• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Assessment

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard not too. I personally was hoping for either LB of Lloyd or Dean and when we traded, even though I loved the trade I was disappointed not to grab one of those 2. When out pick can up again I thought for sure is was going to be Dean... disappointed again. I was probably a little harsh on Strange because I knew nothing about him. But after reading ALOT ON HIM.... I'm down with the selection.
Yeah its the whole "Shock and Awe" of it. I just wish we had an O Line Coach to help him transition

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL Network gave the Patriots the worst grade of round 1(D). Even worse than teams that had no pick! Fuck em!

I'm rooting for Strange to be the next John Hannah!

Strange Days Indeed!
""If you can find the tape, go watch him against South Carolina in 2018. He was probably about 285 pounds but that joker was getting after it against Javon Kinlaw, who was a lot bigger and stronger." -- Scouting director for NFC team"

Do you think writers get mad because they missed something? LOL!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The pick was one of the big surprises of the first round, but one that does make sense. Strange, after all, is a phenomenal player who will be a Day 1 starter in New England and give the Patriots a physical mauler to protect Mac Jones.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matty P the guy who never coached and O Line? Yeah if anyone can make him a top notch guard he seems like the man to do it.
My point being if you can teach a player to beat a block, you should be able to teach a player how to defend said way of beating that block.

Matty P if nothing else is no dummy.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Short guard with short arms
  • Lets his hands get a little wide in pass sets, making his lack of length more distressing
  • Takes inconsistent angles to targets on zone runs, causing him to fall off of some blocks
  • Forward-leaner susceptible to balance issues at contact
  • Inconsistent with cut blocks, despite high number attempted at Georgia Tech
  • Rarely asked to sustain pass protection very long
  • Faced very few skilled interior pass rushers draft grade 6.10
-year starter who has shown overall improvement in all aspects of his game and the position diversity that offensive line coaches love and need. Unfortunately, his lack of foot quickness and arm length make him an unlikely NFL tackle and his core strength and frame deficiencies will make a move to guard very difficult. Ultimately, center might be his only NFL shot. draft grade 5.50

Recognize these guys?
Shaq Mason and Joe Thuney. Cole Strange draft grade 6.29

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zion Johnson and Kenyon Green only guerds picked before Cole Strange

Green:
  • Has a history of opting-in on holding penalties.
  • Enters lateral block fit before finding positioning.
  • Struggled with block sustain in loss to Mississippi State.
  • Requires better feel for best angles as inside-zone blocker.
  • Below-average instincts in pass protection.
  • Slow to activate lateral slide when mirroring.
  • New Mexico twist game gave him trouble.
Johnson:

In space, his limitations become obvious. He'll need to fit into the right scheme that takes advantage of what he does well and diminishes the athletic limitations. He has a ceiling of starting guard in the NFL, but his ability to deal with the athleticism of NFL defensive linemen on all three downs is a concern both as a run blocker and in pass protection

"he struggled with the speed rushers from Florida State to close out the year."
"Team sources call Johnson's tape that of a second-rounder, he could be a late first-round pick.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The f*cking experts can't even agree on the guys size.

He's listed everywhere between 6'3" and 6'6". his weight is everywhere between 301 and 317. W-T-F???????????

I drove to the store and on my to and from, there were two guys who said that ""THEIR"" teams were seriously considering Strange in Round 1 and were hoping he'd still be available in Round 2.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The f*cking experts can't even agree on the guys size.

He's listed everywhere between 6'3" and 6'6". his weight is everywhere between 301 and 317. W-T-F???????????

I drove to the store and on my to and from, there were two guys who said that ""THEIR"" teams were seriously considering Strange in Round 1 and were hoping he'd still be available in Round 2.
I read similar things. As I said this is a wait and see scenario for me.

Rumor is he is already in Foxborough

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL Network gave the Patriots the worst grade of round 1(D). Even worse than teams that had no pick! Fuck em!
Park that link over on the stupid news thread. I get tired of anyone trying to feel good about themselves and their powerful team this time of the year. There's only one award that matters each year, and that ain't awarded in April.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matty P the guy who never coached and O Line? Yeah if anyone can make him a top notch guard he seems like the man to do it.
but we keep hearing how he's an actual rocket scientist... Too bad that means squat on a football field.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here it is in a nutshell IMO. And if I am wrong correct me.

1. The Patriots drafted a position of need and drafted the highest rated player available at that position. But it wasn't thee position of need the pundits declared they needed.

2. There were players rated higher than Strange at different positions, positions of need in accordance with the pundits ie WR CB LD Edge. But because BB drafted IOL a position of need those higher rated players make this a bad selection or a reach.

3. So the Pats fill a position of need with the highest rated player available at that position pick up two more draft picks but because it was not WR CB LB or edge it's a bad choice.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here it is in a nutshell IMO. And if I am wrong correct me.

1. The Patriots drafted a position of need and drafted the highest rated player available at that position. But it wasn't thee position of need the pundits declared they needed.

2. There were players rated higher than Strange at different positions, positions of need in accordance with the pundits ie WR CB LD Edge. But because BB drafted IOL a position of need those higher rated players make this a bad selection or a reach.

3. So the Pats fill a position of need with the highest rated player available at that position pick up two more draft picks but because it was not WR CB LB or edge it's a bad choice.
That pretty much sums it up!
Bill should have taken a poor defensive back and figured out how to run the offense without a guard.....
The pundits don't like disagreement. Another good ol' boys club.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patriots traded up with the Chiefs to select Baylor WR Tyquan Thornton with the No. 50 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.​

While Thornton's (6'2/183) unofficial 4.21 40, which would have been a Combine record, did not stand up, he still flashed in Indy, running a 4.28 official with a 36.5-inch vertical and 10-foot-10 broad jump. That performance came on the back of an impressive senior season in which he logged a 62-948-10 line as Baylor's leading receiver. Thornton matches his legit deep speed with impressive ball skills that could make him a dangerous field stretcher at the next level, but a slight build, limited play strength, and a bottom-tier agility score could prevent him from developing into more than that. He will push Nelson Agholor for WR3 duties in New England as a rookie.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
should have taken pickens with Ga