• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dominique Easley

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ex-1st round pick Easley waived by Patriots

I seem to remember he was the guy the hawks wanted in the draft in 2014 before the Patriots took him a pick or two ahead of us. Anyone think the Hawks will kick the tires?
Normally I'd say yes, but the Pats actually took a bigger cap hit by cutting him then keeping him on the roster, so I got to think there is something up with his health. Pats aren't stupid. Interesting for sure though.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I'd say yes, but the Pats actually took a bigger cap hit by cutting him then keeping him on the roster, so I got to think there is something up with his health. Pats aren't stupid. Interesting for sure though.
Article mentions they may have a worry about legal proceedings surrounding his dog biting someone in Florida. Seems an odd thing for the team to be worried about.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article mentions they may have a worry about legal proceedings surrounding his dog biting someone in Florida. Seems an odd thing for the team to be worried about.
Yeah....the Pats worry about legal stuff like that. :stephena: Not!

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....the Pats worry about legal stuff like that. :stephena: Not!

No, I think you have it wrong. The Pats don't like that he isn't truly committed to the lifestyle, a la Aaron Hernandez.... they just had to let him go

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasn't he the guy who looked drugged out and went to the police station or pats cops, 24 hours before a playoff game? If so I think that would be the number one reason why he's no longer on the team.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasn't he the guy who looked drugged out and went to the police station or pats cops, 24 hours before a playoff game? If so I think that would be the number one reason why he's no longer on the team.
Nope that was Chandler Jones, traded to the Cards.:dhd: However Easley is a head case himself, threaten to quit his college team on several occasions during team meetings. I'm sure it's his knees that got him cut.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's BB rolling a very big set of dice. Releasing Easley now he's hoping someone will sign him and take that cap hit? It also allows BB to look for his replacement in the draft. Even if someone doesn't pick up Easley, if his replacement comes from the mid to late rounds the Pats could absorb the cap hit?

Then you combine the time being on IR, Easley not fully committed to the medical staff, multiple off field issues and not a great locer room guy. I think BB said enough was enough and willing to gamble?

Does this open up the possibility of BB trying to move up in the draft now and get someone he really likes? 11 picks, a bunch comp picks he can't trade. He knows he can't sign 11 players?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he will fly through waivers, no other team will sign him and take over that cap hit. I could be wrong because some teams out there make the stupidest mistakes year in and year out ( Browns i'm looking at you ). He will then get snatched up after he passes through waivers and the Pats are on the hook for 3.9 million

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't make it through waivers, there is hardly any cap hit for a team that claims him. A little over $1 mil for both 2016 & 17. Plus, 2016 was guaranteed, so the Patriots will likely have to pay the difference between that number & 3rd year league minimum pay if he is claimed or pay the whole thing if he is not.

Obviously there has to be some legal issues hidden in the background for the Patriots to release & take a bigger cap hit with him gone than with him on the roster.

With that being said, there is little reason for one of the lesser teams to not claim him. The risk for that team is not high & the talent return justifies any possible risk.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he will fly through waivers, no other team will sign him and take over that cap hit. I could be wrong because some teams out there make the stupidest mistakes year in and year out ( Browns i'm looking at you ). He will then get snatched up after he passes through waivers and the Pats are on the hook for 3.9 million

There is no cap hit for a team that claims him other than $1 mil for 2016 & $1 mil for 2017. A team that claims him also acquires his 5th year option rights.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are offsets in his contract so even if someone signs him now (that he has cleared waivers), it will lessen the hit the Pats take a bit.

clemtheslowson

back from the dead
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's BB rolling a very big set of dice. Releasing Easley now he's hoping someone will sign him and take that cap hit? It also allows BB to look for his replacement in the draft. Even if someone doesn't pick up Easley, if his replacement comes from the mid to late rounds the Pats could absorb the cap hit?

Then you combine the time being on IR, Easley not fully committed to the medical staff, multiple off field issues and not a great locer room guy. I think BB said enough was enough and willing to gamble?

Does this open up the possibility of BB trying to move up in the draft now and get someone he really likes? 11 picks, a bunch comp picks he can't trade. He knows he can't sign 11 players?
Don't forget, they cannot pick higher than 29th overall.