• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doug Baldwin Two year Deal

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreeing to a two-year contract with wide receiver Doug Baldwin, a league source said. Article below is from ESPN.

The Seattle Seahawks locked up another core player Thursday by agreeing to a two-year contract with wide receiver Doug Baldwin, a league source said.
[+] EnlargePhoto by Elsa/Getty ImagesDoug Baldwin was second on the Seahawks in receptions and yards to Golden Tate this past season.

Financial terms were not immediately available, but Baldwin was scheduled to make $2.2 million this season as a restricted free agent. The new deal allows Baldwin to hit unrestricted free agency after the 2015 season, when he'll be entering his sixth year in the league.
The contract is in line with the Seahawks' philosophy of signing productive young players to relatively short-term deals. Their thinking: A shorter contract rewards a player financially while also serving as incentive for a shot at another lucrative extension when the deal expires.
In April, safety Earl Thomas, coming off his third Pro Bowl appearance in his first four seasons, signed a four-year, $40 million extension that included $27.75 million in guarantees. Nearly two weeks later, cornerback Richard Sherman, who had a league-high 20 interceptions in his first three seasons, signed a four-year, $56 million extension that reportedly includes $40 million in guarantees.

Baldwin has consistently produced since joining the Seahawks as an undrafted rookie in 2011. He led the team's receivers in catches (51), yards (788) and touchdowns (four) that season, and last season ranked second in receptions (50) and yards (778) and tied for first with five touchdowns.
He was particularly effective in the playoffs, his 24-yard catch on third-and-3 early in the fourth quarter helping stall a Saints rally and set up the decisive touchdown, and his 51-yard reception in the NFC Championship Game win over the 49ers setting up the Seahawks' first points after they trailed 10-0. He finished that game with six catches for 106 yards.
Neither Baldwin nor the Seahawks were immediately available for comment.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug remained a team player, and handled this extension with respect to the organization. Considering what he's done as an undrafted rookie, this guy deserves the money. With that being said, I love the deal! This deal ends the same year that guys like Richardson & Norwood will be up for an extension. So it's basically a three year run our WR corp, and then it'll be time to reload. I say this with the expectation that the two rookies shine beginning this year. Norwood is my sleeper of all picks, and I see him making a huge contribution.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update-

The Seattle Times reports reports Baldwin will stay with the team through 2016, and that the deal will be for up to $13 million over two years with $9 million guaranteed.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug remained a team player, and handled this extension with respect to the organization. Considering what he's done as an undrafted rookie, this guy deserves the money. With that being said, I love the deal! .

Well said, 8. I agree.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart move.... Baldwin is a clutch guy for us... Happy about this...

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse(RFA), Richardson and Norwood are all locked up through 2015.

That sets up nicely for Russell Wilson to build chemistry and the team knowing he wont lose any receivers the next year when they are negotiating his deal next offseason.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy to hear about Baldwin being signed thru 2016. He made many a clutch catch last season, he's a baller, the kind of guy you just love having on your side.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin signing his deal today. :suds:

Bo1D-XzCYAAJEd7.jpg

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin was one of the best RECEIVERS on this team last year. Much better fundamental route running and better catch per target ratio (LED NFL through most games in the season until later games) which says something.

Tate arguably is comparable in money with his punt returning abilities. As a RECEIVER I don't miss Tate at all. Unreliable route running and as a result disappearing in games? I wont miss him THAT much. Tate for special teams? Will miss him a TON, we didn't come close to replacing him this year and Percy is not a replacement, especially with his injury history and the money we are paying him. Yes he can be as good as Tate, but I don't want him back there for $10M+ a year as opposed to 6+.

That said, would I rather have Baldwin over Tate when it just comes to reg. offense? Absolutely. He was a clutch WR, made the big WTF 3rd down grabs, and was Wilson's best target overall when throws were made.

Money well deserved IMO. This keeps our core WR group good for another 3 years. IF (and it's a biggie) Harvin can stay on the field for 32 more games (excluding playoffs) then yah, our offense will be very decent. If Harvin goes down for 33% of a season or anything more, I see him getting canned in 2017 when the cap hit would only be $9.5M or so (about a $3M savings from what his cap hit by retaining him would be).

Scary thing is, we are STUCK with Harvin for at LEAST 2 more years, so here's hoping for healthy football from him.