• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Don't usually ask for advice, but...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a tough decision to make today.

The league is a 13 team 5x5 roto with daily changes and innings limits. My pitching staff has carried me thus far and looks to be pretty awesome. I currently occupy 3rd place in the standings with a glaring need fior speed (last place in steals).

I have the number 1 waiver spot, and for some reason Alejandro De Aza was dropped. He comes off waivers tomorrow. Do I use my claim on him? Will be bring enough boost to give me a couple points here, or do I need to make a bigger move?

My current hitting line-up is as follows:

C- Salvador Perez
1B- Kendrys Morales
2B- Jedd Gyorko
SS- Troy Tulowitzki
3B- Kevin Youkilis
IF- Jed Lowrie
OF- Allan Craig
OF- Carlos Gomez
OF- Starling Marte
OF- Todd Frazier
UTIL- Ike Davis
Bench- Evan Gattis- has actually been my active C, but is the next drop for me
Aaron Hill- obvious hole at 2b, but don't want to trade for temporary fill in
DL- Curtis Granderson
DL- Corey Hart

I have two concerns. First, will De Aza be in my every day line-up long term once my hurt guys get healthy? If not, I do not want to use a claim on him. Second, will he give me enough of a steals boost, or should I pick up a guy like Rajai Davis who doesn't play every day, but will surely steal more bases than De Aza when in? Going that route would allow me to protect my waiver priority for the next time somebody makes a mistake.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I must make the decision by 3 AM EST. Thanks in advance.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a tough decision to make today.

The league is a 13 team 5x5 roto with daily changes and innings limits. My pitching staff has carried me thus far and looks to be pretty awesome. I currently occupy 3rd place in the standings with a glaring need fior speed (last place in steals).

I have the number 1 waiver spot, and for some reason Alejandro De Aza was dropped. He comes off waivers tomorrow. Do I use my claim on him? Will be bring enough boost to give me a couple points here, or do I need to make a bigger move?

My current hitting line-up is as follows:

C- Salvador Perez
1B- Kendrys Morales
2B- Jedd Gyorko
SS- Troy Tulowitzki
3B- Kevin Youkilis
IF- Jed Lowrie
OF- Allan Craig
OF- Carlos Gomez
OF- Starling Marte
OF- Todd Frazier
UTIL- Ike Davis
Bench- Evan Gattis- has actually been my active C, but is the next drop for me
Aaron Hill- obvious hole at 2b, but don't want to trade for temporary fill in
DL- Curtis Granderson
DL- Corey Hart

I have two concerns. First, will De Aza be in my every day line-up long term once my hurt guys get healthy? If not, I do not want to use a claim on him. Second, will he give me enough of a steals boost, or should I pick up a guy like Rajai Davis who doesn't play every day, but will surely steal more bases than De Aza when in? Going that route would allow me to protect my waiver priority for the next time somebody makes a mistake.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I must make the decision by 3 AM EST. Thanks in advance.

Alejandro De Aza is a safe bet to deliver a solid BA and will give you about a steal a week (2 if you're lucky)

Rajai Davis may be a BA risk, but has double the speed potential that Alejando does. He might of been a risk of losing some of those SBs before the season, but now with Reyes out he should see a good amount of ABs near/at the top of the lineup so not only will he deliver more steals but his run production should get a boost.

Also Davis hits better against lefties than righties, but he steals most of his bases against righties so you can't platoon him.
Both have similar HR & RBI potential so discussing either of those two things are a moot point.

Overall I'd rather take the guy getting double the stolen bases with a potentially lower batting average and that's Davis.

As for the rest of your team, if you add Davis you only have him, Gomez, Marte & Tulowitzki for SB's. You need at least one more guy who can get a few stolen bases. With that in mind maybe try trading Gattis to the guy who has McCann on his DL. With Daily changes you can sell him on the fact that the combo of Gattis & McCann could work to his benefit and either trade Gattis straight up or in a package for some SB help (maybe a MI for when the floor drops out on Lowrie)

mike hunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ike Davis is going to face a bunch of Lefties next week you might want to reserve him, Raja Davis is what you are looking for and like you said he will protect your waiver spot..

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate the input guys. Davis is the way I am leaning now. Unfortunately, Gattis is my only real drop option right now. My marginal hitters like Gyorko are in my line-up every day. I have been playing him ahead of Perez, but with the impending return of Mcann and Freeman, he won't get the ABs. Since I have so many hurt guys on my bench, I can't see how I keep Gattis.

I currently carry 7 SPs and I only need 5, but I cannot afford to drop any right now. Once I establish which 5 I want to keep, I should be able to work out a trade for another speed guy and/or a closer in the future.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate the input guys. Davis is the way I am leaning now. Unfortunately, Gattis is my only real drop option right now. My marginal hitters like Gyorko are in my line-up every day. I have been playing him ahead of Perez, but with the impending return of Mcann and Freeman, he won't get the ABs. Since I have so many hurt guys on my bench, I can't see how I keep Gattis.

I currently carry 7 SPs and I only need 5, but I cannot afford to drop any right now. Once I establish which 5 I want to keep, I should be able to work out a trade for another speed guy and/or a closer in the future.

Gattis is such a tough call, especially with McCann having the wrist issue now. I'm trying to keep him and sit Sally P. until he starts to come around, but in our one catcher league, it's not easy. Gattis could still turn out to be one of those guys with the strength of the Hulk and the strikeouts of, say, Arencibia?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Tough spot for sure. I like Gattis a lot, but I feel like a schmuck with a C on my bench and no back up OF in a daily change league. Perez plays every day and will turn things around as the weather heats up.

I was not planning on making a couple of the adds that I did, but when Cueto got hurt, I had to add Cingrani whether I needed him or not. Now all of my weakest offensive options are at positions with benched injured players behind them and nobody else. I don't like my roster balance at the moment, but I don't feel like I can fix it right now without a risky trade.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arencibia, Wellington Castillo, Ianneta, Jaso/Norris, Ellis & Avila are available in our league. With the exception of Arencibia, all those guys are available in my keeper league.
What catchers are available in your league, because (I'm sure Arencibia is gone) if any or almost all those guys are there and you can live with one of them, maybe throw caution to the wind and drop Perez?
Either that or who are you bottom 2 pitchers (besides Cingrani)

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And since I listed the catchers available in my keeper league, Gattis is my only catcher there. I said screw it and went with him and no backup because I needed that spot for something else. I don't know what will happen in the future with Gattis, and granted I play in h2h as opposed to roto, but given catchers emerge each year just like closers do, it might be worth the risk to drop Perez. Given his numbers right now, do you see any team in your league running out to pick him up for their bench?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucroy is the best C option on the wire, and there are a couple other playable options. I am watching the farm system in Seattle to see if they give Zunino a chance.

The plethora of C options is a reason for me to drop Gattis IMO. Every day Cs are so rare and Perez is just that. He has the ability to be a poor man's Mauer, and I am not going to let that go at this stage of the season.

Freeman is on rehab right now and McCann is close. Even if Gattis were able to play 3 days a week (IMO not likely without a McCann trade), I could not hold him long term.

As for the pitching side, I have Wandy Rodriguez and Julio Teheran as 6 and 7 right now. I am not ready to give up on Teheran yet and Wandy could prove to be a valuable trade chip.

I have just offered Kevin Youkilis and Jed Lowrie for Paul Goldschmidt to a guy who is starting Brandon Crawford at SS and Donaldson at 3B. I don't think he will bite, but you never know. His current options are pretty horrible.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went ahead and dropped Gattis for Davis, and I already regret it. Oh well. There are many good Cs out there if Perez isn't cutting it. With Youkilis leaving in today's game, I could be down to nothing on my bench if he is injured. That would be rough.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went ahead and dropped Gattis for Davis, and I already regret it. Oh well. There are many good Cs out there if Perez isn't cutting it. With Youkilis leaving in today's game, I could be down to nothing on my bench if he is injured. That would be rough.

I was going to be your first response to this thread, started typing up some shit, then decided maybe I was too drunk and not to embarrass myself in front of our new posters.......

Not that it matters now, but I was thinking about something like trying to trade Gattis for a Revere type......better steals than De Aza since that is what you are looking for, and a everyday player with similar steal potential as Davis, with better average and run potential then Davis......and hopefully the Revere owner is upset with early production and him being moved down to the 7 spot......

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to be your first response to this thread, started typing up some shit, then decided maybe I was too drunk and not to embarrass myself in front of our new posters.......

Not that it matters now, but I was thinking about something like trying to trade Gattis for a Revere type......better steals than De Aza since that is what you are looking for, and a everyday player with similar steal potential as Davis, with better average and run potential then Davis......and hopefully the Revere owner is upset with early production and him being moved down to the 7 spot......

This is good advice. Clearly I should have tried to trade Gattis, but from past experience I don't think anybody would have been interested. Guys in my league will overpay for name brands, but they typically aren't impressed by hot starting unknowns like Gattis, especially when future ABs are in question. Thanks for the reply.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not normally one to ask advice either, but I have a question.....

How long is it acceptable to fuck with a guy in a 2 catcher league that his two catchers were Wilin Rosario and AJ Ellis dropping Rosario to add Ianetta and then blaming his toddler daughter for making the transaction so all us forgiving Nebraskan's would be understanding for this Iowan and cancel his fuck up???

And yes, I had #1 waiver priority in the league and was giddy as a mofo at potentially adding Rosario......

No way his daughter "accidentally" dropped Rosario, while picking up the best available replacement off the free agency just by fucking with his tablet punching buttons thinking it's a game.......:laugh3:

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i saw you mention it....but my advice when i first read was trade lowrie and grab evereth cabrera for SB

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not normally one to ask advice either, but I have a question.....

How long is it acceptable to fuck with a guy in a 2 catcher league that his two catchers were Wilin Rosario and AJ Ellis dropping Rosario to add Ianetta and then blaming his toddler daughter for making the transaction so all us forgiving Nebraskan's would be understanding for this Iowan and cancel his fuck up???

And yes, I had #1 waiver priority in the league and was giddy as a mofo at potentially adding Rosario......

No way his daughter "accidentally" dropped Rosario, while picking up the best available replacement off the free agency just by fucking with his tablet punching buttons thinking it's a game.......:laugh3:

fuck'em :thumb:

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is good advice. Clearly I should have tried to trade Gattis, but from past experience I don't think anybody would have been interested. Guys in my league will overpay for name brands, but they typically aren't impressed by hot starting unknowns like Gattis, especially when future ABs are in question. Thanks for the reply.

So did De Aza clear waivers? Not that you have anything I'd drop for him especially since you added Davis, but just curious.......

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys in my league will overpay for name brands, but they typically aren't impressed by hot starting unknowns like Gattis
I think that's how it is in every league. Everyone wants the "big name" even if they aren't producing.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck with? Hell, I wouldn't believe that story at all. Absolutely no way that could happen. I would keep it the way it is. He's just having buyer's remorse.

Zig

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would probably just 'punt' on steals. Don't worry about them. Happened to me in a 14 team league, missed out on saves but I'm strong everywhere else, pretty much tied for 1st. Getting some marginal guy to get you a few steals ain't gonna help you anyway from the looks of it.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck with? Hell, I wouldn't believe that story at all. Absolutely no way that could happen. I would keep it the way it is. He's just having buyer's remorse.

Thank you!!!!......and yes, we did let this happen.....I protested of course, because I was the #1 waiver priority and the most to benefit, but accidentally dropping the wrong guy and then trying to blame your daughter for doing it is absolutely lame.......