• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dom Ravioli last game ever tribute thread

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never liked him, both from the standpoint of his play on the field but also his actions on the field (or at least in the tunnel getting on to the field, during warmups, and of course leaving the field).

But, when I look at this team and the holes that need to be filled, and the cap space that we have to try and fill them with, it pains me to say that another veteran minimum contract and another season for Ravioli isnt the worst of scenarios we are facing.

I am all for letting Austin compete for the job as well as a LATE round draft pick, but I dont see a scenario where the Lions go after a much higher priced FA. He played the best football I remember ever seeing from him this season. The way he graded out for his position was the highest I think he has ever achieved as well.

In today's era of the salary cap you are forced to pick and choose where that $ can be spent to get the biggest improvement over the other options you have available. As per usual the Lions are going to have only a limited amount of $ to work with. As unpopular as it may be, we have A LOT of areas where those dollars can offer a tremondous amount more of improvement than at C.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never liked him, both from the standpoint of his play on the field but also his actions on the field (or at least in the tunnel getting on to the field, during warmups, and of course leaving the field).

But, when I look at this team and the holes that need to be filled, and the cap space that we have to try and fill them with, it pains me to say that another veteran minimum contract and another season for Ravioli isnt the worst of scenarios we are facing.

I am all for letting Austin compete for the job as well as a LATE round draft pick, but I dont see a scenario where the Lions go after a much higher priced FA. He played the best football I remember ever seeing from him this season. The way he graded out for his position was the highest I think he has ever achieved as well.

In today's era of the salary cap you are forced to pick and choose where that $ can be spent to get the biggest improvement over the other options you have available. As per usual the Lions are going to have only a limited amount of $ to work with. As unpopular as it may be, we have A LOT of areas where those dollars can offer a tremondous amount more of improvement than at C.

:agree: - :gaah: - :L.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5m Dominic Raiola got a monster positive grade from @pff for the finale and finishes as the site's top-ranked center in the NFL. Damn.

Remind me to never reference PFF ever again for any debate.

Everyone hates the guy bro, but he didnt play bad football this season. Something in the area of a little more than the vet minimum, say $1.25m is a steal. I'm sorry, but the "business" of the game dictates that sometimes.

There are much bigger holes to fill. I am not aware of any pending FA centers that would be an improvement so we are looking at the draft or a trade. Do you want them to spend an early round pick on a C this year or on some of the much more pressing needs?

Last edited by a moderator:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I want them to take a C in the 5th round and plug him in like everyone else does. Do you know the starting C for the Broncos is Manny Ramirez, former Matt Millen 5th round pick? How's that for a punch in the balls.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I want them to take a C in the 5th round and plug him in like everyone else does. Do you know the starting C for the Broncos is Manny Ramirez, former Matt Millen 5th round pick? How's that for a punch in the balls.

There have been several of his picks (even his later round ones) that have gone on to be productive in the league.

I have stated that a late round pick to compete with Ravioli and Austin is fine with me. But my expectation from that would be Dom would win that competition.

I think the guy is a complete asshat as much as the next guy and if you can find an improvement at near to his cost I will be the first on board with that. But I dont see where that will come from short of him being beaten out in training camp by someone else, and I dont think we have that on the roster now nor will a late round pick do that. I could be wrong, great if I am, but replacing him next year is not even close to the top on my list of areas we need to get better first.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the guy is a complete asshat as much as the next guy...but replacing him next year is not even close to the top on my list of areas we need to get better first.

I love his attitude. I feel like me and Dom have a lot in common in that area. I just want to see a C who can move a pile and he can't. I've seen everything there is to see from him and now I want to see someone else. I appreciate what he's done here, I'm just ready to move on. Not all areas have to be "top of list, spend an early pick" stuff. Even if he resigns for 1 more year they need SOMEBODY to take over eventually. FA and/or draft, take a C, please.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love his attitude. I feel like me and Dom have a lot in common in that area. I just want to see a C who can move a pile and he can't. I've seen everything there is to see from him and now I want to see someone else. I appreciate what he's done here, I'm just ready to move on. Not all areas have to be "top of list, spend an early pick" stuff. Even if he resigns for 1 more year they need SOMEBODY to take over eventually. FA and/or draft, take a C, please.

:agree: with every part of that post. But until that guy is on the roster and ready to take over as an improvement I would resign Ravioli. :bawling:

It is what it is sometimes in this game. It sucks but I am sick and tired of this team losing and will take anybody on the roster that could help in doing that, no matter what I may feel about them personally. I happen to think that Willie Young might be the dumbest player in the NFL, but I would like to have him back next year despite that. I hate Burleson as well, just want him to shut his damn mouth because his play doesnt dictate he should have anything to say about anything, but because of his contract the Lions could do worse than have him as the #3 or #4 WR, so back he'll come.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BUMP

Now can the extra year expirement be over? Meow was spot on with his reasons for keeping a extra year. I use to defend Dom and his calls for blocking assignments. Next year the Lions can get whiff blocks from someone else cheaper. Whether it be Swanson or another rookie.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BUMP

Now can the extra year expirement be over? Meow was spot on with his reasons for keeping a extra year. I use to defend Dom and his calls for blocking assignments. Next year the Lions can get whiff blocks from someone else cheaper. Whether it be Swanson or another rookie.

Swanson is young and probably will be better than Dom, especially by next year, but I wouldn't mind bringing in a center this off season.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're bring Rob back? Is that what you're saying gandy? :noidea:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Gandy!

Can you accomplish what our spineless, self-elected Board President wasn't man enough to even attempt?

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I was thinking.

I hope what you were thinkin' is right.

And I hope Ravioli never gets his number retired. As awful as he is-was-will be. And as big of a dickburger as he is, they still let him have the C on his chest. That'd suck if his name goes up there.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would be cool is if he made two banners. One of them with Ravioli, any QB before Stafford, Millen, and maybe one of Millen's 1st round WRs not named Calvin.

Put that one up after a loss.