• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Assessment

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the point I've been trying to make for the past ten years., Most of the media went to Syracuse or UCLA to get a degree in communication and nary a one played a sport of any kind. They fell into a gig and were lucky enough to get picked up by 24/7 or a newspaper and suddenly they're an expert on a professional sport. They spent hundreds of hours "reading" stuff written by people who have been at it longer but were just like them at the start. It wasn't that long ago that a new network started broadcasting in Bristol Connecticut to New England. No one knew one person on their daily or nightly shows but it didn't take long for ESPN to go national and everyone knew them. They literally made guys like Mel Kiper and Rich Eisen.

Bill Belichick has a value system that only he fully understands and he refuses to share it. The experts always said that his linebackers had to be 6'5"+ and 250 lbs.+. Now they say he's changed his value system and they have to be able to cover sideline to sideline with a WR. Here's the question. Did he change his system? Or is Belichick making adjustments to faster WR and TE catching the ball across the middle where the giant run stoppers can't keep up.

BB does things differently for sure. If the first guys taken by him turn out to be studs, the media will all say that they said the picks were odd, but they knew that Bill was again playing chess while everyone else was playing checkers. It's called "Cover My Ass."
I say they are expert at giving an opinion but that assessment is just that opinion. And then media giants lock on to it as if it's gospel. Any of can look at at a top 100 prospect and do a solid write up. Bottom line is the write up does not mean that kid will fit into a particular teams, needs or scheme.

I openly admit our draft has me scratching my head because it does seem odd even for BB. But I fully understand what they did in their unconventional style. Again wait and see, but I see a lot of potential in the draft.