• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Gurley?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With his injury this guy might sink to the bottom of the 1st, anyone think we'd take him?

After 2 seasons dunno if Michael is anything but a backup (until he gets going on ball security, blocking, understanding all plays) and Gurley was a top 5 talent prior to the ACL.

Lynch has another year on his contract which gives Gurley time to rest his leg and learn our system. Guy could be a stud for us.

With Lynch's contract running out, him getting a bit older and after next season enduring a lot of hits/damage over quite a bit of playing, I think we need a surefire thing at H BACK if we want to remain a run first team (which I don't see changing considering how we're locking up the D and running game + good D goes hand in hand).

Thoughts? I could see Carroll pulling the trigger on RBACK and everyone going, "DUR WHAT?!" Seems like a Carroll type move.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in round 1. Maybe Melvin Gordon, though.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RBs aren't worth first rounds picks anymore, we need interior linemen if anything.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RBs aren't worth first rounds picks anymore, we need interior linemen if anything.

Agreed... Okung is going to be a FA and our interior linemen need upgraded in a big way... I'd like to spend our first 3 picks on a OL, DL and WR...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for linemen being the first prior, but if the Seahawks pick a non linemen, Melvin Gordan is tempting IMO. I know RBs usually are not first round picks anymore, but picking 32 ( I'm hoping) is not much different then a 2nd round pick and I doubt Gordan last until the 64th pick.
Consider this, OT that are good go in the top half of the draft, same with the top DL. This isn't a great year for a WR,. So picking 32nd the Seahawks could draft what's left of the OL and DL or pick up the best RB in the draft. Food for thought.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

408 yards in 3 quarters play. That's impressive, watching film, he looks good, but the Seahawks should draft some of those Wisconsin OL, because they do a heck of job opening up holes for Gordan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man someone will grab Gordon early on, I just don't see how that lasts. Even a trade up ahead of us into the 1st is not that hard to imagine.

I like Gurley though. That guy was consensus #1 RB (regardless of Melvin) prior to his injury.

I do agree we need to draft some O-Lineman but meh, 1st round again? Britt (late 2nd), Carpenter (1st), Okung (top 10), Unger (late 2nd), I mean good lord. We've spent a lot of high picks on OL.

If we don't nab someone like Gurley (assuming he's there) I like Ty Montgomery out of Stanford. Physical player that is tough to bring down and gives us our return game back, which has been the biggest weakness of our team this year.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks should draft some of those Wisconsin OL, because they do a heck of job opening up holes for Gordan.

They tried that already, didn't work out well ;)

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They tried that already, didn't work out well ;)

Huh? Who?

Are you thinking Carpenter from Bama (who has actually really done well this season outside of injuries).

Wisconsin has produced some beast players. J.J Watt, Wilson, Joe Thomas. Good school to draft from.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? Who?

Are you thinking Carpenter from Bama (who has actually really done well this season outside of injuries).

Not Carpenter, but same draft. John Moffitt was from Wisconsin, brought in because he opened holes. He's retired now.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think Gurley would be no better than 3rd and no worse than 5th rounds. If he wasn't injury prone, then maybe consider higher, but he is so injury prone.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think Gurley would be no better than 3rd and no worse than 5th rounds. If he wasn't injury prone, then maybe consider higher, but he is so injury prone.

Exactly, no need for Marcus Lattimore 2.0. If he falls to late rounds (6th or 7th) then sure, they're a crap shoot anyway, but no way would I use a first two days pick on him.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're being a bit too quick to judge Michael.

I still see him as being a guy with star potential.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a strong OL, you can make decent backs look good... RB's, imo, are the least of our worries...

We all know the help we need at OL... Carp shouldn't be resigned, he's a FA... Okung will be a FA at the end of '15... Unger is injury prone... Britt and Sweezy are decent... you can never have too much beef on the OL... This needs to be a focus for the team...

DL is another area of need... Our pass rush is ok, has taken a huge dip with the departure of Clemons, McDonald and Bryant... Hill has been a pleasant surprised but not sure how durable the kid from UCLA will be... He's seems to have the "PORK CHOP WOMACK" disease...

WR... Our biggest need going into '14... If a skilled position is to be drafted in the 1st, WR should easily trump RB imo... We need a game breaker at this position... Someone who can return punts as well... I like Ty Montgomery and the kid from Auburn... We may be able to get Ty in the 2nd round...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, yes, a good OL can make a running back look good. However you got to consider the best bang for the buck. When your picking 32 (I hope) the best of the OL have been picked and then you have a bunch of players without a lot to separate them.You may pick up that gem of a OL in the 3rd round, who may prove out to be as good as the players picked above him after the 32nd pick.
The really good OL for the Seahawks have been high draft picks Walter Jones at the 6th spot and Steve Hutchinson at 17th spot. Lets just realize that picking at 32nd spot will not get you a great OL or DL, but it may get you a franchise RB.

As for WR, this isn't a good draft for one and the good ones will be gone before the Seahawks pick. Besides the Seahawks have two rookies WRs and I think you need to give them another year to judge them. It's not just about what the Seahawks need, it's about getting players that can have a impact. Seahawks can get a impact RB picking at 32nd IMO. I don't think you can say that for any other position that matters.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, yes, a good OL can make a running back look good. However you got to consider the best bang for the buck. When your picking 32 (I hope) the best of the OL have been picked and then you have a bunch of players without a lot to separate them.You may pick up that gem of a OL in the 3rd round, who may prove out to be as good as the players picked above him after the 32nd pick.
The really good OL for the Seahawks have been high draft picks Walter Jones at the 6th spot and Steve Hutchinson at 17th spot. Lets just realize that picking at 32nd spot will not get you a great OL or DL, but it may get you a franchise RB.

As for WR, this isn't a good draft for one and the good ones will be gone before the Seahawks pick. Besides the Seahawks have two rookies WRs and I think you need to give them another year to judge them. It's not just about what the Seahawks need, it's about getting players that can have a impact. Seahawks can get a impact RB picking at 32nd IMO. I don't think you can say that for any other position that matters.

I understand that regarding them going early in the 1st round but there are a lot of good late round OL/DL that have been drafted in the first round... Also, teams will usually go in with 2 or 3 top needs and draft BPA when their pick comes to them... I'm not saying that OL is a must draft in the first round, I just don't think Rb is that big of a priority for us...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that regarding them going early in the 1st round but there are a lot of good late round OL/DL that have been drafted in the first round... Also, teams will usually go in with 2 or 3 top needs and draft BPA when their pick comes to them... I'm not saying that OL is a must draft in the first round, I just don't think Rb is that big of a priority for us...

I can see why you think that and it may not be, but consider if Lynch retires or just isn't healthy enough to play,certainly seems to be suffering more then usual this year. That leaves you with Turbin and Micheals. Turbin seems solid and Micheals still is a unknown, neither of them, seems to flash special at this point and with a RB that is worrisome, because RBs usual show they are special early on. This Offense is suppose to be ground and pound, and Lynch makes it happen by fighting for every inch and breaking tackles. I don't see that happening with the backups, I just don't, we would of notice by now, don't you think? So if there is a RB that looks like he could be the real deal and is available at the 32nd pick, I say take him, so the Seahawks can continue with what works.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not Todd McShay or anything, but I can't buy that all the good linemen will be gone by pick 32. Plenty of high quality linemen have been found after that, and this front office in particular has been superb and finding top quality talent later on the draft.

Keep the linemen coming. Both sides of the ball.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not Todd McShay or anything, but I can't buy that all the good linemen will be gone by pick 32. Plenty of high quality linemen have been found after that, and this front office in particular has been superb and finding top quality talent later on the draft.

Keep the linemen coming. Both sides of the ball.

True good OL will still be available, but you'll find that where they go in the draft could be from low 1st round to 4 th round, once you get pass the obvious choices, you get a group where opinons will vary on how good they are. Take Carp for example, most folks felt he would of been available later and that the Seahawks could of had him with their next choice or even in the third round, I tend to agree. Britt may have been available in the 4th perhaps.
The thing is that once you get past the obvious OL it gets foggy, so on one hand you could go with the OL the Seahawks like, one they may be able to pick up in the next round or you could go with what looks like a impact RB without much doubt. Now these impact RBs may have all ready been picked ahead of the Seahawks, which would make my case null and void. I'm just saying if that RB is there...grab him.

Last edited by a moderator: