• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Assessment

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know if BB has ever selected two offensive players with the first two picks in the draft??

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isiah Wynn and Sony Michel three years ago . How quick I forget.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on the newest Patriot?

Strengths​

• Has smooth acceleration and deceiving speed. Balanced and very fast with the ball in his hands.
  • Has long arms to stiff-arm defensive backs in the open field. Willing to lower his pads to run through tackles for extra yardage. Goes over the middle, can spin out of tackles and take the big hit.
  • Fits a zone system, can sift through oncoming traffic and explode through tiny creases and cutback lanes. Elite, darting stop-and-go acceleration. Dangerous in the open field.
  • Has elite speed and cutting ability and good hands and toughness. Lacks the ideal size, but has a similar body type to Antonio Brown.
  • Does a nice job locating and tracking deep passes and is a legitimate vertical threat. Willing to go up and attack the ball.
  • Plays fast and confident. Covers a lot of ground in the short half of the field and is slippery after the catch.
  • A savvy, natural pass-catcher with reliable hands and very good focus. Snatches the ball out of the air and shows the concentration to make acrobatic catches look easy.
  • A slippery runner with elusive footwork. Has little to no wasted movements between the reception and burst upfield.

Weaknesses​

• Does not always use his hands to secure deep throws, allowing the ball into his pads and chest.
  • NFL defenders may be able to knock him off his route because of his slight frame.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with this pick.

He only had a hanful of return duties has me slightly concerned.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patriots traded up with the Chiefs to select Baylor WR Tyquan Thornton with the No. 50 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.​

While Thornton's (6'2/183) unofficial 4.21 40, which would have been a Combine record, did not stand up, he still flashed in Indy, running a 4.28 official with a 36.5-inch vertical and 10-foot-10 broad jump. That performance came on the back of an impressive senior season in which he logged a 62-948-10 line as Baylor's leading receiver. Thornton matches his legit deep speed with impressive ball skills that could make him a dangerous field stretcher at the next level, but a slight build, limited play strength, and a bottom-tier agility score could prevent him from developing into more than that. He will push Nelson Agholor for WR3 duties in New England as a rookie.
He's so skinny, does not mean he's not tough just worries me. For me he moves like Moss did just so fluid does not look like hes running fast but he is. Say's he has great hands too, slot WR in NE is projected

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patriots traded up with the Chiefs to select Baylor WR Tyquan Thornton with the No. 50 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.​

While Thornton's (6'2/183) unofficial 4.21 40, which would have been a Combine record, did not stand up, he still flashed in Indy, running a 4.28 official with a 36.5-inch vertical and 10-foot-10 broad jump. That performance came on the back of an impressive senior season in which he logged a 62-948-10 line as Baylor's leading receiver. Thornton matches his legit deep speed with impressive ball skills that could make him a dangerous field stretcher at the next level, but a slight build, limited play strength, and a bottom-tier agility score could prevent him from developing into more than that. He will push Nelson Agholor for WR3 duties in New England as a rookie.
This trade seems a bit odd. First, a fifth rounder to move just 4 slots late in the second. Second, and this probably explains the first, the trade with the Chiefs who by all accounts wanted that same type of player to replace Hill. The second is usually the actions of BB, but in reverse.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With his afterburners, He won't be in the slot. I think he'll be wide causing angst for any CB playing man to man.
Makes sense just repeating what I read.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade seems a bit odd. First, a fifth rounder to move just 4 slots late in the second. Second, and this probably explains the first, the trade with the Chiefs who by all accounts wanted that same type of player to replace Hill. The second is usually the actions of BB, but in reverse.
We had to move up to get past Pittsburgh, who wanted a WR here.

I'm ok with this because this was a targeted pick. We wanted him and got him.
Patriots were determined to get out of the big and slow mold.
This guy starts with fast, has good hands and get's separation. A reach? I'm not quick to judge when it's a guy they really want.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had to move up to get past Pittsburgh, who wanted a WR here.

I'm ok with this because this was a targeted pick. We wanted him and got him.
Patriots were determined to get out of the big and slow mold.
This guy starts with fast, has good hands and get's separation. A reach? I'm not quick to judge when it's a guy they really want.
Honestly, I never use the term "reach" with BB. He gets the guy he wants. He typically splurges using currency already inflated by other value hunting moves.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very interesting draft.

Way funny that the pundits are raving about picks from Houston, Jax, Jets for taking the reporters obvious picksand raping New England for using their own judgement instead of listening to reporters!

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with this pick.

He only had a hanful of return duties has me slightly concerned.
I like the pick at lot. We've needed a receiver with speed and skills for a long while. If he can be as good as he sounds he won't be playing the slot that much.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Groh explains 'why' the Patriots drafted as they did.

Old news. Pundits are getting over themselves.

Did you see McVay said laughing at the pick was misunderstood?
I think he was laughing that he thought nobody else had Strange on his radar.
Hoped to "buy cheap" in 3rd. Really liked the guy.
Did not apologize for being drunk on TV. LOL