• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2022)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He actually looks like a decent pickup, at least offensively. Hey, FZ has his two outfielders!

And here is who the Giants are sending back to the Reds in that trade

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here is who the Giants are sending back to the Reds in that trade

WTF? We give up a legit, non-40 prospect for a strings attached 40-prospect?

This makes absolutely zero sense.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He actually looks like a decent pickup, at least offensively. Hey, FZ has his two outfielders!

Hey, .969 OPS in 101 PA's last year in AAA. BBRef says he can play 1B and C, too. 6'4", 215lb. Good lottery ticket.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several MiLB signings today:

IF Brady Whalen
P Ray Burgos
P Ljay Newsome
3B Armando Alvarez
P Nick Duron
C Ricardo Genoves.

Some of them include camp invites.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several MiLB signings today:

IF Brady Whalen
P Ray Burgos
P Ljay Newsome
3B Armando Alvarez
P Nick Duron
C Ricardo Genoves.

Some of them include camp invites.
Interesting signings.

Whalen is mainly a 1st baseman with not a lot of power but showed the ability to get on base in 2022. A 12th round pick out of high school in 2016, the Cardinal stuck with him for quite a few years. He didn't show much of anything offensively until this year and never played above A ball until his 29 game stint at Springfield for the last month of 2022. I assume he'll replace Tostado at 1st base in Richmond or maybe Eugene.

Burgos is another high school draft pick from 2016, by the Indians in the 18th round. His issue has been staying healthy. He didn't even get to pitch professionally until 2018 and has a total of 171.2 IP under his belt to date. 2022 saw his first year of pitching in more than 13 games in a season where he came out of the bullpen for the Indian's high A affiliate for 37 games. He posted a 1.138 WHIP, 2.08 ERA and 9.3 K/9. A lefty, I would think he'd push for a spot in a crowded Richmond bullpen.

Newsome is another pitcher who's had problems staying healthy. When he was active, he spent all of his 2020 and 2021 seasons with the Mariners. He didn't show much in 30.1 IP with them. The Cardinals signed him for 2022 and only got into 11 games (12.1 IP) across three levels with them. He combined for a 4.38 ERA, 1.459 WHIP and 8.8 K/9. The righty is still somewhat young (26) but he'll be hard pressed to make the RiverCats' roster.

Alvarez, a Yankee draftee, spent last year in AAA and slashed .278/.319/.525 in 299 PAs. Primarily a 3rd baseman (but, surprise!, has played some at 2nd base), I'm a bit disappointed in this signing as I had hoped Schmitt would man the hot corner with Sacramento.

Duron, a Salinas native, didn't get very far with the Red Sox, who drafted him in the 35th round in 2015. He started strong but saw his 2016 lost to injury, looked decent in short A ball in 2017 but looked poor in 2018. He started 2019 in indy ball and latched on with the Mariners to end that season. He was decent with their AA team in 2021 but got knocked around in his first taste of AAA. The Phillies signed him for 2022 and he threw beter with their AAA affiliate. In 52 games, he posted a 3.18 ERA, 1.522 WHIP and 11.7 K/9. He got into one game with the Phillies. Another arm to possibly make the AAA squad in 2023.

We are all familiar with Genoves. He was okay last year offensively and the Giants lack upper minors catching. Hopefully, he gets another shot at AAA in 2023.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Ws are absolutely shitting the bed, I've been reading about the prospects. Here's a writeup about Schmitt:

Giants 3B prospect Casey Schmitt is one of the best defenders in the minor leagues. With a plus arm, fantastic footwork, silky smooth hands and impressive range, Schmitt is a human highlight reel. Schmitt was tasked with the job of filling in at shortstop when Marco Luciano went down. Though it seems like the Giants still consider Schmitt a third baseman longterm, he flashed ridiculous ability at short. Schmitt gets great reads off the bat, usually crashing in quickly while putting himself in positions to make a clean pick with extreme confidence in his ability to throw on the run. Schmitt was also the closer at San Diego State with a low 90s fastball. Suffices to say, the arm strength translates to the infield.

I can't embed the clips, but he's ridiculous.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Ws are absolutely shitting the bed, I've been reading about the prospects. Here's a writeup about Schmitt:

Giants 3B prospect Casey Schmitt is one of the best defenders in the minor leagues. With a plus arm, fantastic footwork, silky smooth hands and impressive range, Schmitt is a human highlight reel. Schmitt was tasked with the job of filling in at shortstop when Marco Luciano went down. Though it seems like the Giants still consider Schmitt a third baseman longterm, he flashed ridiculous ability at short. Schmitt gets great reads off the bat, usually crashing in quickly while putting himself in positions to make a clean pick with extreme confidence in his ability to throw on the run. Schmitt was also the closer at San Diego State with a low 90s fastball. Suffices to say, the arm strength translates to the infield.

I can't embed the clips, but he's ridiculous.
I obviously had heard about his ridiculous glove at 3rd. This is the first I have heard that he has an amazing SS glove as well. Sounds like he is next-to cant miss. Even if his bat doesn’t translate, he will have a future on the defensive side of the ball.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More today in the Athletic on the top 20 Giants prospects. Melissa Lockard is just about as good a reporter as there is for prospects, in addition to being a very nice woman. She makes an interesting point -- the dismal 2022 season for the org as a whole meant that we didn't trade any of our prospects at the deadline, and thus should have more in 2023 than we would have. Silver lining. We won the Arizona Rookie League and Northwest League, and made the Cal League and Eastern League playoffs. Evidence of the depth of the system was apparent in the Rule 5 draft wherein we lost a record NINE players. Here's the top 20:

1. Harrison
2. Luciano
3. Schmitt
4. Matos
5. McCray
6. Arteaga
7. Brown
8. Crawford
9. Whisenhunt
10. Black
11. Silva
12. Bailey
13. Bednar
14. Ramos
15. Pomares
16. Swiney
17. Murphy
18. Roupp
19. Dabovich
20. McDonald

Two things jumped out for me -- McCray has really zoomed up the rankings a la Schmitt. Both could be in SF by years end. Second, Ramos has really dropped. Its especially glaring in light of Villar's rise, as the expectation was that Ramos would have had Villar's season. He's 23 with two consecutive poor seasons in the hitter friendly PCL. We went out and got Haniger and Conforto. There is still time for Heliot, but I'd guess he won't get a chance to break through in SF. He'll probably be traded.

Also, here's the C&P for Schmitt:

3. Casey Schmitt, 3B

B/T: R/R, Age: 23, H/W: 6-2, 215

There were a couple of breakout prospects in the Giants’ system this season, but arguably none gained more helium than Schmitt, who put a disappointing pro debut season behind him with a monster sophomore campaign that left him on the doorstep of the big leagues. The 2020 second-round pick advanced three levels (High A, Double A, Triple A) in 2022, finishing with a .293/.365/.489 line in 126 games. He hit 21 homers and, perhaps most impressively, put up a .342/.378/.517 line in 29 games for Richmond, dominating at a level many Giants hitting prospects have stalled out at.

While Schmitt’s hitting was impressive, it was his defense at third base that separated him from the pack. He earned MiLB’s Gold Glove for third base, showing off a plus arm, soft hands and quick feet. Schmitt also added some versatility to his résumé, appearing at 40 games at shortstop and holding his own at the position. As a hitter, Schmitt is a profile middle-of-the-order bat with some swing-and-miss concerns but plenty of power and a track record of hitting the ball hard to all fields. He gets a lot of elevation on his batted balls and is fairly selective. With Evan Longoria now in Arizona, the Giants will be looking for a new long-term solution at the hot corner and Schmitt — who has many of the same characteristics as Longoria as a player — looks poised to take on that role either late this season or in 2024.

TLDR: We have the best pitching prospect in baseball, who should step in with Webby at the top of the rotation by next year. If Luciano's back is healed, he can stick at SS. Otherwise, he could end up in RF as 3b and 2b seem to be covered by Schmitt and Tyro. Schmitty is coming, and can play SS! Matos needs to work on pitch selection but he can hit and is an amazing CF. McCray is the first 20/20 player in SJ's history and can pick it in CF as well. Needs to cut down on the Ks but should be up by late 2024 if he progresses. Lastly, don't sleep on Arteaga as the SS of the future -- especially of Luciano moves to the OF.

I could see a lineup like this:
C - Bart, Bailey
1B - Davis/Crawford
2B - Tyro
SS - Arteaga
3B - Schmitt
LF - McCray
CF - Matos
RF - Luciano
SP - Webb, Harry, Hjelle, Crawford, Whiz, Black, Silva

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More today in the Athletic on the top 20 Giants prospects. Melissa Lockard is just about as good a reporter as there is for prospects, in addition to being a very nice woman. She makes an interesting point -- the dismal 2022 season for the org as a whole meant that we didn't trade any of our prospects at the deadline, and thus should have more in 2023 than we would have. Silver lining. We won the Arizona Rookie League and Northwest League, and made the Cal League and Eastern League playoffs. Evidence of the depth of the system was apparent in the Rule 5 draft wherein we lost a record NINE players. Here's the top 20:

1. Harrison
2. Luciano
3. Schmitt
4. Matos
5. McCray
6. Arteaga
7. Brown
8. Crawford
9. Whisenhunt
10. Black
11. Silva
12. Bailey
13. Bednar
14. Ramos
15. Pomares
16. Swiney
17. Murphy
18. Roupp
19. Dabovich
20. McDonald

Two things jumped out for me -- McCray has really zoomed up the rankings a la Schmitt. Both could be in SF by years end. Second, Ramos has really dropped. Its especially glaring in light of Villar's rise, as the expectation was that Ramos would have had Villar's season. He's 23 with two consecutive poor seasons in the hitter friendly PCL. We went out and got Haniger and Conforto. There is still time for Heliot, but I'd guess he won't get a chance to break through in SF. He'll probably be traded.

3. Casey Schmitt, 3B

There were a couple of breakout prospects in the Giants’ system this season, but arguably none gained more helium than Schmitt, who put a disappointing pro debut season behind him with a monster sophomore campaign that left him on the doorstep of the big leagues. The 2020 second-round pick advanced three levels (High A, Double A, Triple A) in 2022, finishing with a .293/.365/.489 line in 126 games. He hit 21 homers and, perhaps most impressively, put up a .342/.378/.517 line in 29 games for Richmond, dominating at a level many Giants hitting prospects have stalled out at.

While Schmitt’s hitting was impressive, it was his defense at third base that separated him from the pack. He earned MiLB’s Gold Glove for third base, showing off a plus arm, soft hands and quick feet. Schmitt also added some versatility to his résumé, appearing at 40 games at shortstop and holding his own at the position. As a hitter, Schmitt is a profile middle-of-the-order bat with some swing-and-miss concerns but plenty of power and a track record of hitting the ball hard to all fields. He gets a lot of elevation on his batted balls and is fairly selective. With Evan Longoria now in Arizona, the Giants will be looking for a new long-term solution at the hot corner and Schmitt — who has many of the same characteristics as Longoria as a player — looks poised to take on that role either late this season or in 2024.

TLDR: We have the best pitching prospect in baseball, who should step in with Webby at the top of the rotation by next year. If Luciano's back is healed, he can stick at SS. Otherwise, he could end up in RF as 3b and 2b seem to be covered by Schmitt and Tyro. Schmitty is coming, and can play SS! Matos needs to work on pitch selection but he can hit and is an amazing CF. McCray is the first 20/20 player in SJ's history and can pick it in CF as well. Needs to cut down on the Ks but should be up by late 2024 if he progresses. Lastly, don't sleep on Arteaga as the SS of the future -- especially of Luciano moves to the OF.

C - Bart, Bailey
1B - Davis/Crawford
2B - Tyro
SS - Arteaga
3B - Schmitt
LF - McCray
CF - Matos
RF - Luciano
That's some good stuff right there. I do wonder if Luciano and Schmitt flip positions at some point soon.

Isn't there some talk that Arteaga isn't that good defensively at shortstop? I thought someone here mentioned that he may eventually get moved somewhere else as well. If he can hit as he moves up the ladder, he may push Estrada out the org.

Ramos' slide is concerning. I do hope he can right the ship this year. Its a huge make or break year for him.

I can see Schmitt in SF sometime this year but McCray in SF this year sounds really aggressive. I could see it, if he hits really well and moves up the ladder quickly, and if the old September expansion of rosters was still in effect. Now? It will take a horrible season in SF and a constantly moving shuffle of outfielders in SF for that to happen.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Harrison
2. Luciano
3. Schmitt
4. Matos
5. McCray
6. Arteaga
7. Brown
8. Crawford
9. Whisenhunt
10. Black
11. Silva
12. Bailey
13. Bednar
14. Ramos
15. Pomares
16. Swiney
17. Murphy
18. Roupp
19. Dabovich
20. McDonald

3. Casey Schmitt, 3B

C - Bart, Bailey
1B - Davis/Crawford
2B - Tyro
SS - Arteaga
3B - Schmitt
LF - McCray
CF - Matos
RF - Luciano
No Cole Waites? Or is he no longer a "prospect" since he's actually played a few MLB games? Or do we have 20 prospects who are better than him?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Cole Waites? Or is he no longer a "prospect" since he's actually played a few MLB games? Or do we have 20 prospects who are better than him?
Good catch! He didn't appear in enough games to lose his rookie status so he is still eligible to make the list. Weird that he did not. I would think he would at least be the #15 guy on the list.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is typically hard for relievers to make these lists. I dont think Doval made these lists that often, even though he was on radars.

As far as general inclusion, I think the general rule of thumb is that if a player is eligible for ROY, he is eligible for these lists. That’s how I treat it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's some good stuff right there. I do wonder if Luciano and Schmitt flip positions at some point soon.

Isn't there some talk that Arteaga isn't that good defensively at shortstop? I thought someone here mentioned that he may eventually get moved somewhere else as well. If he can hit as he moves up the ladder, he may push Estrada out the org.

Ramos' slide is concerning. I do hope he can right the ship this year. Its a huge make or break year for him.

I can see Schmitt in SF sometime this year but McCray in SF this year sounds really aggressive. I could see it, if he hits really well and moves up the ladder quickly, and if the old September expansion of rosters was still in effect. Now? It will take a horrible season in SF and a constantly moving shuffle of outfielders in SF for that to happen.

6. Aeverson Arteaga, SS

B/T: R/R, Age: 19, H/W: 6-1, 170

While the health of Luciano’s back may ultimately be the reason he moves off shortstop, it is entirely possible that Luciano would have been pushed off the position for Arteaga at some point anyway. Arteaga doesn’t have the offensive ceiling of his system mate, but he is an outstanding defensive shortstop who scouts believe will remain at the position. He isn’t just a good defender, however. He also holds promise as a hitter, as demonstrated by an age-19 season with San Jose in 2022 during which he hit .270/.345/.431 with 14 home runs, 84 RBIs and 11 stolen bases in 122 games despite being more than two years younger than the average Cal Leaguer.

Arteaga is an excellent athlete who moves well side-to-side. He has a strong throwing arm and soft hands. Like many young infielders, he still needs to improve his consistency on the routine play, but the physical tools are all there to be an above-average defender in the big leagues. He’s still growing into his body but already showed power to the alleys. He isn’t likely to be a middle-of-the-order home run threat at the top levels, but he should have more than enough power to keep defenses honest. He has a solid approach and works the count well — though like McCray, that has led to inflated strikeout numbers (he whiffed 155 times in 2022). He’ll need to improve his contact rate to maintain a decent average, but he offers a solid floor with his defensive abilities and at his ceiling could be an impact everyday player at shortstop.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

6. Aeverson Arteaga, SS

B/T: R/R, Age: 19, H/W: 6-1, 170

While the health of Luciano’s back may ultimately be the reason he moves off shortstop, it is entirely possible that Luciano would have been pushed off the position for Arteaga at some point anyway. Arteaga doesn’t have the offensive ceiling of his system mate, but he is an outstanding defensive shortstop who scouts believe will remain at the position. He isn’t just a good defender, however. He also holds promise as a hitter, as demonstrated by an age-19 season with San Jose in 2022 during which he hit .270/.345/.431 with 14 home runs, 84 RBIs and 11 stolen bases in 122 games despite being more than two years younger than the average Cal Leaguer.

Arteaga is an excellent athlete who moves well side-to-side. He has a strong throwing arm and soft hands. Like many young infielders, he still needs to improve his consistency on the routine play, but the physical tools are all there to be an above-average defender in the big leagues. He’s still growing into his body but already showed power to the alleys. He isn’t likely to be a middle-of-the-order home run threat at the top levels, but he should have more than enough power to keep defenses honest. He has a solid approach and works the count well — though like McCray, that has led to inflated strikeout numbers (he whiffed 155 times in 2022). He’ll need to improve his contact rate to maintain a decent average, but he offers a solid floor with his defensive abilities and at his ceiling could be an impact everyday player at shortstop.
Maybe I was applying Luciano's limitations on Arteaga. Thanks for sharing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I was applying Luciano's limitations on Arteaga. Thanks for sharing.
I am not looking it up to confirm, but I think I saw somewhere a take that Arteaga had a very rough season with the glove, and that he was showing limitations for his defensive projectability. I probably posted as much after I saw that.

I hope this scouting report is more accurate than the one I saw.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Harrison
2. Luciano
3. Schmitt
4. Matos
5. McCray
6. Arteaga
7. Brown
8. Crawford
9. Whisenhunt
10. Black
11. Silva
12. Bailey
13. Bednar
14. Ramos
15. Pomares
16. Swiney
17. Murphy
18. Roupp
19. Dabovich
20. McDonald

3. Casey Schmitt, 3B

C - Bart, Bailey
1B - Davis/Crawford
2B - Tyro
SS - Arteaga
3B - Schmitt
LF - McCray
CF - Matos
RF - Luciano

No mention of Wade... did he move on? I must have missed that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants have apparently signed Taiwanese prospect Chen-Hsun Lee (I have also seen him referred to as Lee Chen-Hsun). He is a 20 yo International amateur, but is supposed to be a pretty highly regarded prospect.