• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2022)

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants have apparently signed Taiwanese prospect Chen-Hsun Lee (I have also seen him referred to as Lee Chen-Hsun). He is a 20 yo International amateur, but is supposed to be a pretty highly regarded prospect.

San Francisco Giants expected to sign Chen-Hsun Lee​

The San Francisco Giants are set to land one of the more interesting pitchers in the upcoming international signing period.

According to TSNA.com, the Giants are set to sign Taiwanese pitcher Chen-Hsun Lee during the next international signing period. He will reportedly receive a $650,000 signing bonus.

Chen-Hsun Lee intriguing project for San Francisco Giants​

Lee had generated plenty of interest heading into this signing period. Teams from Nippon Professional Baseball were attempting to sign Lee, and other major league teams had been eyeing him as well. The Giants were reportedly interested in bringing him into the organization since November with negotiations beginning at that point.

It is easy to see why the Giants, and other teams, would be interested in Lee. The 20 year old has a fastball that sits in the mid 90s and could add more velocity as he is 6’4″ tall and weighs 205 pounds. As he fills out a bit more and adds strength, his fastball could get into the upper 90s. Lee has also been on the radar for some time since he was throwing in the 90s as a 17 year old in the Palomino World Series.

There are some concerns as well. Lee has already had Tommy John surgery, going under the knife back in 2019. While he has been able to return and show that velocity once more, it is fair to wonder if this will be a concern moving forward.

Lee is a gamble that the Giants need to take. He could easily develop into a solid piece for a future rotation at a relative bargain price. The Giants will need to take their time, but Lee is the sort of prospect that could pay off.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

San Francisco Giants expected to sign Chen-Hsun Lee​

The San Francisco Giants are set to land one of the more interesting pitchers in the upcoming international signing period.

According to TSNA.com, the Giants are set to sign Taiwanese pitcher Chen-Hsun Lee during the next international signing period. He will reportedly receive a $650,000 signing bonus.

Chen-Hsun Lee intriguing project for San Francisco Giants​

Lee had generated plenty of interest heading into this signing period. Teams from Nippon Professional Baseball were attempting to sign Lee, and other major league teams had been eyeing him as well. The Giants were reportedly interested in bringing him into the organization since November with negotiations beginning at that point.

It is easy to see why the Giants, and other teams, would be interested in Lee. The 20 year old has a fastball that sits in the mid 90s and could add more velocity as he is 6’4″ tall and weighs 205 pounds. As he fills out a bit more and adds strength, his fastball could get into the upper 90s. Lee has also been on the radar for some time since he was throwing in the 90s as a 17 year old in the Palomino World Series.

There are some concerns as well. Lee has already had Tommy John surgery, going under the knife back in 2019. While he has been able to return and show that velocity once more, it is fair to wonder if this will be a concern moving forward.

Lee is a gamble that the Giants need to take. He could easily develop into a solid piece for a future rotation at a relative bargain price. The Giants will need to take their time, but Lee is the sort of prospect that could pay off.

Sounds like a good signing, but does it seem that the Giants really gravitate toward TJ repaired pitchers?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
International signing day:
  • Rayner Arias, OF, Dominican Republic, Giants ($2.8MM) [MLB Pipeline #15, BA #8]
will dig out more information on Not Joaquin.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The son of a former Minor League player and current scout, Arias grew up in the game, and it shows.
The athletic teen displays an advanced baseball IQ, plus makeup and leadership qualities that set him apart because he never seems overmatched in any situation.

On the field, Arias has a chance to build at least three above-average tools -- hit, power and arm -- and displays a strong work ethic that wows scouts. He reminds some evaluators of a young Eloy Jiménez. Arias moves well enough to be a solid defender in the outfield, and his arm will play at multiple positions. The teen also shows an advanced approach at the plate and has a good feel for the strike zone.

A reminder: these intl signings are always 16, so it'll be 4-5 years at best before he's ready to contribute in SF.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good that we are increasing our international presence.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per source, the SFGiants also signed Venezuelan shortstop Yosneiker Rivas for $1 million today. Seems like Rivas and Rayner Arias will be the only seven-figure deals this cycle.

Since so little is known about Rayner Arias and Yosneiker Rivas' abilities at this moment, neither will likely rank on SF Giants prospect lists until player evaluators and scouts see them in action at spring training and this minor-league season, where they will likely make their professional debuts at the Dominican Summer League. Clearly, the Giants believe both players have the potential to be top prospects, and time will tell if they can live up to those expectations.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not Giants related, but the Padres got the unquestioned prize of this year’s crop. Catcher Ethan Salas from Venezuela. He cost them almost their entire international pool to sign him (5.6M).

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it REALLY a crappy mood if he just asked a question?
Having talked him off from The Bridge multiple times in the past, I recognize the symptoms and the tells.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having talked him off from The Bridge multiple times in the past, I recognize the symptoms and the tells.
meh

I often will post led by my emotions (I look at this place like a bar, where we are just shooting shit over a beer). I dont really look at it like some kind of academic think tank.

That said, I stand behind my “question” about how signing the #15 prospect is a sign that the org is “increasing our international presence”. We typically get 2-3 top 30-ish international prospects. Iirc, Cabrera, Luciano and Fox (maybe Villalona?) are really the only BIG prospects we have ever really signed from this market

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh

I often will post led by my emotions (I look at this place like a bar, where we are just shooting shit over a beer). I dont really look at it like some kind of academic think tank.

That said, I stand behind my “question” about how signing the #15 prospect is a sign that the org is “increasing our international presence”. We typically get 2-3 top 30-ish international prospects. Iirc, Cabrera, Luciano and Fox (maybe Villalona?) are really the only BIG prospects we have ever really signed from this market
Cheez, a guy can't bust some cookies here without getting heat.

Arias, Rivas, Chen-Hsun Lee. That's "increasing our international presence" this year over zero. I didn't realize my posts were going to get minimal interpretative slack. It's like talking to my wife.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cheez, a guy can't bust some cookies here without getting heat.

Arias, Rivas, Chen-Hsun Lee. That's "increasing our international presence" this year over zero. I didn't realize my posts were going to get minimal interpretative slack. It's like talking to my wife.
911? We have an emergency! Please send a WAHHHH-mbulance ASAP!