• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doug Baldwin Receives an Extension

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Via ESPN

The deal is worth $46 million with $24 million guaranteed, according to ESPN's Adam Caplan. And the signing means that the team will go into training camp with one fewer distraction.

Just over 11M AAV.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same thing I posted on Seahawks Forum:

Think I'd give it a B- grade.

I love Baldwin and the chemistry with Wilson keeps me from giving this a C (average) but it's a good amount of money to a WR with really only one amazing standout year. That said, no denying that Baldwin brought it the second half and is without question Wilson's favorite target. That's without any major threat at runningback either, so there's that. I think more of his production had to do with Carroll finally saying, "Well Wilson, you're earning the big bucks now... go prove you're worth it *unties shackles*)

If he can duplicate that (BIG IF, CBs/Safeties WILL be focusing WAY more on him this year) then it's an obvious steal. If he can't duplicate that (moreso saying going back to 2014 type #s) then it's a bust signing, but it's all speculative at this point.

Baldwin is a player who has improved every year and doesn't seem like the guy that would get a good contract and just get fat/happy. He's a pretty fiery/competitive guy as any Seahawks fan would know. I personally like a WR that gets a LITTLE pissy on the sideline and tells the offense to pull their heads out of their ass lol.

A B- signing is in no way bad but as much as I'd love to give some A+ signing (like Bennett/Avril's contracts :)) can't justify it.

Guywithtoaster

Don't bane the dillies!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,515.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when everyone on sports SportsHoopla said Seattle would lose the majority of their core players :dhd:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$11M a year may seem steep for a guy who's really only had 1 big season and isn't blessed with rare size or speed, but it'll look better and better as other guys who are around the same caliber or even lesser sign for bigger deals. There's also a premium on maintaining continuity in the passing game. This deal should keep QB & top WR together through the remainder of Baldwin's prime years.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a lot for a soon to be #2 WR, but it's right in line with the Allen Hurns deal.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$11M a year may seem steep for a guy who's really only had 1 big season and isn't blessed with rare size or speed, but it'll look better and better as other guys who are around the same caliber or even lesser sign for bigger deals. There's also a premium on maintaining continuity in the passing game. This deal should keep QB & top WR together through the remainder of Baldwin's prime years.

Hurns and Allen only had one "good season" too. And Allens was 3 years ago.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when everyone on sports SportsHoopla said Seattle would lose the majority of their core players :dhd:
I remember saying Lynch was going to run out of gas soon and that paying Russell Wilson likely meant losing a couple of players. I'd say I was pretty close.

Anyways, I can't see why anyone would have a problem with a contract like this. He obviously earned it. Seattle has a history of trying way too hard to get 2nd tier WRs so when they have a proven one who flashed clutch ability then you don't let him walk.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say he's a much better talent than Baldwin or Hurns. I mean, if you gave me the choice to have any of the 3, I'm taking Allen in a heartbeat. He was on an absolute tear last year before getting hurt. His 16 game extrapolation was 134 rec/1450 yards/8 TD, which would've been a Pro Bowl season. Of course, injuries have to come into the conversation, but when healthy he's a superior talent.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember saying Lynch was going to run out of gas soon and that paying Russell Wilson likely meant losing a couple of players. I'd say I was pretty close.

Well, to be fair, most Seattle fans thought the same thing about Lynch, which is one reason we were so excited when Rawls was tearing it up last year while Lynch was torn up. Additionally, not paying Russell Wilson still would've had the team lose "a couple players" so no points for vagueness.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't even trust him with the ball on the final play of the SB...

(sorry Hawks fans, had to, PC is brutal in title games).

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen is the better WR. Seattle is lucky SF and LA is in their division this year.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So glad they still have Lynch, Okung, Unger, Sweezy, Irvin, Bryant and Mebane to prove us all wrong... :D

Three of those guys are either retired, or old/overpaid/ineffective. And you know damn well some of those other guys were never core players. Wilson, Sherman, Bennett, ET, Wagner, guys who are perennial studs in their prime, THOSE are core players.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three of those guys are either retired, or old/overpaid/ineffective. And you know damn well some of those other guys were never core players. Wilson, Sherman, Bennett, ET, Wagner, guys who are perennial studs in their prime, THOSE are core players.

Those guys were important parts on their SB winning team, all good starters on that roster. I'd say no different than Baldwin is... I didn't go with starters like Maxwell/Clemons/Browner/McDaniel/Smith for the non-core reason even though they were starters 2-3 years ago too.

And it isn't like they replaced them with equal level talent to when Seattle was a SB winning team. If you wanted to say "hey they'll keep 5 really good players, but let the rest move" then fine. But I would say that the reason their offensive line is a big question mark isn't just that they let 4 of the 5 starters leave the past 2 seasons, but they weren't replacing them with similar known talent.

But that's how the NFL is in the cap area, you pick and choose what ones you keep and which ones you put a high priority on replacing with a high pick/big FA, and which ones you hope to get by with a lesser pick/FA.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anyways, I can't see why anyone would have a problem with a contract like this. He obviously earned it. Seattle has a history of trying way too hard to get 2nd tier WRs so when they have a proven one who flashed clutch ability then you don't let him walk.

Plus he really is Wilson's "security blanket" needs a play he's looking for Baldwin......