• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2023)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this. Sanchez is a former high prospect who had some early success in the bigs. He wasn’t really on my off season radar because I didn’t think he would consider us because a minor league flier deal is really all I wanted to offer him and I didn’t really see him accepting something like that. Getting him on that exact contract is great, imho.

Unfortunately, it is further evidence that the org is adjacent to throwing in the towel on Bart.
And Sanchez has an opt out date of May 1st. Unless Bart's bat explodes (in a good way) or the pitching staff suddenly raves about his work behind the plate, he'll likely switch places with Sanchez by May 1st.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Sanchez has an opt out date of May 1st. Unless Bart's bat explodes (in a good way) or the pitching staff suddenly raves about his work behind the plate, he'll likely switch places with Sanchez by May 1st.
Another way to look at it is that Sanchez is nothing more than an idle threat to Bart. The org may have signed him with the 100% intention of releasing him at his opt-out date just to add extra fire under Bart’s ass.

:noidea:

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this. Sanchez is a former high prospect who had some early success in the bigs. He wasn’t really on my off season radar because I didn’t think he would consider us because a minor league flier deal is really all I wanted to offer him and I didn’t really see him accepting something like that. Getting him on that exact contract is great, imho.

Unfortunately, it is further evidence that the org is adjacent to throwing in the towel on Bart.
Hadn't thought about it that way but I guess so...

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another way to look at it is that Sanchez is nothing more than an idle threat to Bart. The org may have signed him with the 100% intention of releasing him at his opt-out date just to add extra fire under Bart’s ass.

:noidea:

Could it be that Posey's shoes are too big for Bart to fill? How do you replace a Hall of Famer? Hopefully with another HOFer. But maybe that is too intimidating for Bart. Or maybe he just isn't all that skilled in the way the Giants are looking for. Or maybe they be jimmyjacking him. Work on framing! Work on taking pitches! Work on throws to 2nd!

Maybe the best we can do is a couple of pretty good defensive catchers who hit a little bit, and hopefully develop someone who can do both.

This just publicly looks bad.

And they are considering giving FZ an extension? Why?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could it be that Posey's shoes are too big for Bart to fill? How do you replace a Hall of Famer? Hopefully with another HOFer. But maybe that is too intimidating for Bart. Or maybe he just isn't all that skilled in the way the Giants are looking for. Or maybe they be jimmyjacking him. Work on framing! Work on taking pitches! Work on throws to 2nd!

Maybe the best we can do is a couple of pretty good defensive catchers who hit a little bit, and hopefully develop someone who can do both.

This just publicly looks bad.

And they are considering giving FZ an extension? Why?
Because people are still going to the park and subscribing to MLBtv (yes, I caved) while slashing the payroll to middle of the road.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because people are still going to the park and subscribing to MLBtv (yes, I caved) while slashing the payroll to middle of the road.

We just cut out our AT&T U-Verse (saving almost $200/month)

Now looking at options.

Don't like NBATV, as all the local Dubs games are blacked out.

Not sure about the MLBTV whether that is also the case.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just cut out our AT&T U-Verse (saving almost $200/month)

Now looking at options.

Don't like NBATV, as all the local Dubs games are blacked out.

Not sure about the MLBTV whether that is also the case.
I get all the Padre games blacked out (and thus, all the SF/SD games), so I would assume that if you are in the Giants market, MLBtv is not an option for you.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is. Unless they consider that area Oakland's market only.
I am pretty sure he is Giants (Tahoe and Mammouth are both Giants territory), but I don’t know if he is in blackout territory.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am pretty sure he is Giants (Tahoe and Mammouth are both Giants territory), but I don’t know if he is in blackout territory.
Interesting that Mammoth falls under Giants' territory. That area is geographically closer but I think it is faster to drive to Los Angeles from there. I know people from Bishop and, from what I understand, that city has more Dodger fans than Giant fans.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cut the cord a couple of months ago and subscribe to YouTubeTV.

It's pretty wonderful. and a LOT cheaper than Comcast.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sacramento started their season a day after the Giants did. Here is what their Opening Day roster looked like:
Pitchers (17) - Melvin Adon; Tanner Andrews; Tristan Beck; RJ Dabovich; Nick Duron; Aaron Fletcher; Jorge Guzman; Sean Hjelle; Kyle Harrison; Trevor Hildenberger; Mauricio Llovera; Sam Long; Joey Marciano; Kade McClure; Cole Waites; Ryan Walker; Keaton Winn
Catchers (2) - Ricardo Genoves; Austin Wynns
Infielders (5) - Armando Alvarez; Shane Matheny; Ford Proctor; Casey Schmitt; Will Wilson
Outfielders (4) - Clint Coulter; Michael Gigliotti; Bryce Johnson; Heliot Ramos
7 Day IL (7) - Sam Delaplane, rp; Sean Newcomb, sp; Ljay Newsome, rp; Logan Shore, rp; Miguel Yajure, rp; Isan Diaz, 2nd; Donovan Walton, ss
60 Day IL (4) - Darien Nunez, rp; Joe Ross, sp; Brett Cumberland, c; Ronald Guzman, 1st
Reserved List (1) - Gary Sanchez, c

Nice to see that Matheny is getting a shot at AAA after the year he had in Richmond last year but he is a bit old for prospect status at this time. And I'm a bit peeved that Tyler Fitzgerald is back at AA. I thought he hit well enough there last year to have earned a promotion to AAA.
Also, way too many reclamation projects in that pitching staff. Guys like Clay Helvey, Blake Rivera and Randy Rodriguez earned promotions to AAA this year. They couldn't fit those 3 in that staff? They really need all of Andrews, Duron, Fletcher, Guzman, Hildenberger, Llovera and McClure?

Also, it should be noted that Michael Stryffeler and Daniel Tillo have yet to be assigned to rosters. I wonder if both are still injured and are rehabbing in extended spring training.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sacramento started their season a day after the Giants did. Here is what their Opening Day roster looked like:
Pitchers (17) - Melvin Adon; Tanner Andrews; Tristan Beck; RJ Dabovich; Nick Duron; Aaron Fletcher; Jorge Guzman; Sean Hjelle; Kyle Harrison; Trevor Hildenberger; Mauricio Llovera; Sam Long; Joey Marciano; Kade McClure; Cole Waites; Ryan Walker; Keaton Winn
Catchers (2) - Ricardo Genoves; Austin Wynns
Infielders (5) - Armando Alvarez; Shane Matheny; Ford Proctor; Casey Schmitt; Will Wilson
Outfielders (4) - Clint Coulter; Michael Gigliotti; Bryce Johnson; Heliot Ramos
7 Day IL (7) - Sam Delaplane, rp; Sean Newcomb, sp; Ljay Newsome, rp; Logan Shore, rp; Miguel Yajure, rp; Isan Diaz, 2nd; Donovan Walton, ss
60 Day IL (4) - Darien Nunez, rp; Joe Ross, sp; Brett Cumberland, c; Ronald Guzman, 1st
Reserved List (1) - Gary Sanchez, c

Nice to see that Matheny is getting a shot at AAA after the year he had in Richmond last year but he is a bit old for prospect status at this time. And I'm a bit peeved that Tyler Fitzgerald is back at AA. I thought he hit well enough there last year to have earned a promotion to AAA.
Also, way too many reclamation projects in that pitching staff. Guys like Clay Helvey, Blake Rivera and Randy Rodriguez earned promotions to AAA this year. They couldn't fit those 3 in that staff? They really need all of Andrews, Duron, Fletcher, Guzman, Hildenberger, Llovera and McClure?

Also, it should be noted that Michael Stryffeler and Daniel Tillo have yet to be assigned to rosters. I wonder if both are still injured and are rehabbing in extended spring training.
And is Bryce johnson back with the big club?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And is Bryce johnson back with the big club?