• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2023)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of corner infielders that can hit, Armando Alvarez is one player that the Giants have in AAA who doesn't get much talk about him but whom I'd like to see the Giants give a shot. He is a bit old for prospect status (29 years old as of July) and has yet to play in the big leagues but he is raking in AAA. Unfortunately, he's lost some time to an injury this year, but since he's gotten healthy he has hit .307/.359/.581 in 51 games with the RiverCats. He signed as a minor league free agent this past offseason, after spending 7 years in the Yankees' farm system. A late bloomer with the bat, he didn't really start to come around offensively until last year. The Yankees didn't give him a chance despite strong numbers with Scranton last year but I hope the Giants give him a shot. He couldn't be worse than some of the veteran castoffs they've already tried.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were supposed to get younger and more athletic. (sigh)
To the Giants' defense, they have brought up guys like Schmitt, Matos, Villar, Bailey, Meckler, etc. They are giving the rookies at least some chances. Unfortunately, it is generally not paying off for them, yet.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the Giants' defense, they have brought up guys like Schmitt, Matos, Villar, Bailey, Meckler, etc. They are giving the rookies at least some chances. Unfortunately, it is generally not paying off for them, yet.
Even with the young guys, there seems to be a general lack of speed.

Last night, the Phillies scored a run on two hits. Single, move to 2nd, single RBI

The Giants had three straight singles to the outfield, and no runs were scored. Why? Conservative 3b coach? Or general lack of speed? Or both.

This team usually takes four hits to score a run (or one with a homer). That is bound to lead to prolonged slumps. Speed doesn't slump.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with the young guys, there seems to be a general lack of speed.

Last night, the Phillies scored a run on two hits. Single, move to 2nd, single RBI

The Giants had three straight singles to the outfield, and no runs were scored. Why? Conservative 3b coach? Or general lack of speed? Or both.

This team usually takes four hits to score a run (or one with a homer). That is bound to lead to prolonged slumps. Speed doesn't slump.
There does not seem to be any kind of emphasis on speed or smart baserunning (or even aggressive baserunning) on this team. The Giants are last in the league in stolen bases (95 less than the league leader, the Reds). I don't know if its the players that they acquire or an emphasis on conservative baserunning but, either way, it reflects the organizational philosophy on this subject.
As cal and I have discussed before, FZ's "promises" don't seem too genuine. So when he said that was what would be the focus (younger and more athletic), I was skeptical. I would believe it when I saw it. They seem to be making some sort of youth push but the more athletic part, as you point out, is lacking.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Haines said Carson Whisenhunt is doing well in his rehab for an elbow sprain. He should be ready for a normal spring training. Very good news for a lefty starter who likely would have reached Triple-A this year if he had been healthy.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Haines said Carson Whisenhunt is doing well in his rehab for an elbow sprain. He should be ready for a normal spring training. Very good news for a lefty starter who likely would have reached Triple-A this year if he had been healthy.
I expect him to start the year in the minors, but to be given a shot during the year for a full rotation shot.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants say Bryce Johnson cleared waivers and was outrighted to Triple-A, so he’ll stay with organization for now. He was DFA’d earlier in the week when Mitch Haniger returned.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
speaking of, how much more DeJong do we have to endure??
Amazing how he debuted vs how he has performed since. Not sure I can name a more drastic “flash in the pan” than him.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants say Bryce Johnson cleared waivers and was outrighted to Triple-A, so he’ll stay with organization for now. He was DFA’d earlier in the week when Mitch Haniger returned.
He can reject the outright assignment since he was previously dfa'd but I doubt he will do so.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing how he debuted vs how he has performed since. Not sure I can name a more drastic “flash in the pan” than him.
His debut may have been the worst thing for him. He may have increased the internal pressure to keep his performance at that level and sunk himself instead.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of like his whole career. His first season was terrific, his second season was less so, after that it was Wile E. Coyote right off the cliff on a defective ACME rocket.

1693762822596.png

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of like his whole career. His first season was terrific, his second season was less so, after that it was Wile E. Coyote right off the cliff on a defective ACME rocket.

View attachment 339296
The Giants are being dumb with him. Just let him go and bring up Fitzgerald. Seriously, how could he be any worse?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants are being dumb with him. Just let him go and bring up Fitzgerald. Seriously, how could he be any worse?
I have/had no problem with them signing DeJung. But it is beyond the point of folding that hand. He has been jettisoned by 2 teams already this year. Tossing him in the muck is not an admission of failure, it is just an admission that “yup, he done”.

I have never seen Fitz play, so I won’t attack or defend the org’s decision to not promote him. But on the surface, I agree, it couldn’t hurt. Unless they REALLY like him and they just want to start his clock with this year. But I can’t really defend that strategy with the evidence we have access to, sooooo…