• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm 2024

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant starter as position player. If we sign Snelk we don’t need another of those. I meant a legit starting hitter. Maybe Roberts can be had after he just had a down year
I assume you mean Robert. That said, is that where we need a hitter? With Yaz/Lee/Ramos/McCray already on board? I guess you could include Yaz in the trade....

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume you mean Robert. That said, is that where we need a hitter? With Yaz/Lee/Ramos/McCray already on board? I guess you could include Yaz in the trade....
Maybe not an outfielder then. I guess 2b? It’s tricky we have good to ok hitters at every spot but no great ones. We are all frustrated y the lack of speed and RISP hitting, feels like we need more offense, is running it back with this same bunch enough?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not an outfielder then. I guess 2b? It’s tricky we have good to ok hitters at every spot but no great ones. We are all frustrated y the lack of speed and RISP hitting, feels like we need more offense, is running it back with this same bunch enough?
Well, it wouldn't be the same bunch really....Lee should be healthy, full years from Ramos and Fitz...maybe sign Kim?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it wouldn't be the same bunch really....Lee should be healthy, full years from Ramos and Fitz...maybe sign Kim?
Kim is hardly a big bat. And are Ramos and Fitz going to be .800 OPS guys all year? I guess it’s how we plan to do it. 2010 style, dominant pitching and decent hitting with no superstar level hitters

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kim is hardly a big bat. And are Ramos and Fitz going to be .800 OPS guys all year? I guess it’s how we plan to do it. 2010 style, dominant pitching and decent hitting with no superstar level hitters
Unless Ramos takes a leap

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with the position I actually think that your references to 2010 are very wrong. Especially when it comes to pitching. When this season started all you kept posting were comments about how the pitching had changed. All about the third time through the order ..... etc etc etc.

And you were right! Stop contradicting your own position ... you were spot on ....

Just as a comparison ....

In 2010 our top 4 pitchers (all starters) logged in 838 innings and that DID'N'T include Bumgardner.
In 2024 our top 4 pitchers (with 4 games left) logged in 551 innings.

This is a drastic change from the pitching format of our 2010 team. As you said ... it is changing and we will never see the 2010 format again ....

But pitching will always be the key ..... but now it's much more than just what we used to call the starting rotation .... it goes much deeper than that now .... 2010 is not a good comparison point in 2024 .... the change is much more than 'minor' .... almost 300 innings of more ....

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with the position I actually think that your references to 2010 are very wrong. Especially when it comes to pitching. When this season started all you kept posting were comments about how the pitching had changed. All about the third time through the order ..... etc etc etc.

And you were right! Stop contradicting your own position ... you were spot on ....

Just as a comparison ....

In 2010 our top 4 pitchers (all starters) logged in 838 innings and that DID'N'T include Bumgardner.
In 2024 our top 4 pitchers (with 4 games left) logged in 551 innings.

This is a drastic change from the pitching format of our 2010 team. As you said ... it is changing and we will never see the 2010 format again ....

But pitching will always be the key ..... but now it's much more than just what we used to call the starting rotation .... it goes much deeper than that now .... 2010 is not a good comparison point in 2024 .... the change is much more than 'minor' .... almost 300 innings of more ....
I don't think we're disagreeing much here, I don't see a contradiction...yes pitching is different today, that doesn't change the fact that we should still make that the primary focus of the team to succeed. Maybe the way pitchers are used is different but we should try to be one of the best pitching teams in baseball, that's our advantage with the park, that's what's worked in the past, that's where we can build.

Historically we draft and develop pitchers much better than hitters, and of course we have trouble signing big time hitters as free agents. If we are going to win titles it will have to be pitching and defense and decent hitting, like 2010.

And look at Logan Webb, he'd fit right in as a horse in the earlier era. Snell is the opposite, a 5-6 inning guy...ok so make sure the pen is loaded too. But sign up big name pitchers, keep drafting good ones, etc.

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants (Scottsdale)

Bryce Eldridge, 1B (No. 1/MLB No. 50) (19 years old, ended season at AAA)

Bo Davidson, OF (No. 26) (22 years old, ended season at A- San Jose)

Marques Johnson, RHP (24 years old, obtained from Boston in 2023, spent almost all of 2024 on IL)

William Kempner, RHP (23 years old, drafted 3rd round in 2022, did not play in 2024)

Cale Lansville, RHP (21 years old, 14th round pick in 2023, ended season at A- San Jose)

Elijah Pleasants, RHP (24 years old, 36th round pick by KC in 2018. Injury issues, has only pitched in 2024, last at San Jose)

Charlie Szykowny, 3B (24 years old, 9th round draft pick, hit well in San Jose, not so well at Eugene A+)

Tyler Vogel, RHP

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford just had shoulder surgery. He will likely miss all of 2025.

Still too early to call him a bust (he was getting helium before he went down), but this dude just can’t stay on the field.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just one guy’s ranking, but it comes from BR…

Tell me again why FZ deserves to keep his job?

I am no FZ apologist (other than apologizing for some of his moves), but only 8 of the top 100 prospects are scheduled to play in the AFL. It is usually a showcase for a FEW top prospects (one thinks of Judge, Alonzo, etc) but mostly for up and coming players or players who are recovering from injury/surgery. The Giants have a couple of those at the AFL.

Some of those who might have gone to the AFL, like McCray or Fitz, wound up being bumped up to the major league level before expectations. And the pitchers like Black or Roupp or Birdsong, well, they just need some rest and to strengthen some areas for next season.

I have been disappointed over the years in the players that the Giants have sent to the AFL. I do recall major disappointment in Ramos' time in the AFL, but it may have helped him see what he needed to work on. The defense and arm were there, but he hit under .200 for the six weeks. Still, overall, this batch outside Eldridge does not look very promising.

The positive about the AFL is that the players get a lot of hands on coaching, more than usual, from a variety of sources.