• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does TO get in next year in his first year on the ballot?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though TO was crazy. Got to admit that there was a time that he was considered the best WR in all off football.

Receving yards: 15,934 (2nd)
TD's: 153 (3rd)
Pro Bowls: 6

Also one of only nine players in NFL history to catch 1,000 career passes.

EASY first ballot player.

Cris Carter didn't get in till his 3rd ballot IIRC.

It is not always about whether a player is deserving...it is about WHO ELSE is also deserving as to when a player gets in. And right now Harrison is the next WR to get in no matter what. And Bruce might even see a push before TO does.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voters also remember if someone was a tool, and don't give them first ballot honors. They will purposely deflate an ego by making the player wait a few go arounds.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cris Carter didn't get in till his 3rd ballot IIRC.

It is not always about whether a player is deserving...it is about WHO ELSE is also deserving as to when a player gets in. And right now Harrison is the next WR to get in no matter what. And Bruce might even see a push before TO does.

Cris Carter wasn't even near TO's level. He caught a bunch of TD's but was nothing much more than a possession receiver and red zone threat. Kind of a Keyshawn Johnson type.

TO was much more explosive and dominant who could take the top off a defense. TO, Moss and CJ are the best three receivers we will see in our lifetimes. Rice and Harrison are in the next tier but wouldn't be who they were without playing with HOF QB's.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cris Carter wasn't even near TO's level. He caught a bunch of TD's but was nothing much more than a possession receiver and red zone threat. Kind of a Keyshawn Johnson type.

TO was much more explosive and dominant who could take the top off a defense. TO, Moss and CJ are the best three receivers we will see in our lifetimes. Rice and Harrison are in the next tier but wouldn't be who they were without playing with HOF QB's.

Right. Rich Gannon was the machine driving a 40 year old Jerry Rice to 90 catch, 1200 yard seasons.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just remember when he was a Niner, and after a TD in Dallas ran back and stood on the star like he was God...then got flattened by the Dallas DB (his name escapes me, believe he was ex-Bama player).

Twas pure awesomeness.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. Rich Gannon was the machine driving a 40 year old Jerry Rice to 90 catch, 1200 yard seasons.

Funny, last time I checked. Gannon was a three time all-pro and 4 time pro-bowler.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just remember when he was a Niner, and after a TD in Dallas ran back and stood on the star like he was God...then got flattened by the Dallas DB (his name escapes me, believe he was ex-Bama player).

Twas pure awesomeness.

George Teague was that Cowboy.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, last time I checked. Gannon was a three time all-pro and 4 time pro-bowler.

Who didn't do much of anything until he was throwing to Hall of Famers.

Funny how that works.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah no chance. He'll get in....but Marvin Harrison will get in first.

Next year will be:
Farve
Harrison
Pace
Warner
Greene

No chance? Sure there is.

In our lifetime the only WRs better than TO are Randy Moss and Megatron. If he doesn't get in on the first ballot it's because of elitism.

Period.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the fuck what if TO was a tool. His play on the field is what matters, and that should make him a FIRST ballot HOF

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really hard to go in on the first ballot, but I think he'll do just that. I'll put him ahead of both Bruce and Harrison.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance? Sure there is.

In our lifetime the only WRs better than TO are Randy Moss and Megatron. If he doesn't get in on the first ballot it's because of elitism.

Period.

It's how the HOF voting works. You can call it elitism, it probably is, but this is just how it works.

There are a lot of great players that don't get in first ballot. And it's not like TO was such an elite player that he demands 1st ballot induction especially when you factor in how he often hurt his teams as much as he helped them by being an idiot.

The difference between TO and Marvin Harrison or Isaac Bruce isn't big enough to skip over those other two just to put TO in the HOF 1st.

But of course I could be wrong. The HOF voters are complete and utter idiots IMO and often make huge mistakes. But I can't imagine them jumping to put in a guy like TO 1st ballot because of the idiot things he did over his career.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the fuck what if TO was a tool. His play on the field is what matters, and that should make him a FIRST ballot HOF

HOF is about more than just your play on the field. It is about your overall contributions to the game. It's why there are plenty of people in the HOF that never played football.

The fact that he imploded one team is going to be pretty damn relevant when they are discussing whether to vote for him.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When Carter retired he was 2nd on the list of receiving yards all time and 2nd all time in TD's all time. TO is 2nd and 3rd now (and just like Carter TO won't be that high much longer). Carter was an 8 time pro bowler. TO was a 6 time pro bowler.

I agree that TO had more talent but Carter had just as good of a resume at the time as TO has now.

Edit: Wait!!!! Did you just say Rice was in a tier below TO, Moss and CJ? :scratch:
That must be a typo.

Quit honestly you have no business in this discussion if you don't put Jerry Rice as the greatest WR to ever play the game. That point is absolutely inarguable.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edit: Wait!!!! Did you just say Rice was in a tier below TO, Moss and CJ? :scratch:
That must be a typo.

No. Rice just played forever. Had the benefit of playing with two of the greatest QB's ever, Montana and Young. Also, a 3 time all pro in Rich Gannon at the peak of his career.

If you recall, he left SF because TO came onto the scene and Rice's ego wouldn't let him play second fiddle to the better WR. Not to take away from Rice completely. He was very good for a very long time.

The difference is TO, Moss and CJ are every defensive coach's game plan to stop and simply couldn't because they were so dominant.

Rice and Harrison were great route runners with amazing supporting casts. SF had probably the greatest team of all time. Harrison had arguably the greatest QB to ever play in the prime of his career. Same thing with Holt and Bruce, everyone had to worry about Marshall Faulk while they were running rampant against 1 on 1 coverage.

Moss had trash QB's most of his career, when he got Brady.... He set records.
TO had Young at the end of his career. He had Mcnabb and Romo. Those guys wont even reach the hall of fame ballot.
CJ had Kitna, Orvlosky and Stafford.