• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft 2019

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see how Hurd, Samuel, and Taylor fuction with Garoppolo for an extended period of time....which may never happen. The only true burner at wideout is Goodwin, and he's looking more and more likely to be expendable. Without a second rounder next year, I just don't think SF has real draft capitol to spend on another receiver, whether it's a trade or a selection.

Well then not being able to stay on the field has to be factored in.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then not being able to stay on the field has to be factored in.

It does, but AFAIC, this rebuilt has gone exactly how I wanted it - put together a dominant, top-5 type talent defense and get your franchise QB. All that's left really are a few tweaks (secondary and O-line) and I believe we're set. I believe we need to see the receivers we have before you go back to the well.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was also a poorly thrown ball. He was wide open running down the field. Had Jimmy G hit him in stride it was 6 points

While that's true, the QB ain't gonna be hitting every wideout in stride with every throw. The fact is, it's a ball that shoulda been caught, period. These drops/poor and incorrect routes/failure to be aggressive on passes their way is part of the reason why Garoppolo has not developed more chemistry with these guys. They can be drive killers.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While that's true, the QB ain't gonna be hitting every wideout in stride with every throw. The fact is, it's a ball that shoulda been caught, period. These drops/poor and incorrect routes/failure to be aggressive on passes their way is part of the reason why Garoppolo has not developed more chemistry with these guys. They can be drive killers.

Of course not. Nobody throws perfect passes every time. I was just commenting on that throw. It was known that Jimmy G's deep ball was not one of his strengths coming from New England. He isn't going to mimic Patrick Mahomes. That is okay. I will live with that for everything else he brings.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does, but AFAIC, this rebuilt has gone exactly how I wanted it - put together a dominant, top-5 type talent defense and get your franchise QB. All that's left really are a few tweaks (secondary and O-line) and I believe we're set. I believe we need to see the receivers we have before you go back to the well.

Well I think I've seen enough of Pettis already to know he doesn't have it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yep, this is about how i look at it too. Totally happy about the top 5 type defense and while not a 'franchise QB, happy to have JG. For those who do think JG is franchise, fine and no need to debate.

No dobut the offense to date has NOT been "play-off quality", but there's more than enough season to improve. Also agree we need to see more of these receivers before trading for one or spending high picks for one. Not saying don't ever get a top flight NFL WR, but saying not yet. We should bolster the O-line and CB spots first, IMO we're more vulnerable to injury there.

What makes this passing offensive work is spreading the ball around. So now isn't the time to spend on a top WR who won't get the "lion's share" anyway.

BTW - totally surprised at how well the O-line has played to date.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and IF they do trade for a WR, that'll tell us a lot about Pettis. Pettis will be another failed pick by Shannahan, joining Joe Williams and CJ Beathard.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and IF they do trade for a WR, that'll tell us a lot about Pettis. Pettis will be another failed pick by Shannahan, joining Joe Williams and CJ Beathard.

I disagree completely. Getting Sanders says that Pettis isn’t ready NOW, not that he is a bust.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I disagree completely. Getting Sanders says that Pettis isn’t ready NOW, not that he is a bust.

If not now, then when?

This is Pettis' second year, and he should've been able to flash enough times whether in games or practices. So depite his injury last season, Shannahan now knows enough about his potential. If Pettis had shown enough potential, there is no reason to trade away a 3rd AND 4th for an aging WR.

If you thought Pettis is on the right trajectory, then you'd be thinking he'll REALLY take off by now. If this was the case, you wouldn't trade away a 3rd AND 4th.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not now, then when?

This is Pettis' second year, and he should've been able to flash enough times whether in games or practices. So depite his injury last season, Shannahan now knows enough about his potential. If Pettis had shown enough potential, there is no reason to trade away a 3rd AND 4th for an aging WR.

If you thought Pettis is on the right trajectory, then you'd be thinking he'll REALLY take off by now. If this was the case, you wouldn't trade away a 3rd AND 4th.

He's had exactly 22 games in his entire NFL career. He has shown glimpses. Burying him already seems a bit presumptuous without actually allowing him time to develop.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's had exactly 22 games in his entire NFL career. He has shown glimpses. Burying him already seems a bit presumptuous without actually allowing him time to develop.

If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat it's a rat.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

If you had 22 games, pre-season games, and countless practices, that's more than enough time to show "glimpses" of your skills. If you "glimpsed" enough potential to now, no way the 49ers make this trade. NFL teams give their high draft picks an extra benefit of the doubt, but they STILL made this trade anyway.

Not an indictment of Pettis, but of Shannahan for drafting him too high.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's also reasonable to ask if Sanders is going to be available to play as the season goes along. Sanders put in an incredible rehab effort to return from the torn Achilles he suffered in December by the start of the season, but he has already missed practice time this year with quadriceps and knee issues, the latter of which knocked him out of a game. He doesn't necessarily need to be a deep threat, but he has caught one pass more than 20 yards downfield this season, and it came in the opener. The 32-year-old played just one full 16-game season across his four previous chances in Denver.

Unlike Sanu, though, the 49ers aren't really getting a financial bargain. Sanders has just over $6 million in prorated salary due over the remainder of 2019. And while the Patriots have the option of paying Sanu a team-friendly salary in 2020, Sanders is a free agent after the year. Combined with the chances that Sanders will miss time during the season, I think you can raise questions about whether this is good value for the 49ers.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

answer the question........When?

How much MORE time will he need?

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
answer the question........When?

How much MORE time will he need?

Well, Armstead looked to be a bust for the first couple seasons with a multitude of injuries and bouts of ineffectiveness that spanned over 4 years. However, somehow in year 5, he has graded out to be one of the most productive players on our vaunted defense. Ward is another player who has been hurt and bounced around different positions for the first 4 years of his career and in year 5 is playing his best ball as the perfect coverage safety in our defense.

Not every pick comes out the gate a la Bosa. Some need time to develop into what you need them to be.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Armstead looked to be a bust for the first couple seasons with a multitude of injuries and bouts of ineffectiveness that spanned over 4 years. However, somehow in year 5, he has graded out to be one of the most productive players on our vaunted defense. Ward is another player who has been hurt and bounced around different positions for the first 4 years of his career and in year 5 is playing his best ball as the perfect coverage safety in our defense.

Not every pick comes out the gate a la Bosa. Some need time to develop into what you need them to be.

I have my doubts that Pettis can get it done but this trade I feel is more like the team seeing they can win now but they can't win now and let Pettis, Samuels and Hurd develop. They need a better option to do that and Sanders is a better option. I don't feel like this is a bad deal because he is a free agent but more like a deal that won't tie up cap space for a long time which they will need to sign guys like Buckner.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have my doubts that Pettis can get it done but this trade I feel is more like the team seeing they can win now but they can't win now and let Pettis, Samuels and Hurd develop. They need a better option to do that and Sanders is a better option. I don't feel like this is a bad deal because he is a free agent but more like a deal that won't tie up cap space for a long time which they will need to sign guys like Buckner.

Completely agree with your assessment of why the trade happened.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Ok thanks for answering the question. Yes, typically the lower you get drafted, the more time you need. But Pettis was drafted in Round 2, high enough that Shannahan would know by now if he's 'flashed' enough?

So i'll say this again, Pettis was drafted too high because he needs 4 years of development. Armstead and Ward were also drafted too high, this is well accepted. Not knocking Pettis himself, but saying this trade reflects directly on Pettis.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1