed more often than it has succeeded in baseball, recently. Granted, the bar is set at its highest, so there is very little room for error, but the team with the "unlimited budget" knows those pressures going into that strategy. Furthermore, fuck those teams. Hiding behind billions is for front-runners and loud-mouths.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, that line of thinking has failed more often than it has succeeded in baseball, recently. Granted, the bar is set at its highest, so there is very little room for error, but the team with the "unlimited budget" knows those pressures going into that strategy. Furthermore, fuck those teams. Hiding behind billions is for front-runners and loud-mouths.

You can buy your way to the playoffs pretty much, but then it really is fate/luck/random/SSS who wins.

This century the Giants have the same number of rings as the Yankees. Because technically the century started in 2001.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can buy your way to the playoffs pretty much, but then it really is fate/luck/random/SSS who wins.

This century the Giants have the same number of rings as the Yankees. Because technically the century started in 2001.

St Louis and Boston are the RUN AWAY teams of the century. Twice as many rings as their closest competitors...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting run there...

Picks 35-40 were all JC/HS players

overall...

5 HS
4 JC
16 Sr+
15 Jr/So

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No they can't. Players after round 10 don't count against the pool *so long as they do not exceed $100,000*. From the mlb.com site :

A Club’s Signing Bonus Pool equals the sum of the values of that Club’s selections in the first 10 rounds of the draft. Players selected after the 10th round do not count against a Club’s Signing Bonus Pool if they receive bonuses up to $100,000. Any amounts paid in excess of $100,000 will count against the Pool.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough on a kid, when both the players union and the owners are willing to screw you. I think these new rules will have a chilling effect on a talented athlete choosing to play baseball. I'd expect teams to scour the winter leagues for players in the future.

The new CBA establishes a "Signing Bonus Pool" for international signings, along with penalties and "taxes", just like it did for the rule 4 draft. So international signing bonuses are going to be limited as well.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The new CBA establishes a "Signing Bonus Pool" for international signings, along with penalties and "taxes", just like it did for the rule 4 draft. So international signing bonuses are going to be limited as well.

Sure. I actually knew about the new international rules - though not in detail. I'm not talking scour for young A/B level prospects though. I'm talking org fillers, and an occasional guy like Blanco.